Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
ETS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
windshield wipers 2015 vegas 24.1

our wipers clear about half of windshield - talked with Thor support - they said wipers need adjusting - never heard of adjusting wipers - any help?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Others have had issues of either not clearing enough or going past the window edge.

If Thor tells you how to adjust them please let us know.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I had thought there was a set screw. I keep meaning to attempt to adjust ours: The drivers side wiper hits the A-Pillar.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
There is a screw under the cap. I was going to adjust my wipers just before leaving for the south. However, I couldn't pull the arm off of the motor spindle. Not wanting to be wiperless on my trip, I gave up.

Ironically, when I did need the wipers they didn't work. The 5 amp fuse in the fuse box under the dash had blown.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I had thought there was a set screw. I keep meaning to attempt to adjust ours: The drivers side wiper hits the A-Pillar.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Are you guys saying that wiper travel isn't limited by mechanical linkage?

On factory car wipers I've worked on before, motors had a crank arm that rotated all the way around, and linkages at base of wiper arms were sized to provide the right amount of travel, and also timing between right and left sides.

Is that not how the Axis/Vegas works? And do other Class As work similarly. It's difficult to visualize what needs to be adjusted. Any description would be appreciated.

Just trying to understand differences between As and Cs. I haven't taken my Econoline wipers apart but assume they are also limited mechanically without adjustments.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The wiper travel is limited by the linkage but since its just an off-the shelf wiper system you can adjust where the travel starts (e.g. you can't adjust the number of degrees of arc of the wiper but you can change where on the circle the arc happens if you follow).
Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
The wiper travel is limited by the linkage but since its just an off-the shelf wiper system you can adjust where the travel starts (e.g. you can't adjust the number of degrees of arc of the wiper but you can change where on the circle the arc happens if you follow).
So it sounds like the adjusting screw changes the linkage mechanically, is that right?

I first thought maybe the adjustment was a limit switch affecting controls.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
So it sounds like the adjusting screw changes the linkage mechanically, is that right?
Loosening the screw allows you to change the wiper position on the spindle. The spindle will always rotate by X degrees right/left. Thus changing the initial wiper position will allow you to change where the wiper goes during the cycle.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #3369
Quote:
Loosening the screw allows you to change the wiper position on the spindle. The spindle will always rotate by X degrees right/left. Thus changing the initial wiper position will allow you to change where the wiper goes during the cycle.
From what I can see by watching the sweep of the wipers, the spindle will go through a roughly 90 degree arc. If you adjust the wipers so they start a few degrees higher on the windshield, they'll end up closer to the pillar on either side at the other end of the arc. I kind of need to make the same adjustment myself except that the problem with mine is more of a nuisance rather than a potential hazard.

MikeAndMad
Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Mine's a nuisance on the passenger side because it doesn't squeegee the center of the windshield.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #3369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Mine's a nuisance on the passenger side because it doesn't squeegee the center of the windshield.
I have a similar problem at the top end of the arc on the driver's side. I suspect there's some windshield distortion that keeps the rubber from contacting the glass.

MikeAndMad
Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
ETS

Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
my problem is not a left to right sweep - the sweep is fine -
the problem is the wiper blades miss the windshield at the top of the windshield - may as well have half the length wiper blades
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS View Post
my problem is not a left to right sweep - the sweep is fine -
the problem is the wiper blades miss the windshield at the top of the windshield - may as well have half the length wiper blades
Have you though of asking Thor if it's OK (i.e. -- safe) to upgrade wiper blades -- given such a curved windshield? If OK, there are some wiper blades claiming to apply uniform pressure due to their flexible beam design. For the low cost it may be worth trying as long as they won't damage the glass (which I can't see why they would, but would check first).