Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20l
State: New Hampshire
THOR #29664
Winter use lithium batteries

I have a 2022 Sequence 20l. It is my daily drive and I live in NH. How can I best care for my lithium batteries in the cold and continue to use my vehicle as a daily drive. I will be away from home 10+ hours during work days. I can plug in at home overnight. Will this be sufficient?
Kay

Old 05-15-2023, 06:41 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Disconnect the positive, red cables from the battery and insulate the ends with electrical tape. That way they can neither charge or discharge at sub freezing conditions and will be ok.

Keeping heat on at home probably won’t work as sitting for ten hours outside in near zero temps will probably drive the batteries below freezing. Then when you start the chassis engine to go home at the end of the day, the alternator will try to charge them and that isn’t good below freezing.

Now if you have Battleborn or similar Li batteries with sub freezing cutout, the BMS should protect you.

David
Old 05-16-2023, 01:53 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Don't know your battery brand, but two options: If no BMS, do as David says above to prevent accidentally charging and possibly destroying the batteries. If possible, pick a warm day every so often to reconnect them - plug in and recharge.

If there's no built-in protection (BMS) against below freezing charging, you MUST keep them disconnected from charging. Not to confuse the issue, but they can be used (discharged) at below freezing... just not charged.

If you DO have a BMS, check the spec sheet to make CERTAIN there's a low temperature (freezing) temperature charging cutoff. If so, you can safely leave them plugged in at night - even below freezing. They just won't charge.

There's also a trick... BUT only if you have a BMS with low temperature cutoff. Using the batteries (discharging) will heat them to some degree... so if temps are just below freezing, just put a drain on them for a short time... they may warm enough to start charging.

I strongly urge you to check the spec sheet on the battery type you have and follow those instructions!
Old 05-16-2023, 02:54 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Black/gray tank heating pad has built on thermostat.
My battery case is wrapped in two.
$16ish each.
12v...like your battery.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:29 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Black/gray tank heating pad has built on thermostat.
My battery case is wrapped in two.
$16ish each.
12v...like your battery.
The SOK batteries I just installed have built-in heating pads... We never camp in winter - November to mid-April here. Will be interesting to see how solar keeps them topped off next winter.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:31 PM   #6

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFord View Post
I have a 2022 Sequence 20l. It is my daily drive and I live in NH. How can I best care for my lithium batteries in the cold and continue to use my vehicle as a daily drive. I will be away from home 10+ hours during work days. I can plug in at home overnight. Will this be sufficient?
Kay
Found this, hope it helps
LFP batteries are safe to use in temperatures ranging from -4 degrees Fahrenheit, up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes them practical for use in any weather conditions. Some off-grid solar, RV, and Camper Van owners
Old 05-28-2023, 03:11 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
Found this, hope it helps
LFP batteries are safe to use in temperatures ranging from -4 degrees Fahrenheit, up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes them practical for use in any weather conditions. Some off-grid solar, RV, and Camper Van owners
That may be true for discharging, ie supplying current to your devices, but charging at even a few degrees below freezing can ruin Li batteries.

I guess it depends on what is meant by “use”.

David
Old 05-28-2023, 03:33 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Safe to use is bullcrap sales talk.
Safe to use/discharge, but not safe to charge.

If you don't have built in heaters, buy the tank heater or disconnect.

There is nothing else to discuss.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:04 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
That may be true for discharging, ie supplying current to your devices, but charging at even a few degrees below freezing can ruin Li batteries.

I guess it depends on what is meant by “use”.

David

Great point. There may be times when owner wants to use a little electrical power from lithium batteries even though below safe charging temperature. For example, may want to power 12 V lights, start generator, or most likely need would be to power propane furnace to get temperature in MH warmed up above freezing.

The last point, powering furnace, is why I prefer lithium batteries inside motorhome if possible. You always have option to run furnace and keep batteries and pipes well above 32 F.

Two options are to disconnect batteries completely, or disconnect only the charging sources, which can be tricky for some to remember and or manage. And of course, that only provides discharging from roughly 0 F to 35 F, so those in really cold climates below ~0 F can’t discharge either unless they somehow heat batteries. I’ve never camped below 0 F, but have many times below 32 F, though usually it was only that cold at night and early morning.

We all know motorhomes can often charge batteries in numerous ways, including shore, generator, alternator and solar, so it’s important that all sources are prevented from charging below battery rated temperature.

After conversions, it seems many owners forget about disabling solar. When motorhome is stored outside it’s easy to forget sun will charge even in winter. Obviously, higher quality equipment have built-in temperature protection, but I would not rely solely on them as primary disconnect. Battery BMS, solar charger, and DC-DC for alternator and possibly inverter/charger can have temperature disconnects, but I would always want a manual disconnect.