Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Winterizing pros and cons – Compressed Air vs Antifreeze?

I have a 2018 Thor Citation 24SJ with a tankless water heater…I live and store the RV is West Portland Oregon which rarely suffers subzero temperature for long periods…but I still need to protect the RV when I store it this coming winter so what is your preference?…my reading suggests to me that a compressed air clearing process is more of what I would like to do…detailed thoughts please at your leisure?
…and talking about storing AND even regular usage in parks, do you all use string lighting around your RV’s at night?...solar or plug ins?
…who uses Irish Green soap chips on their tires to help ward off critters?...
…anybody got thoughts on using a peppermint spray around your RV’s each night before you turn in?
Some 'old wives tales'?...cheers Ian

Old 01-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you're going to be using it off and on during the colder months where you have to winterize/unwinterize frequently I'd definately go with air (much cheaper if you have the compressor already).

"Coming winter"? since we're pretty much 1/2 way through "this" winter you're asking about November/December of this year?? LOL

No lighting, not solar, not plugin, no soap chips, no peppermint spray...

Pull up, level, plug in, extend slide, done...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Winterizing pros and cons – Compressed Air vs Antifreeze?

I carry this compressor (it was $90 less when I bought it 18 months ago).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it to winterize my coach and have not had any issues. It only takes me 10 minutes and there is no mess.

You do want to make sure you use an oiless and tankless compressor like the one I ise so you do not potentially contaminate your fresh water system.

I set the regulator at 50psi and then open all the faucets, etc. until water stops spitting.

You stilk want to pour some antifreeze down the drains.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use the pink stuff and it takes all of about 15 minutes and costs under $10. Last year I did it 3 times over the winter. One time I did it at an interstate rest stop on the way home to subzero Indiana weather. FWIW, I saw a cutaway view of a compressor tank that was full of rust, oil and munge. If you do use the air method you might consider using a filter.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:28 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We are in Spokane and we use the pink stuff, it’s not that expensive and only takes a few minutes. It’s easy insurance and doesn’t take much to “summerize” it when you need to.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:24 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I live in Central Texas and for me winterizing is simple. We don't get freezing temps that last more than a couple of hours overnight. I drain the tanks and open the low water drains. When everything stops dripping, I open all the faucets and turn the water pump on for about 15 seconds. If we have a real cold spell, I open the cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathroom and turn on a small space heater. No problems doing it this way since we moved here in 1985.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 22HEF
State: Colorado
THOR #16189
We just got home from a trip to the keys. On the way home when we saw that we were going to be hitting freezing temps we winterized. Stopped at a rest stop and used the pink anitfreeze. It took about 30 minutes to drain water heater and pump the pink through the system. Then we were at the mercy of public restrooms!!!