Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Winterizing the Freedom Elite 29fe

Temps to hit 20's here in the Georgia mountains this weekend and since we are not going anywhere for the next three months, it was a good time to break out the air compressor and antifreeze.

A couple things about the 29fe and possibly some others as well. The water pump is under the jackknife sofa, miserable location as to gain access to it, the sofa is neither closed or open but half way in between. First thing needed was a 2 x 4 cut to length to prop the thing open in it's half way state. Note to self, do not accidentally knock the 2 x 4 out from under while your hand is under it. Ask me how I know.

Next remove two panels, one under the sink where the trash can is stored to access the water heater valves. The second is in the bathroom under the shower pan in front of the toilet. There you will find the hidden low point drains.

On to the water heater to remove the plastic drain plug. Bring a 1" wrench. No way to get a socket on it. It will drain faster if you open the pressure relief valve. That done, back inside to turn the water heater valves to bypass position.

I used a pancake compressor set to 30 psi and attached it to the city water fill. Then started the process of opening one faucet at a time until nothing but air came out. Then open the low point drains to get any residual water. While this was going on, I had opened the fresh water tank valve as it takes a while to drain the half full tank. When I finished with the compressed air blow out, I closed the low point drains.

Back to the miserable sofa, hooked up a jug of antifreeze to the water pump supply, turned off the valve from the tank feed and fired up the pump to begin filling the water lines with antifreeze. Since the grey and black were empty, I used a bucket to catch the residual water until the faucets ran red excepting the toilet of course.

The outside kitchen has a macerator pump to empty the sink. It takes a little extra antifreeze to make sure the pump is protected. Finish everything off by putting a cup or so of antifreeze down each drain.

Have fun. Oh it takes about two full gallons to winterize the 29fe, that's if you first used compressed air to clear most of the water.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!! That's a whole lot of procedures...
Thanks for a GREAT explanation of how to get it done correctly!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In reality you only have to do one or the other...not both: Either antifreeze or air.

Don't think I've ever hooked a compressor up to any of my RV's water systems--just pump the pink stuff through them and your done. Took me about 15 minutes for our Axis a few weeks ago.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In reality you only have to do one or the other...not both: Either antifreeze or air.
Air is cheaper than antifreeze. Air first cuts down on the antifreeze usage.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Don't think I've ever hooked a compressor up to any of my RV's water systems--just pump the pink stuff through them and your done. Took me about 15 minutes for our Axis a few weeks ago.

Me too. I used no air and two gallons of pink stuff. Cost $6 and took 15 minutes. I’d rather spend the extra $3 for a second gallon than to lug out the compressor etc. I’m not convinced it takes more antifreeze if you don’t blow out first
Old 10-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Air is cheaper than antifreeze. Air first cuts down on the antifreeze usage.
How does air first cut down on antifreeze usage? It doesn't change the volume of the pipes you have to fill.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

THOR #4656
If you want the straight pink stuff without a mixture of water in it, blowing it out clears the water which dilutes the AF. Otherwise, just do it your way.

Geez, just trying to help out.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
If you want the straight pink stuff without a mixture of water in it, blowing it out clears the water which dilutes the AF. Otherwise, just do it your way.

Geez, just trying to help out.
LOL! I was just curious what the logic was. Ok I get it: since we're pushing the water out with the pink stuff there will be some dilution at the water antifreeze interface and you'll end up using more because you'll run the faucet more until you see "solid pink" coming out (whereas with air you only have to stop when anything comes out because there is no water).
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Me too. No criticism intended. Just curios cause it’s different from what I do.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #10

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Thanks for the post

Quote:
Temps to hit 20's here in the Georgia mountains this weekend and since we are not going anywhere for the next three months, it was a good time to break out the air compressor and antifreeze.

A couple things about the 29fe and possibly some others as well. The water pump is under the jackknife sofa, miserable location as to gain access to it, the sofa is neither closed or open but half way in between. First thing needed was a 2 x 4 cut to length to prop the thing open in it's half way state. Note to self, do not accidentally knock the 2 x 4 out from under while your hand is under it. Ask me how I know.

Next remove two panels, one under the sink where the trash can is stored to access the water heater valves. The second is in the bathroom under the shower pan in front of the toilet. There you will find the hidden low point drains.

On to the water heater to remove the plastic drain plug. Bring a 1" wrench. No way to get a socket on it. It will drain faster if you open the pressure relief valve. That done, back inside to turn the water heater valves to bypass position.

I used a pancake compressor set to 30 psi and attached it to the city water fill. Then started the process of opening one faucet at a time until nothing but air came out. Then open the low point drains to get any residual water. While this was going on, I had opened the fresh water tank valve as it takes a while to drain the half full tank. When I finished with the compressed air blow out, I closed the low point drains.

Back to the miserable sofa, hooked up a jug of antifreeze to the water pump supply, turned off the valve from the tank feed and fired up the pump to begin filling the water lines with antifreeze. Since the grey and black were empty, I used a bucket to catch the residual water until the faucets ran red excepting the toilet of course.

The outside kitchen has a macerator pump to empty the sink. It takes a little extra antifreeze to make sure the pump is protected. Finish everything off by putting a cup or so of antifreeze down each drain.

Have fun. Oh it takes about two full gallons to winterize the 29fe, that's if you first used compressed air to clear most of the water.
First thanks for the informative post some people just can't let someone say something without trying to one up them. Second a question. When I look under the shower there are three valves. I assume the two very close together very close the the front are the low drains. Any idea what the third valve further back is? Looks like it is on the hot water system but don't know what it's function is. Any ideas? Again thanks for the great post.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #11

THOR #4656
No idea on the third valve. I don't have one.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #12

THOR #7227
Quote:
no idea on the third valve. I don't have one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	7823Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	7824
Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #13

THOR #7227
The third valve is farther back under the blue and black pipe weird mine is a 2017. Hey thanks anyway Post helped me find my low drain valves.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Good write up. I'm going to do mine this weekend . I'm amazed at how hard they made this, in my toyhauler it was way so much easier.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Is that the fresh water tank drain?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #16

THOR #7227
Quote:
Is that the fresh water tank drain?

No the fresh water tank drain is on the side of the rig. I think it has something to do with the fresh water tank but it is not the drain. Maybe I will take some time to figure it out when I add the pink stuff this weekend. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #17

THOR #4656
JamJanTan, I stand corrected. You got my curiosity going. I couldn't imagine you had an extra valve and I didn't.

I got back under the shower again and lifted the heat duct and there buried beneath the subfloor was a third valve. It was on a blue line. I turned my pump on, all was still pressurized, and when I opened the valve, the pump kicked on. I went outside and looked under, guess what. A mixture of antifreeze and water was running on the ground as in light pink. Which tells me that it is a low point line that had some water left in it, but from where. The rest of my lines run pure antifreeze.

Since it is sandwiched between the floor and the subfloor, the only thing I can see is that it appears to terminate at that valve. It looks like it runs from the bath area, but it could have an "L" in it where it can't be seen. It's a mystery.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #18

THOR #7227
Quote:
JamJanTan, I stand corrected. You got my curiosity going. I couldn't imagine you had an extra valve and I didn't.

I got back under the shower again and lifted the heat duct and there buried beneath the subfloor was a third valve. It was on a blue line. I turned my pump on, all was still pressurized, and when I opened the valve, the pump kicked on. I went outside and looked under, guess what. A mixture of antifreeze and water was running on the ground as in light pink. Which tells me that it is a low point line that had some water left in it, but from where. The rest of my lines run pure antifreeze.

Since it is sandwiched between the floor and the subfloor, the only thing I can see is that it appears to terminate at that valve. It looks like it runs from the bath area, but it could have an "L" in it where it can't be seen. It's a mystery.

So now I am curious if I read you correctly there is a third low drain point? Maybe it comes from the fresh water tank? Does your fresh water tank have a valve next to the door to drain it?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #19

THOR #4656
Yes, freshwater drain is on the side by the door. No other connections to the tank other than the pump connection. A possibility would be the city water line on the way to the pump. Between us, we'll figure this one out.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5888
I also have 3 low point valves - still haven’t figured out what the 3rd one is for

Tags
29fe, winterize water system