Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Windsport 34J - Wet Under Slideout Seals

This might be totally normal but I've noticed after driving in very wet conditions that the floor under the slide-out is sometimes wet right up to the inner seal. I presume this is because there is no way to get the outer seal to be 100% secure but figured I'd ask here if anyone has similar issues.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
This might be totally normal but I've noticed after driving in very wet conditions that the floor under the slide-out is sometimes wet right up to the inner seal. I presume this is because there is no way to get the outer seal to be 100% secure but figured I'd ask here if anyone has similar issues.
If the in-wall slide and bulb seals are square, there should be no leakage when the in-wall slide is retracted. When the slide is extended or partially extended, water can easily get under the slide, as the only seal is a wiper type seal on the very inside of the in-wall slide plus the coach's wall and top.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34j
State: Georgia
THOR #17985
I’m having the same issues but I can’t find a leak. The plumbing is a mess under the cabinets in the slide . Main water in ,exterior shower, hot water heater and kitchen sink plumbing are all in the slide. Appears the sink drain is attached with zip ties and had 1 drop of water there but not enough to saturate the slide floor . I’d be interested in what you find is the culprit...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Same Issue

I have the same issue in my 34J. I don't think it's a leak in the water lines since it only happens when traveling in constant rain and it's not a lot of water. The seal along the bottom of the slide is the most likely culprit. If it gets worse I'll try to replace or build up that seal.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #5

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
I have the same issue in my 34J. I don't think it's a leak in the water lines since it only happens when traveling in constant rain and it's not a lot of water. The seal along the bottom of the slide is the most likely culprit. If it gets worse I'll try to replace or build up that seal.
Yep, it's just a very small amount of water - enough that if you didn't wipe it up it would likely evaporate in ten minutes. I checked the outer seal and didn't seem to find any obvious gaps. I'll keep looking.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

State: Iowa
THOR #18851
I just received my 2020 34J back from Camping World to fix a slide out leak along with multiple issues I noticed. Sure enough first hard rain was last night and full of water. Slide was closed and I extended it and had enough to soak a beach towel. I noticed because of two puddles that leaked under to the main coach area. Not too happy. Nothing but troubles since I bought this brand new in Sept.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 AM   #7

THOR #14595
I continue to have this problem when traveling in very wet weather. I've inspected the seals around the bottom of the slide and can't find a single place where they are not tight.

Could it be possible the water is seeping in further inboard where the underside of the floor of the coach is exposed to the environment?

I'm at a complete loss to explain this.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:32 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Water inside is never normal or acceptable. I’m sorry to say it can only get worse and it always causes damage if it is allowed to continue. The concern is not so much the water you can see and mop up. It’s the stuff that might saturate the subfloor or the inside of walls. It’s also sometimes tricky to figure out where it’s getting in. Since you’ve narrowed it down to the slide seal when the slide is in you should inspect all the way around especially along the sides. If you can’t nail it down I’d suggest taking it to an independent RV repair shop or, better, back to the factory service center. Many independent shops can do warranty work and they may be more competent than a dealer. If you have plumbing in the slide check it often as the movement can loosen things up. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #9

THOR #14595
Well that's not encouraging since it's a 2018 model and out of warranty. I'll start the intensive investigation on my own and then go from there.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #10

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
Well that's not encouraging since it's a 2018 model and out of warranty. I'll start the intensive investigation on my own and then go from there.

It isn’t encouraging and I hope you are more fortunate than I was. Learned my lesson a few RVs ago and now I’m rather anal about it. I think most leaks are not especially hard to find though they can be in places that don’t seem logical. Yours could be around a window or even on the roof unless you’re totally sure it only leaks with the slide in. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #11

THOR #14595
I spoke to Thor Customer Service today. They suggested I check the channel at the top of the slide that moves water fore and aft of the slideout. It seems fine but I did find a couple of small places where the seams meet that "might" allow water in. I'm going to spend the weekend digging in and trying to identify a process of elimination" that may or may not include a hose or sprinkler.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #12

THOR #14595
POTENTIALLY SOLVED!!!

I pulled everything apart on the inside of the slide and with a flashlight and remote camera inspected everything I could get to. There is zero evidence of water coming from any of the lines and no water intrusion into the inside of the slide.

Then I went outside and started inspecting every inch of every seal. I discovered two places where the seals were not firmly attached and when running the slide in and out it was obvious that water would be channeled into this area when driving in very wet conditions. Additionally, just sitting in heavy rain would give water an opportunity to get in if the wind was right.

When the slide is all the way in the bulb seals are touching but not with any significant force, certainly not enough to prevent intrusion under pressure. I used some clear sealant to try and clean up the way these seals are attached.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #13

THOR #6826
Congratulations. I hope you got it and good for you jumping in and figuring it out. I love learning by fixing and improving.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:51 AM   #14

Model: 34J
THOR #20249
For what's its worth, I have also had some water show up under my slide. It happened multiple times even where there was no rain. I found that the drain from the sink, with the zip ties to hold it shut, was leaking. It was leaking into the black bag type thing. Eventually it would fill it up, and when parked or driving it would leak and run out. The fitting was very loose. So I hope thats it and the problem is fixed.