Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So you busted their rig on the Interstate...

... and handed the keys back,to them:

Old 06-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23628
Update

Hello! I wanted to post an update. The RV dealer was able to inspect the unit and found no evidence that I had hit anything (such as a tree, etc.). I knew that I had not, so it just confirmed what I knew, but also helped Thor to know that as well. It’s the RV dealers opinion that the roof under the front cap was never properly sealed or installed, so it was only a matter of time before there was a sufficient and sustained amount of wind that caused it to tear, knocking off the winegard and peeling off.

Thankfully, Thor approved and is paying for an entirely new roof and winegard.

Thank you for your support and comments.

Take care and safe travels!
Old 06-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #43

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberjean73 View Post
Hello! I wanted to post an update. The RV dealer was able to inspect the unit and found no evidence that I had hit anything (such as a tree, etc.). I knew that I had not, so it just confirmed what I knew, but also helped Thor to know that as well. It’s the RV dealers opinion that the roof under the front cap was never properly sealed or installed, so it was only a matter of time before there was a sufficient and sustained amount of wind that caused it to tear, knocking off the winegard and peeling off.

Outstanding

Kudos to Atreis & Duckface as they nailed it
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
x 2!!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Their install is crap! On my 2020, my winegard crapped out so got to yank and install a new one and found out how crappy a job they do installing them. Winegard ships with fat brass bolts. wonder who is bagging them!!
Thor used they trusty rusty screw gun!

my rig wasn't even a year old when found rusty screws and wet plywood in my roof!

Best of luck on getting your rig fixed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_115248_resized_1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	31107   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard brass screws.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	31108  

Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #46

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm still in the Macdaddy camp that the Winegard was not secure to the roof. Based on his experience and mine with a boat load of stripped screws on two coaches, I could see that being the root cause versus the wind lifting the roof membrane from under the trip and then ripping it off.

In any case, Thor and the dealer are doing the right thing as I believed thy would.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #47

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:

Wonderful to hear that things are going in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #48

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Hello! In April I purchased a 2021 Thor Freedom Traveler 2021 A32. It has been nothing but trouble, but this last incident is the worst. Yesterday, while driving to Arizona, the Winegard satellite blew off the roof and a tear was caused in the roof. The tear grew and the roof turned into what I can only describe as a parachute. It was the scariest event. I pulled into a KOA in Needles, and the rig was towed to a dealer in Laughlin. Has this happened to anyone else? How was it covered under warranty? Pics attached
I had to remove my Wingard in order to put a vent shield on, it was just a tad too close, and I am glad I did. After removing the rubber sealing, 2 of the 4 screws had zero bite. Under the Wingard the roofing membrane was sliced about 2 inches, and it wasn't sealed. So when I put it back down, I got better screws, moved it over a half inch to get new material to drill into and sealed it all down with dicor. I even sealed the sliced membrane that was under it. I could have had the same disaster you had. Wish you luck. Let everyone know how it got resolved.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #49
MLP

THOR #17478
Our friends two years ago with their 2003 Class A Winnebago Journey heard a banging noise somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona. It grew louder over twenty miles. Thankfully two others in the group were following and started to see his entire front of his roof pop up and down two feet! It was progressing backwards. They called his wife and they all stopped. Two rolls of Gorilla tape saved the day. Turns out when it was inspected it was never screwed down. All the wood was held down over all that time with what looked like adhesive. His insurance paid for a complete roof replacement. So it is not just the new ones.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #50

THOR #18343
Quote:
Hello! In April I purchased a 2021 Thor Freedom Traveler 2021 A32. It has been nothing but trouble, but this last incident is the worst. Yesterday, while driving to Arizona, the Winegard satellite blew off the roof and a tear was caused in the roof. The tear grew and the roof turned into what I can only describe as a parachute. It was the scariest event. I pulled into a KOA in Needles, and the rig was towed to a dealer in Laughlin. Has this happened to anyone else? How was it covered under warranty? Pics attached
The $64,000.00 question is going to be who installed the Winegard!!

Looking at the picture could it be possible the roofing tore away from the roofline of the body, where it is placed under the fiberglass or aluminum trim? If so it would definitely be a warranty issue, seeing the trim could have been over tightened during manufacture cutting into the material! I just don’t see the Winegard blowing off the roof and only tearing the roofing at the roofline trim? One would think if air got under the roofing through the screw holes it would have at least torn from one of the holes in the process???
Old 06-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #51

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Ontario
THOR #10180
Sorry to hear of your problems but with a Thor Product I am not surprised. I purchased a new 2017 Four Winds motor home in January 2018 and I regret this purchase ever since. My list of problems is endless
Front panels rotted out due to leak in overcab (not covered by Thor)
12V Relay switch failed (Not covered by Thor)
Water pump failed (Not covered by Thor)
Rear window leaks (not covered by Thor)
Had to replace battery in coach (not covered by Thor)
Oil leak in ford engine (they repaired this)
canopy lights failed (they repaired this)
Ford air conditioner problem (covered by Ford)
Water heater element (not covered by Thor)
Microwave came loose (Not covered by Thor)
List is endless I am sure I am missing some items..
What can I say... I would not recommend Thor to my worst enemy (Not even my ex wife.. Well maybe!!) They have a real quality issue and the word needs to get out.
Hope they will cover your problem but do not be surprised if they try to blame it on you and refuse to repair the problem... Good luck...
Old 06-06-2021, 04:30 AM   #52

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgironwood View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems but with a Thor Product I am not surprised. I purchased a new 2017 Four Winds motor home in January 2018 and I regret this purchase ever since. My list of problems is endless
Front panels rotted out due to leak in overcab (not covered by Thor)
12V Relay switch failed (Not covered by Thor)
Water pump failed (Not covered by Thor)
Rear window leaks (not covered by Thor)
Had to replace battery in coach (not covered by Thor)
Oil leak in ford engine (they repaired this)
canopy lights failed (they repaired this)
Ford air conditioner problem (covered by Ford)
Water heater element (not covered by Thor)
Microwave came loose (Not covered by Thor)
List is endless I am sure I am missing some items..
What can I say... I would not recommend Thor to my worst enemy (Not even my ex wife.. Well maybe!!) They have a real quality issue and the word needs to get out.
Hope they will cover your problem but do not be surprised if they try to blame it on you and refuse to repair the problem... Good luck...
You must be really glad you sold it.
Imagine how unhappy you'd be if you were silly enough to have kept such a perturbment.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #53

THOR #1454
Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful life of THOR POS products. I'm sorry for your problems. If it is still under warranty, have it fixed by an Authorized THOR POS vendor. After it is fixed......GET OUT OF IT ASAP! Today is the BEST day of THOR POS ownership. It will not get better.

After 5 years, 40k miles and 52 trips to the shop, we found out last week that the water leak we have been chasing for 5 years is the result of the windshield being installed improperly AT THE FACTORY. The adhesive between the gasket and the frame had multiple gaps in it, and the "reveal" gasket that was supposed to be overlaid on the glass was NON EXISTENT.

If I sound bitter, it's because I can't articulate how I really feel about my THOR POS. Bitter doesn't begin to describe my feelings.

Chief
Old 06-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #54

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
Welcome to the wonderful life of THOR POS products. I'm sorry for your problems. If it is still under warranty, have it fixed by an Authorized THOR POS vendor. After it is fixed......GET OUT OF IT ASAP! Today is the BEST day of THOR POS ownership. It will not get better.

After 5 years, 40k miles and 52 trips to the shop, we found out last week that the water leak we have been chasing for 5 years is the result of the windshield being installed improperly AT THE FACTORY. The adhesive between the gasket and the frame had multiple gaps in it, and the "reveal" gasket that was supposed to be overlaid on the glass was NON EXISTENT.

If I sound bitter, it's because I can't articulate how I really feel about my THOR POS. Bitter doesn't begin to describe my feelings.

Chief
Well after 5 years and 35000 and I dont know how many camping trips, and only 1 trip to the dealer for a bad water heater element I'm extremely happy with my mh

Telling someone to sell their mh because you're not happy with yours is ridiculous

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #55

THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post

Chief
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but to tell someone to get rid of the Thor manufactured RV because of a windshield leak doesn’t make sense!!
Thor did not install the windshield the vehicle manufacturer ie: Ford, Chevy, Mercedes installed the windshield at the factory! Thor is not at fault!
Old 06-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #56

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but to tell someone to get rid of the Thor manufactured RV because of a windshield leak doesn’t make sense!!
Thor did not install the windshield the vehicle manufacturer ie: Ford, Chevy, Mercedes installed the windshield at the factory! Thor is not at fault!

True for a Class B, C or Super but not true if the coach is a Class A. The coach manufactuers do install the windshield in a Class A.

The guy didn't say what type of coach he has and it is not listed in his profile so it may have been a Thor factory assembly issue.

Where the guy might have went wrong was not taking the coach to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #57

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Well after 5 years and 35000 and I dont know how many camping trips, and only 1 trip to the dealer for a bad water heater element I'm extremely happy with my mh

Telling someone to sell their mh because you're not happy with yours is ridiculous

Jerry
X 1 Million & 2

So..... Jerry had Thor installed the 6 Gallon Gas Suburban Water Heater in your unit; you would have had the perfect coach like mine

I am no Thor Apologist, not even a Thor Owner, but amazed how TMC is taking to the Woodshed. In 2 1/2 years on this site, I have yet to see ANY poster identify a defect that was covered under warranty that TMC did not make good? Every claim is in itself it's own unique story that quite often is not always fully disclosed.

I hope the OP is making it through this ordeal without other worries. TMC has committed to replace the Roof and Wingard, it does not get any better than that

Only advice I have for OP is when you get the RV back, resume your travel plans. Use every aspect of your coach while it is under warranty. I think most posters complaints stem from their expectation that a new RV should be like a new Cadillac Escalade and if any thing is wrong; just drop in any local Cadillac dealer to get a loaner. Nothing wrong with those that have that expectation other than the fact that that is NOT the way it is . For RV purchases you use PDIs to ensure that everything pass your satisfaction. You use the next year to find everything that you missed. Some things like leaks do not have a year warranty, I think 90 days?

To OP, Congratulations on your new RV, I think you have a good dealer as they have been taking care of you both before this nightmare with roof, and afterwards. For kicks, you may wish to sign up for that Wingard Connect service just to see how it works and if you like? But you will at least know that it works and what it can do
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #58

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
A funny yet sad string.

It will be covered by warranty. Any new coach driving down the road and something blows, falls, rips off in the wind while driving, it's on Thor for more of their typical production screw ups. Got trip insurance? It won't matter. Go rent a real nice rig and continue your vacation while the dealer sorts out your repairs with Thor. In the end Thor is paying for everything one way or another.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, warranty