Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 01:13 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #9982
Windshield repair and insurance

Couple weeks ago on 101 in Northern California truck kicked up rock and dinged windshield/pulled over in next town got epoxy fix at glass shop even though larger than quarter. Put piece of gorilla tape inside of star only to monitor any crack spreading (and to make me feel good). Two days later hear this banging outside pillar on driver side-pulled over and see loose rubber molding-get gorilla tape out and tape it down heading for Phoenix. Several times on way down slowly have to redo tape due to heat. Called mobile tv repair and guy tells me windshield installation sucks and will have to be replaced and ordered from Oregon. Fortunately staying with family waiting for new windshield-5 days later take rig over to install- guy tells me windshield had notice saying Thor window frame maybe out of square etc. and use caution during install. Had to wait 24 hours for urethane to set-repair guy didn’t put in new rubber molding cause wasn’t a good fit so used liberal amount of urethane and set it in/now really tight all around window and best part it is so much quieter.
Insurance-am with Progressive and person suggested windshield insurance so for $3 extra a month totally covered on this replacement which was $6000-big relief.
Forgot to mention I have 2016 Thor Axis

Old 04-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We had a rock off a big rig hit our car windshield last year. Found out if you are a Florida resident (Florida insurance policy) that insurance companies have to replace one windshield a year with no deductible. Must be part of the reason Florida insurance policies are so much more expensive.

Already got a small crack in our DP windshield from a flat bed big rig blasting down the interstate throwing rocks all over the place. Probably wait until the fall to replace it. I figure as soon as I sit someplace for a week or two and get it replaced I'll just get it cracked out on the road again.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote