Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Wing Wall Woes

Hello all,

I knew that I had a problem with my wing walls on our 2017 Chateau as they were rotting from the bottom and would, as some point, need replacing.

Based on a random post that I read On This Forum(!), I was aware that I had a slight chance of having them replaced under warranty.

So, we made it a point to stop at the Factory last July at the beginning of our 4 month cross-country trip. Technician took a look, confirmed that the wing walls were bad and promised nothing re: warranty. Soonest appointment for service was November.
So, 4 months and 14,000 miles later, its back to Wakarusa for our appointment. To make a long story short, all covered under goodwill as there was a known manufacturing problem with some wing walls of this era! I will have to say we were pleasantly shocked to not have a ~$2,000+ bill!

For all of the Thor bashing, I have to say that they took ownership of the problem and stood behind their product. Thank you Thor.

However, does the story end there? Unfortunately no....

Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:44 PM   #2

THOR #18547
To continue:

The wing walls were actually replaced twice during our visit as the technician used the wrong staple gun on the upholstery. The long staples penetrated through the wing walls to the exterior. He had to order a 2nd set and do the job over again!

Now, on to the main issue.

I mentioned to the tech that the wing walls had seemed to come out of alignment with the over cab floor and asked him to make sure that he addressed this issue when installing the new wing walls. It was as if the top of the wing walls were pulling away from the floor.

By January, this is what it looked like: (photo 1)

So, after a few call/emails with Thor, an appointment was made for March at Giant RV in Orlando.

Giant put in new bolts but stated that the issue is way more involved as the wing walls do not line up with the over head cab floor.

Photo 2 shows how things looked 20 miles later .

And, photo 3 with a measuring tape.

to be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	36558   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	36559  

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	36560  
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #3

THOR #18547
Clearly something has shifted. To me, it is as if the front cab moved forward but there is no indication that this has happened. I would expect to be able to see open seams somewhere on the cab if this were the case but I am at a loss as to what is going on.
The photos previously posted are of the driver's side. There is only a slight mis-alignment on the passenger side but nonetheless, it is there too.

Now that we are in Charlotte on a permanent basis, I am able to better address the problem. Thor has asked me to make an appointment and take the rv to a local dealer for evaluation. I have not made any calls yet as I need to ask the forum who runs a competent service facility in the area.

So, the big question to the forum is: Any idea what the heck's going on here?
Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for your patience in reading everything and for your suggestions.

James
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-23-2022, 12:08 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Could you post some pics from a little further away to give better context of the area?
Old 03-23-2022, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
So Thor had a manufacturing problem that led to an issue that only appears after warranty and their free or discounted fix is to make it worse?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Attachment 36568

Here is a photo I took at the factory of how the top of the wing wall is attached. The top screws are attached to the tubular metal frame. It looks like the screws in your picture aren’t making purchase with the metal frame.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #7

THOR #18547
Here's another photo showing the area.

RE: Screws/bolts. If one were to tighten the screws, they do take hold but are under significant pressure. You can see the wing wall bowing under the pressure. The thin aluminum tubing can only hold so much and the screws/bolts just strip out.
As I stated, something has come out of alignment, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	36576  
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-23-2022, 09:38 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
So here is another factory picture. The wing walls are attached to the cutout cab frame as well - you can see a set of screws going in an arc around the cab opening. It might be that the folks that did the repair didn't put those screws in. It is hard for me to imagine something being that far out of alignment - but hey...stranger things have happened.

It is easy to check. The vinyl pads are held on by 3-4 screws under a set of caps. Pry the caps off and then you can remove the screws and the pads will pull off.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:20 AM   #9

THOR #18547
Thanks Jimbo12. It may be a while before I can take a look.
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #10

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
It would seem to me that the second unit body mounts and attachments should be inspected to make sure that the second unit body is not walking around on the frame. I would not suspect the cab and frame connection, rather what was added after the cab chassis was produced (the RV part added to the frame). It looks like the main body is not tracking with the cab (my two cents).
Old 03-25-2022, 06:03 PM   #11

THOR #18547
Hi Sappy2,

The more I look, the more I am convinced that something has moved.
However, I can't find any evidence of that.
Is it possible for you to describe where I might look to find the second unit body mounts?

Thank you.

James
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #12
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
State: Florida
THOR #12223
Wing walls

I hope you find a solution to this vexing problem. I do have to disagree slightly with your they admitted the problem as there was a “known” manufacturing defect in 2017 models . In many cases described in detail, they neither admitted the “known” defect nor for many of us, covered the problem. In my case, after many months of chasing them! The finally agreed to send the “materials” to replace the walls but adamantly refused to cover the installation. These “materials” cost roughly the 2000 you mentioned, the actual labor cost by the dealer is 3500! Couple this with the other “known” defect from 2017, the “fake” leather material used on furniture and other coverings used throughout the unit simply flaking off! Another 3000 - 3500 to fix. They have hardly “stood behind” the product nor have much “goodwill” left.
Again i wish you the best in figuring out the current problem you are having and thank you for submitting the info to this forum. It is quite helpful for all of us to see issues and whenever possible contribute to each other potential solutions.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #13

THOR #18547
Good Morning,
Per Thor, I need to take the RV to one of their local authorized service centers to have the Wing Wall issue evaluated.
Since we are new to the Charlotte, NC area, I don't know who the best dealer is to take a look.

Here are a few dealers the would be near to us. I am interested in hearing of any direct service experiences.

Would you take your RV there for major service?

Thank you.

Gander in Statesville
CW at Charlotte Speedway
RV One in Concord
Carolina Coach in Claremont
Charlotte, NC
Old 05-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #14

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Depending on where you live in Charlotte (I'm in Lake Wylie), Camping World Spartanburg has always treated us right. More of a rural atmosphere.
Also, see screen shot.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220507-123024_Chrome.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	37351