Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Winnebago issues and some advice

We are planing to purchase a Winnebago Forza 34T in the near future. My wife loves the floor plan of this coach. I decided to start doing some homework on the quality of their coaches. I am not sure how I feel after reading the following thread Winnebago Tour problems? - iRV2 Forums

My current coach "A Thor Axis" uses the Schwintek system and I have not had any problems "knock on wood". However, the Axis has a small slide out, the Forza has a large slid out. I am starting to wonder if I should just steer clear of the Schwintek system altogether. I am new at this and the Axis is my first motorhome. Some of the wait times I read about owners being without the coach they have just spent a ton of money on makes me want to re-thing this whole lifestyle. I have no plans of ever being a full timer but I due like the idea of traveling around and vacationing in my own house.

I know I should be posting this on a Winnebago site and I will. However, it seems that Winnebago is having some of the same issues that Thor is having.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
They all have quality issues. Motorhomes, travel trailers, 5th wheels, Thor, Forest River, etc. it is common throughout the industry.

Every time you buy a brand new RV you take a roll of the dice. I'd like to think the odds are still in your favor but you never know (e.g. only one out of every 10-20 RVs has the really bad quality issues--contrast that with the auto industry where they measure "things gone wrong per 1000 vehicles" and its a fractional value like 0.3).

The Schwindtek(sp?) system (the Lippert one used on the Axis/Vegas and other Thor motorhomes) seems like a pretty slick one but it doesn't really seem to be beefy enough for some of those really large slides.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They all have quality issues. Motorhomes, travel trailers, 5th wheels, Thor, Forest River, etc. it is common throughout the industry.

Every time you buy a brand new RV you take a roll of the dice. I'd like to think the odds are still in your favor but you never know (e.g. only one out of every 10-20 RVs has the really bad quality issues--contrast that with the auto industry where they measure "things gone wrong per 1000 vehicles" and its a fractional value like 0.3).

The Schwindtek(sp?) system (the Lippert one used on the Axis/Vegas and other Thor motorhomes) seems like a pretty slick one but it doesn't really seem to be beefy enough for some of those really large slides.
Thanks for your words of wisdom Jamie. I really feel bad for owners who spend their hard earned money in good faith with a dream of enjoying the RV experience just to have it shattered by poor quality control or engineering. I would hate to be in their shoes. I know anything man made can and will break. The issue I am having is the extreme wait times of getting their coach back. I think the manufacture should be jumping though hoops to correct their mistakes so the customer who just spend a ton of money on their product can enjoy it. When I had my home built, there was a small punch list that needed correcting but it was taken care of ASAP. A motorhome is a home and more complex but the principle show still apply. A guess my research should focus on finding out if their is a manufacturer that does have this principle and does not cost a million dollars before I give up.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

THOR #1478
Power Gear In-Wall Slide system.

I just read on the Winnebago site that they have stopped using the Schwintek system on the large slide outs and started using the Power Gear In-Wall Slide system.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
...I really feel bad for owners who spend their hard earned money in good faith with a dream of enjoying the RV experience just to have it shattered by poor quality control or engineering. I would hate to be in their shoes. ....
I feel even worse for RV consumers who do not clearly understand and realize what they are getting into. Their experience is only "shattered" if they do not know that by purchasing a new motorhome, they have agreed to spend their hard earned money, (and also will absorb the brunt of depreciation), for the privilege of using it first and being able to tell the next purchaser, (or dealer if traded), that everything works fine. Its the same for boats, planes, and even cars. Although nowadays cars tend to have many less warranty issues than they did in the past.

New motorhome owners have the privilege and responsibility to identify all the quality, manufacturing, design, and assembly issues that do not meet their standards during the warranty period. They must have them repaired for free during the limited warranty timeframe, or pay to have everything repaired themselves. It's their option.

If a new RVer wishes to forego the privileges of new ownership, then they can purchase a late model used coach that has had most of the issues identified and repaired by someone else.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I feel even worse for RV consumers who do not clearly understand and realize what they are getting into. Their experience is only "shattered" if they do not know that by purchasing a new motorhome, they have agreed to spend their hard earned money, (and also will absorb the brunt of depreciation), for the privilege of using it first and being able to tell the next purchaser, (or dealer if traded), that everything works fine. Its the same for boats, planes, and even cars. Although nowadays cars tend to have many less warranty issues than they did in the past.

New motorhome owners have the privilege and responsibility to identify all the quality, manufacturing, design, and assembly issues that do not meet their standards during the warranty period. They must have them repaired for free during the limited warranty timeframe, or pay to have everything repaired themselves. It's their option.

If a new RVer wishes to forego the privileges of new ownership, then they can purchase a late model used coach that has had most of the issues identified and repaired by someone else.
All great points and I understood that I would be taking a big hit on the depreciation when I purchased a new coach. What I did not know is the potential time that I could be without my coach if there were a serious problem with my coach. When I hear stories of owners not having their coach for several months was totally shocking to me as a first time owner.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I would be very wary of a huge slide out. Even if the slide out system works (Schwintek or other method), I have to believe the structural integrity of such a motorhome has to be compromised.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
We are planing to purchase a Winnebago Forza 34T in the near future. My wife loves the floor plan of this coach. I decided to start doing some homework on the quality of their coaches. I am not sure how I feel after reading the following thread Winnebago Tour problems? - iRV2 Forums

My current coach "A Thor Axis" uses the Schwintek system and I have not had any problems "knock on wood". However, the Axis has a small slide out, the Forza has a large slid out. I am starting to wonder if I should just steer clear of the Schwintek system altogether. I am new at this and the Axis is my first motorhome. Some of the wait times I read about owners being without the coach they have just spent a ton of money on makes me want to re-thing this whole lifestyle. I have no plans of ever being a full timer but I due like the idea of traveling around and vacationing in my own house.

I know I should be posting this on a Winnebago site and I will. However, it seems that Winnebago is having some of the same issues that Thor is having.
I am laughing. We are weary of issues with our thor axis and just now today looked at the forza 34t. Googled for Forza issues, and lo and behold ended right back on here with our thor buddies, ha! So did you buy the Forza?