Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Winterizing with antifreeze

I used about 15-16 gallons of antifreeze in my clear water tank. I first opened the large valve and emptied it. I don’t think I got all the water as I didn’t level the rig. Then poured the antifreeze in.
I turned on the water pump and went to each spigot and turned it on. I was told to watch for the pink antifreeze to come out. It never really came out pink. There was a lot of sputtering and frothy liquid coming out. No, not clear like water, but not pink. It also had a bit of an alcohol scent.
Did I not use enough antifreeze and it diluted? Granted, water doesn’t froth, so I’m hoping that I’ve got at least some weak antifreeze in the pipes.
An additional data point is that I poured about 1/2 cup of bleach into the tank for the last few miles before draining the clear water tank.
On my 150 gallon clear tank, how many gallons of antifreeze should I use?

I know, I know, questions, questions...

The RV is a 2017 Thor Outlaw 38RE.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I used about 15-16 gallons of antifreeze in my clear water tank. I first opened the large valve and emptied it. I don’t think I got all the water as I didn’t level the rig. Then poured the antifreeze in.
I turned on the water pump and went to each spigot and turned it on. I was told to watch for the pink antifreeze to come out. It never really came out pink. There was a lot of sputtering and frothy liquid coming out. No, not clear like water, but not pink. It also had a bit of an alcohol scent.
Did I not use enough antifreeze and it diluted? Granted, water doesn’t froth, so I’m hoping that I’ve got at least some weak antifreeze in the pipes.
An additional data point is that I poured about 1/2 cup of bleach into the tank for the last few miles before draining the clear water tank.
On my 150 gallon clear tank, how many gallons of antifreeze should I use?

I know, I know, questions, questions...

Never put antifreeze in your FW tank. Install this between the pump and the FW tank. My 32' trailer take 2 gals. your MH will use a bit more depending on the plumbing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Pu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-10-2019, 01:07 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Most people will tell you not to put antifreeze in your fresh water tank.... just drain it. All of the coaches should have a by-pass near the pump that allows you to turn a valve to by-pass the fresh water tank to pump directly out of the RV anti-freeze bottle.

There is a fitting at the end of a PEX tube and you remove it, screw in an elbow with a section of clear tubing, place it into the gallon jug and turn on the pump. Then wait for the pink ant-freeze to come out of the hot and the cold from every faucet.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 AM   #4

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Most people will tell you not to put antifreeze in your fresh water tank.... just drain it. All of the coaches should have a by-pass near the pump that allows you to turn a valve to by-pass the fresh water tank to pump directly out of the RV anti-freeze bottle.

There is a fitting at the end of a PEX tube and you remove it, screw in an elbow with a section of clear tubing, place it into the gallon jug and turn on the pump. Then wait for the pink ant-freeze to come out of the hot and the cold from every faucet.
Any idea / clue where to look? I’ll start looking in the morn8g but would like a place to start...

Old 11-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Any idea / clue where to look? I’ll start looking in the morn8g but would like a place to start...

In general, start at the water tank... Nearby is typically the pump (turn it on if you need help locating). Between those two (a distance of about 12” on my coach) is the fresh water drain, and anti freeze inlet.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

THOR #15553
Did you bypass and drain the Water Heater? Youtube is your friend. You can probably find a vedio of you rig. If no they are all pretty much the same.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #7

THOR #17154
Woo Who!

Ok - today was my third day of winterizing my beast (The RV is a 2017 Thor Outlaw 38RE). I tried for 2 days to pour over 15 gallons of antifreeze in the FW tank, then tun the pump waiting for pink in the faucets. Nothing pink, only froth. So, I did a bunch of surfing and read that my RV has a winterization valve. I fabricated a short length of hose with a male end, plugged it into the inlet, put the other end into a bottle of antifreeze, turned on the pump and almost immediately had pink out of the faucets!!!! Voila!

4 gallons later I was done!

I drained and manually put the water heater valves to bypass. What is the function of the water heater bypass valve in this picture? How would I use it? I know that I want antifreeze in the pipes all the way to and past the heater so I can’t bypass all tubing between this valve and the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71EDD1A5-7F51-43F7-B286-5D73D9048BE6.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	21383  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #8

THOR #15553
Anderson valve does not bypass the WH. The by-pass in the Anderson valve is for the water pump as I understand these things. That is where your Anti freeze goes. The WH has valves on the back side of the heater.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The Anderson by pass is a second water heater by pass. Same as on the Challenger. In the spring make sure both are not by passed before turning on the water heater.

Suggest you contact Thor for a fresh water diagram and Anderson Brass for a Kantleak diagram.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Weary Traveler
Have you given any thought to learning how to blow the lines dry. You have used enough antifreeze to winterize a fleet of RV's.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #11

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Texas
THOR #12938
I was having similar issues with locating the winterizing/antifreeze inlet on my Quantum. After posting a few questions I took someone's advice and registered on the Thor Owners Resource website and was astonished as to the vast amounts of info, schematics, and drawings listed for my coach. On the schematics tab I found the exact location of the antifreeze inlet and valve for my coach. All you need is the VIN number of your coach to register and all information pertinent to your model is listed to view and download. I filled a 3 ring binder with info and it is now permanently stored in the coach for future reference.
A virtual gold mine of info.
Here is the link:

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/
Old 11-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Being that every other house within 20 miles of us apparently owns and RV, I couldn't find a drop of RV antifreeze anywhere this afternoon to get ready for the upcoming cold snap. Fabricated a quick fitting for the city water connection and just blew it all out, which is so much easier and I don't have to flush it out next week when we take off again
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

THOR #17154
Found the manual for the wet bay Anderson valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 200RV-PT Flow Diagram Anderson Kantleak RV.pdf (838.7 KB, 33 views)

Tags
newbie, winterizing