Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It would be good to hear from others with the same year and model because I have not seen a recent Thor (2016 and newer) operate like yours does.

Any all of the ATS's in my coaches make an audible "clunk" when plugging in. The latching relay is a much lighter "click' sound.

When I plug in my coach, from outside I can hear the ATS relays engage when I plug it in.

My latching relay is in the back of the coach and I can barely hear it click when I flip the Use / Store switch inside at the entry door.
Are you sure it's the ATS clunking when you plug in? Most ATSs fail to the SP side and only shift the relay when the generator is running. It may be your EMS connecting that you hear. I know my SP power up was instantaneous when plugging in before I installed an onboard EMS. Now it takes a few seconds for the EMS to verify good power and make the connection.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:19 AM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
That is a good point.......
I’ll show this to my tech and have him check it. Like I said, I’m not electrical. Works like it’s supposed to when unplugged. I’ve just thought that’s how it’s supposed to work. Over 3 years in, all works as it did on day 1.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:34 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Winter storage battery status and avoiding 'safeties' kicking on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Are you sure it's the ATS clunking when you plug in? Most ATSs fail to the SP side and only shift the relay when the generator is running. It may be your EMS connecting that you hear. I know my SP power up was instantaneous when plugging in before I installed an onboard EMS. Now it takes a few seconds for the EMS to verify good power and make the connection.

Absolutely….. it is like clockwork and its the ATS.

I installed a hardwired EMS but it is after the ATS because I also wanted to protect from generator voltage issues. The ATS clunked before I installed the EMS shortly after I bought the coach.

When I plug in, the ATS “clunks” and then 2 minutes later the EMS allows voltage to the coach and the oven clock “beeps!“ LOL

I also use a portable EMS away from home to protect the ATS and after the 2 minute delay at the pedestal, I can hear the ATS clunk when the voltage is applied and the hardwired EMS clock starts its countdown.

On a side note…. we got to a KOA for our last night of the year ten days ago. They told us our site only had 50A service as a new pedestal was recently installed. No problem… that’s what we use.

We get to the site and it’s a fancy brand new pedestal that can also charge an EV. I almost didn’t use my portable EMS…. but then I remembered that crap happens… so I plug it in as I normally do.

I go through my regular routine getting setup and realize there is no power in the coach ten minutes later. I check the portable EMS and have a Line 1 high voltage and also a low frequency error. Well the Line 1 voltage was reading 255V!

It would have fried my ATS…. It did damage my Progressive Industries EMS. We go to the front desk and they tell me the pedestal was installed 2 days before and no one had been in the site yet.

They moved us even though they were sold out. Progressive Industries is replacing my EMS under their lifetime warranty. I’m glad I used the portable EMS and didn’t just trust that new pedestal was installed correctly.

The EV charging cord requires 240V and it had its own 50A breaker. I’m guessing whoever wired it wired the 50A RV receptacle incorrectly and put 120V on the neutral leg.

Just a lesson to those of you not using an EMS or only using a surge protector.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:09 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Absolutely….. it is like clockwork and its the ATS.

I installed a hardwired EMS but it is after the ATS because I also wanted to protect from generator voltage issues. The ATS clunked before I installed the EMS shortly after I bought the coach.

When I plug in, the ATS “clunks” and then 2 minutes later the EMS allows voltage to the coach and the oven clock “beeps!“ LOL

I also use a portable EMS away from home to protect the ATS and after the 2 minute delay at the pedestal, I can hear the ATS clunk when the voltage is applied and the hardwired EMS clock starts its countdown.
My ATS does the exact same but I thought it was thunk, not a clunk... I will have to go back and listen again

I remember when I 1st joined this site, I use to believe that my converter was charging too when on shorepower. The ACE had a similar response. Turns out I was wrong because I was just going by the green LED light (SOB) that does in fact come on whenever there is shore power and you cannot turn it off whenever shorepower is connected. However; when I pulled out the voltmeter and put on my batteries, there was no charging going on when my Use/Store switch was OFF, even though on shorepower and green LED was on. That was also when I said that ACE guy seems to know a little something something about these RVs

I am not sure I follow the logic for someone wanting to put the RV in storage and keep only power supplied to charger? If you want the charger on or need the charger to keep batteries conditioned, what possibly would be the concern with parasitic draw? Surely the charger will adjust to keep the batteries from discharging?

I have started to turn my entire system down (house switch off or disconnect shorepower) if I am not using and if temperatures approach 100 just to not be charging unnecessarily on my batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:14 AM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
My independent tech and myself verified it. Unplugged, in store, there is no power to the batteries. Leaving the store switch in store, plug into shore power, it clunks and I’ve got juice coming into batteries. Unplug from shore, it clunks again and no juice to batteries. Sorry mine seems different. Rolled off the line in may 2019. Maybe others are the same.
idk Jim

I have 2019 too. Tell me the actual voltage reading BEFORE and AFTER flipping the Use/Store switch with shore power connected?

I think I go from like 12.9 VDC Switch OFF to 14.2 VDC Use Switch ON
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #26

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

I think I go from like 12.9 VDC Switch OFF to 14.2 VDC Use Switch ON

And that would be the correct operation......
Old 10-18-2022, 07:47 PM   #27

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
It would be good to hear from others with the same year and model because I have not seen a recent Thor (2016 and newer) operate like yours does.

Any all of the ATS's in my coaches make an audible "clunk" when plugging in. The latching relay is a much lighter "click' sound.

When I plug in my coach, from outside I can hear the ATS relays engage when I plug it in.

My latching relay is in the back of the coach and I can barely hear it click when I flip the Use / Store switch inside at the entry door.
Mine is exactly the same

Thunk/clunk when plugging in

If i then go inside and activate the house battery switch then i barely hear the Trombetta click

My house battery switch pilot only is lit when house bank is active

I note this any time plugging in in the shop

I don't leave it plugged in constantly
Old 10-18-2022, 08:19 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Mine is exactly the same

Thunk/clunk when plugging in

If i then go inside and activate the house battery switch then i barely hear the Trombetta click

My house battery switch pilot only is lit when house bank is active

I note this any time plugging in in the shop

I don't leave it plugged in constantly
Isn't your house bank (12vdc buss) active whenever you have shore power regardless of switch?

I believe my Use/Store light comes whenever the 12vdc buss is active period. If my converter is on, my buss is 12 vdc is active thus the light. If my converter is OFF (meaning no shore power) and switch is in Use mode power from the House batteries feeds the 12vdc buss and the light is on.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #29

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Isn't your house bank (12vdc buss) active whenever you have shore power regardless of switch?

I believe my Use/Store light comes whenever the 12vdc buss is active period. If my converter is on, my buss is 12 vdc is active thus the light. If my converter is OFF (meaning no shore power) and switch is in Use mode power from the House batteries feeds the 12vdc buss and the light is on.
No, it only comes on when the switch is on, or the inverter is on. The inverter powers up when the switch is active which activates the battery charger as well. You can think itis on because the 12v is available from the inverter. If you want the battery bank to charge, then the switch must be on and the battery charger on. Otherwise, you simply run off shore power and the battery bank goes dead. That happens to a lot of folks that get on the forums and have dead batteries.

Many folks have started threads trying to figure out why their batteries are dead, but they have 12v power. Apparently, my pilot is wired correctly and most aren't. Or they have a bit different logic.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:01 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
No, it only comes on when the switch is on, or the inverter is on. The inverter powers up when the switch is active which activates the battery charger as well. You can think itis on because the 12v is available from the inverter. If you want the battery bank to charge, then the switch must be on and the battery charger on. Otherwise, you simply run off shore power and the battery bank goes dead. That happens to a lot of folks that get on the forums and have dead batteries.

Many folks have started threads trying to figure out why their batteries are dead, but they have 12v power. Apparently, my pilot is wired correctly and most aren't. Or they have a bit different logic.
I think we are saying the same thing, but I am just getting confused by how you are saying it?

Or maybe you are saying functionally both of our system do the exact same thing but somehow yours will turn OFF the LED light when the Use/Store switch is turn to Store?

I think we both are saying and know that if the Use / Store switch is in Store mode; it does NOT charge the batteries.

I was just trying to say I can have shorepower LED light will be on no matter the position of the switch, but if Switch is OFF / Store mode; it will NOT charge.

Generally speaking if my coach is in Store Mode/OFF it is a mistake, that I catch right away because NOTHING inside will work unless I have shore power on.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Bank refers to the battery bank
Buss refers to the DC buss that all loads are powered from.

If lwmcguir has an inverter/charger it is connected directly to the battery bank through its own wiring. It is not connected to the DC buss directly like a converter is.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:12 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Bank refers to the battery bank
Buss refers to the DC buss that all loads are powered from.

If lwmcguir has an inverter/charger it is connected directly to the battery bank through its own wiring. It is not connected to the DC buss directly like a converter is.

Thanks I thought I was going crazy. I guess I should expect the man that has his own fleet of 53' gasoline rigs to shadow his RV would have something special

For me personally; it is a reminder that how much I learn, I may still be a nugget or two away in understanding of some minute detail. I guess it is alright as long as I understand my coach