Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22fef
State: Texas
THOR #27228
Winterize

I'm not planning on using my thor freedom elite for winter. Does it make sense to start up the chassis engine and generator every month to keep it functioning? Also, it does get below freezing here in New mexico but just barely; maybe 24 on occasion. Can I get away with just emptying the tanks and blowing out the pipes and faucets and putting non-toxic antifreeze in the j traps?

Old 11-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Your winterizing plan seems solid. I live in North Florida and we also get into the 20's but I never winterize since we use the RV year round. If we are scheduled for a cold spell I'll just use electric heaters and the furnace if necessary to keep it above freezing.

Cummins Onan owners manuals state that the generator should be run at least two hours every month if use is infrequent. The generator should be operated at approximately half power to drive off moisture from inside the generator and to remove oxide from electrical contacts and generator slip rings. Running the unit at light or no load won’t accomplish that.

Do not start the engine unless you can drive it and brig it up to normal operating temperature.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If your MH will be in storage for more than 3 months, I would add a fuel stabilizer (Stabil or similar) to you coach's fuel tank. Drive it around for a few minutes to mix and fill the fuel tubing.

Then run the generator for 15 minutes to suck in stabilized fuel.

If you do these things, you can get by with not starting the chassis engine or generator while in storage, but I do it every couple of months to be safe.

David
Old 11-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #4
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Winterize

I live in southern Ontario, Canada and sometimes it gets cold here. My Axis is stored inside unheated. I have been blowing out the lines in trailers for at least 20 years and add the pink stuff to the drains, easy peasy. I go about once a month or so, run it for about 1/2 hr, start up the generator and pop a bag of popcorn. When the popcorns done I go home.