Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #19813
Winegard dc power switch?

My 2020 27.7 came with a Winegard connect 2.0 runs with togo. I've searched the various build diagrams and searched the rv - does anyone know if there is a switch to turn on/off dc power to the roof unit? It's referred to as a wp2-6dc switch. I know where the green light and pop up button are for the antenna booster but that does not turn off power to the roof dome.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The "wp2-6dc" is an optional wall plate. How may push buttons do you have on the wallplate with the antenna booster LED. Both switches can be on that wallplate or their may be separate wallplates.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:38 PM   #3

THOR #19813
There is only a single push button. I can't find any switches not otherwise accounted for.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaurbanelli@aol.com View Post
There is only a single push button. I can't find any switches not otherwise accounted for.
Thor did not install the Power switch in the 2020 models. They started adding it in the 2021 models. The 2020 is wired directly to the 12V system so it is powered on at all times.

There is only the push button switch to change from Over-the-Air to Cable. When the LED light is on, you are using the Winegard TV antenna.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Only way turn power off is kill power to entire rig at barrel switch. You can order new wall panel from winegard that has power switch.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Here is what new one looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingardupgradepanel.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	28055  
Old 01-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #7

THOR #19813
Thanks for the information. I'd like to add a shut off switch but hate the thought of taking off a bunch of panels. I'll check to see if the power line to the dome unit is behind the antenna/cable plate and I can put in a switch next to the antenna/cable plate.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'd like to add a shut off switch but hate the thought of taking off a bunch of panels. I'll check to see if the power line to the dome unit is behind the antenna/cable plate and I can put in a switch next to the antenna/cable plate.
Did you find any DC wiring behind the plate? I have the same issues with a new 2021 Axis. I would like to turn it off to avoid any DC power draw.

David
Old 02-09-2021, 01:15 AM   #9

THOR #19813
It wasn't too bad removing the panel. There are 4 screws on the panel, a couple of screws on the ac plug and 2 screws on the coax connection. For a change, there was no destruction or damage to the surface required for access. The back of the Winegard has 2 female clips for power and three what I think were coax cables. I did not see an easy way to put in a switch but my effort was cut short. Let me know if you remove the panel and figure it out.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Virginia
THOR #23213
2021 Chateau also does not have a power switch for the dome unit. Power cable to dome runs under the dome into the RV, separately from the antenna and not into the panel with the cable connection/switch. There looks to be a 12v power line in that area of the ceiling for two interior lights - it must tie into that. Dome unit was factory installed rotated 90deg from what Winegard recommends.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:53 AM   #11

THOR #19813
I pulled each fuse on my 2020 Thor Vegas 27.7 and fuse 5 labeled audio/video turned off power to the Winegard. I've not tracked down where the Winegard actually connects to this circuit.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #21938
Anybody find the Wingard power wire yet?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thor did not install the Power switch in the 2020 models. They started adding it in the 2021 models. The 2020 is wired directly to the 12V system so it is powered on at all times.

There is only the push button switch to change from Over-the-Air to Cable. When the LED light is on, you are using the Winegard TV antenna.
2021 FW 28A does not have the power switch, either. I'm gonna order me one of dem.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 PM   #14

THOR #21941
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Here is what new one looks like
Doesn't look like they are making these anymore

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #15

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Doesn't look like they are making these anymore
Guess I was wrong. From Winegard:

Thank you for reaching out. The WP2-600 is an OEM six pack for the dual button wall plate for a ConnecT 2.0+ system it is only sold to RV manufacturers. The aftermarket part number is 2762504. It can only be sold by calling our Customer Support team at 800-288-8094.

They said it was $29.99. I'm ordering mine!

Old 06-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Having a wall plate with a power switch on it is only a small part of the solution. You have to find the DC wire that powers the Wingard and then cut it and wire it to the switch. I removed the plate and it sure wasn't obvious which wire if any I saw powered the Wingard on my 2021 Axis..

David
Old 06-23-2021, 01:14 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Virginia
THOR #23213
Mine appears to have been wired re: Option B of the user manual, without the WP2-6DC switch, so the problem is as David noted. I removed the cover from the outside dome unit - there are two circuit boards and numerous antennas underneath. The larger circuit board is the cell/router itself, the smaller has two independently powered functions for the SIM card and for the TV antenna. The larger board connects to the SIM side of the smaller with a ribbon cable. The TV antenna side is powered through the coax somehow - note the 12v supply to the "reg wall plate for OTA" in the wiring schematic. I ended up disconnecting the 12v supply to the larger board to shut off the cell/router, and left the TV antenna side alone.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:59 PM   #18

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #27137
I didn't order the new wall plate, with shipping it was $50 bucks. They also mentioned (and it is in the wiring diagram), that you should run dedicated power and ground. I ordered an RV switch off Amazon. The power was relatively easy to find. You know it has to come from the roof, on the 24.1 Vegas it was behind the TV under the side entry. I could see which one was the Red wire (Which was a butt connector from the RV power). I cut it and put in the switch. This is very similar approach to the other version documented with the Winegard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6137.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	38689  
Old 01-17-2023, 09:38 PM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #28867
Quote:
My 2020 27.7 came with a Winegard connect 2.0 runs with togo. I've searched the various build diagrams and searched the rv - does anyone know if there is a switch to turn on/off dc power to the roof unit? It's referred to as a wp2-6dc switch. I know where the green light and pop up button are for the antenna booster but that does not turn off power to the roof dome.
There two different part numbers for winegard WP2-6DC (1 switch and solid mount co-ax connectors) and WP2-600 (2 switch and 5 uninsulated coax cable 6 if AM/FM added). The problem I had is it shorted out against the plus 12vdc take into out TV amp and WIFI. Knowing what I know now would have insulated the connectors, I didn’t install this is came with the the trailer.