Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Windsport 34J - Kitchen water stops when slide is in?

This is a new one. As we were getting packed up this morning we noticed that after the slide came in the water in the kitchen stopped working. Re-leveled, extended the slide and everything worked fine. Turned the water on, started to bring the slide in an just as it finishes the water pressure drops to nothing. This is using the water-pump, no city water hookup where we were. As far as I know this has not happened before, we've used kitchen water while on the road (and slide in) plenty.

Obviously the water lines have to move with the slide but I'm concerned something has changed and we risk pinching and puncturing a line. It was very cold (sub-zero) and the slide was out all weekend. Not sure if that would matter but figured I'd mention it.

Anyone have this issue before?

Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
follow the water lines you may be kinking the line when the slide comes in
Old 12-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
follow the water lines you may be kinking the line when the slide comes in
How does one follow the water lines within the slide? I can't see a way to gain access...
Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
How does one follow the water lines within the slide? I can't see a way to gain access...
I don't have water in my slides. So a guess would be to remove drawers, floor panels under the sink area. When I saw them at the factory they just left extra tubing to allow the movement. ( like a big loop)
With the problem only showing itself when the slide is in I'd bet there's a piece of tubing that is bent too far and closing the flow.
That said it you bathroom is in that slide the stoppage may be near the bathroom

Good luck
Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Not everyone is a do it yourselfer.

If you hadn't pulled the drawers and anything else loose to look for the problem before posting here, you need a mobile mechanic to have a look if it's an imperative fix or stop by a shop on your way to your destination.

If you grab the wrong thing while looking, accidently half twist a line, move an electrical wire you're not capable of reattaching, you may be doomed by having instigated a second or third additional problem. Shake loose the ground on your slide motor while in there....

If you're not comfortable or not versed, skip it and get someone who is.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #6

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Not everyone is a do it yourselfer.

If you hadn't pulled the drawers and anything else loose to look for the problem before posting here, you need a mobile mechanic to have a look if it's an imperative fix or stop by a shop on your way to your destination.

If you grab the wrong thing while looking, accidently half twist a line, move an electrical wire you're not capable of reattaching, you may be doomed by having instigated a second or third additional problem. Shake loose the ground on your slide motor while in there....

If you're not comfortable or not versed, skip it and get someone who is.
Thanks Duckface, I am pretty comfortable doing all of that but made my post from the road prior to pulling things apart. I figured I'd ask if this was a known issue with the 34J and it's GIANT slide-out.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
With my 29m there is a false wall under the sink. When removed, 4 screws, the water lines and electrical are visible. Easy to see but hard to get to. I'm to big to squeeze all the way in there but can reach most of the lines with my long arms

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34j
State: Georgia
THOR #17985
I have a 2018 hurricane 34j and this weekend we didn’t have any pressure to the hot water side of the sink and after 20 minutes of frustration I found the water line was twisted in 2 places blocking the pressure . I had to remove it and reroute it and now it works great . In the 34 j slide you have the main water line , the hot water heater , the sink plumbing and a exterior shower with a bunch going thru the slide under the stove . It’s a mess under there but it sounds like it’s getting kinked by the slide .
Old 02-04-2020, 03:18 AM   #9

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhill75 View Post
I have a 2018 hurricane 34j and this weekend we didn’t have any pressure to the hot water side of the sink and after 20 minutes of frustration I found the water line was twisted in 2 places blocking the pressure . I had to remove it and reroute it and now it works great . In the 34 j slide you have the main water line , the hot water heater , the sink plumbing and a exterior shower with a bunch going thru the slide under the stove . It’s a mess under there but it sounds like it’s getting kinked by the slide .
The issue seems to have cleared up but I do notice I'm getting "pulsing" water pressure in the bathroom when I run the hot water - I suspect it's related. At this point I'm just waiting for some warmer weather and a good day to commit to digging in. I will share what I find...really appreciate the feedback that I've received so far.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #14989
29M slide in and out broke Plumbing under sofa. Coach in for repair.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:27 AM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
The issue seems to have cleared up but I do notice I'm getting "pulsing" water pressure in the bathroom when I run the hot water - I suspect it's related. At this point I'm just waiting for some warmer weather and a good day to commit to digging in. I will share what I find...really appreciate the feedback that I've received so far.
Sounds like the kind of problemS we had.
The sink drain flexible hose came loose dumping a LOT of water under the cabinet
Took all the draws out and 2 access panels off, 1 in the kitchen 1 in the bath .
As I'm reattaching the hose in the bath, running the slide in and out several times a T in the cold water line in the kitchen broke in an almost impossible to reach spot .
Took 4 hard days and 3 trips to the hardware store to find/fix/put everything back together.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
We had similar issues with our Quantum. Some water lines run under the dinette bench seat which is a part of the slide out.

Cold weather was part of the issue. In warm weather, there was just enough hose to extend / stretch out with the slide as it went out. The warm hose would stretch out just enough to allow for full water flow. When it got cold the hose got less flexible and did not stretch enough to allow for max water flow. It got pinched in a spot that caused restricted water flow. So things worked OK during warm conditions but when it got cold the thankless water heater would not work well if at all.

We rerouted the hose under the dinette seat so it has a more slack when the slide goes out. This seems to have cured the issues we were having with hot water.