Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Windshield rubber trim

Coming through Alabama last week about 5 feet of the black rubber windshield trim came off. On my coach this is a heavy duty black rubber piece that is pretty thick. Got off on an exit and basically stuck it back up and used black Gorilla tape to make sure it stayed.

Yesterday I completed the permanent fix. The rubber trim is made so it simply pushes into a slot around the entire windshield. If you pull on it you can easily remove it. I don't know if it is a common problem with these coming off but it appeared to me that a large gust of wind could certainly pull it off again.

I used a high quality clear silicon and reinstalled the entire rubber trim all around the windshield. Along the bottom of the windshield there was water under the rubber trim piece so it wasn't doing its job anyway. I was careful not to let any of the silicon escape outside the rubber when I pushed it back on.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Having same problem on our windshield - except ours has been reinstalled THREE times. Factory service center, myself and CW.The last time black silicon was used all the way around and it still came off on second day of driving. I can only guess it's function is to provide long term protection for the main windshield gasket. Been without one for about a year now. Last failure was out of wty and Thor has not answered three requests for help on what to do.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
After having a new windshield installed in September, the new rubber strip came loose at the top during a wind/rain storm...way too much water came onto our dashboard etc. Under warranty, our glass installer fixed the problem. To date we have had no more problems.

Hoping you got a good seal !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Coming through Alabama last week about 5 feet of the black rubber windshield trim came off. On my coach this is a heavy duty black rubber piece that is pretty thick. Got off on an exit and basically stuck it back up and used black Gorilla tape to make sure it stayed.

Yesterday I completed the permanent fix. The rubber trim is made so it simply pushes into a slot around the entire windshield. If you pull on it you can easily remove it. I don't know if it is a common problem with these coming off but it appeared to me that a large gust of wind could certainly pull it off again.

I used a high quality clear silicon and reinstalled the entire rubber trim all around the windshield. Along the bottom of the windshield there was water under the rubber trim piece so it wasn't doing its job anyway. I was careful not to let any of the silicon escape outside the rubber when I pushed it back on.
Don't mean to be the harbinger of possibly bad news but silicone does not stick very well either to rubber or to fiberglass so you might have leaks. Thor did a factory fix on mine with black silicone which failed. You can get a very good adhesive made just for windshields the seems to work very well. I've used two brands the Napa windshield sealer and the other was the 3M brand windshield sealer. They both stick to rubber and fiberglass. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol first or a good vodka. Silicone says it can be used used on windshield but they never claim it works. Sometimes it might other times it won't.

Also the source of the leak on mine was not the top of the rubber gasket but the bottom where the water from the windshield is forced upward under the gasket.

I haven't had ... naw I'm not going to say it but you get the idea I'm a happy camper in the rain.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

THOR #5246
Forest, you may be partially correct. I used silicon based on my contracting days installing replacement windows. The pure 100% type I utilize (OSI) has good adhesion to plastic, PVC, tile, and about any other smooth material. I am not so much worried about it sticking to the glass as I am worried about it sticking to the rubber seal. Time will tell but it seemed to adhere to that material as well.

Today I am going to clean all the Gorilla tape marks off the windshield. If I can pull the black trim away easily with my fingers then I will be re-doing using your suggested material. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
The trouble with the fiberglass is usually with the polishes and the waxes that's why cleaning with rubbing alcohol is so important. But I really think the issue is the bottom of the gasket where it can have water pushed up and under the gasket by the air while moving.

I know glass to glass using silicone is great.

Let us know how it works for you. Can't remember the last time it rained here!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Let us know how it works for you. Can't remember the last time it rained here!
We live in totally different areas my friend, I can't remember the last time if DIDN'T rain here.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Rubber trim shrinkage ('the rain was COLD, I tell ya!')

The trim around my 2016 Vegas 25.3 is not coming loose, as far as I can tell, but it does seem to be shrinking a bit, with about 1/2" of gap where the trim does not meet at the bottom-center of the windshield. I brought this to the attention of my (new) service center, so it will be interesting to see what they do about it. Digging the bugs out of that gap is icky. My concern is that if there is 'movement' of the trim, then loosening up is bound to follow.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
The trim around my 2016 Vegas 25.3 is not coming loose, as far as I can tell, but it does seem to be shrinking a bit, with about 1/2" of gap where the trim does not meet at the bottom-center of the windshield. I brought this to the attention of my (new) service center, so it will be interesting to see what they do about it. Digging the bugs out of that gap is icky. My concern is that if there is 'movement' of the trim, then loosening up is bound to follow.
You may have read my post earlier on this thread...
If I were you, I would be requesting a new rubber around the windshield or have Thor approve a repair by a Glass installer...we, recently, had a new windshield installed..the rubber came loose during a strong wind/rain storm and we had a waterfall onto our dashboard ... thankfully, our cat noticed it and we caught it before damage was done !!
Our water was from the top...however, someone else made the comment that, if it comes apart at the bottom...you could have water coming in during driving from wind force.

Good luck !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote