Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Winterizing Tips for Diesel Pusher?

After 4 years loving our Axis 25.1, we're getting our first DP. If inspection goes well we pick up in 2 weeks. Sadly, it's going right into winter storage. What do I need to think about? The unit will come winterized, very familiar with RV antifreeze and winterizing the water system.

But the diesel aspect? Fuel additives? Treatment for generator since it is diesel also? Run generator or idle engine every month? Keep tank full?

Advice from current DP owners who deal with winter storage very much appreciated!

Old 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't have any advice...
But congratulations!
What are you getting?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I don't have any advice...
But congratulations!
What are you getting?
Thanks! 2016 Holiday Rambler Navigator XE 35B
Old 11-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572625171
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	21215  
Old 11-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Why the change?
That's a big difference in vehicles.

We believe we are immune to wanting a move up, but I'd sure like to know why you did... In case we should be making similar plans....
Old 11-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
RVs are just like potato chips: it's pretty tough to stop at just one!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #7

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I just fill the tank, change the oil and fuel filters (engine and gen), grease the chassis, check all fluids, check the batteries, change the bedding, use the pink stuff in water lines (never did this until the pusher, always just blew air through the lines in the gassers, but the washer scares me), plug it in and cover it up. In the spring sanitize, install new water filter and go camping. I probably missed something, but somebody on here will add what I forgot.
Mike
Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
The advice I got:
  • Keep the tank full - prevents condensation.
  • Add an anti gel additive.
  • They said don't bother running it every month - but I've heard conflicting stories about that. I think I may start it up when temperatures get near freezing - but not when it's really cold. They tell me the wax could gum things up.
  • Don't know about the generator - ours is propane.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Why the change?
That's a big difference in vehicles.

We believe we are immune to wanting a move up, but I'd sure like to know why you did... In case we should be making similar plans....
We love the Axis, but after 38k miles, the limitations were wearing thin. CCC for the Axis is only 1189, Flat towing our car in the Colorado mountains is really difficult and we would often drive separately. After 4 years with the Axis, we started to accumulate stuff - paddle boards, fold-up bikes, grill, etc. The under-storage in the DP will really help in this regard. Our girls aren't kids anymore. Four adults means the extra living space will help keep the peace. We are doing more and more trips. Soon, not too far down the road, we could be 1/4 time to 1/2 timers, the Axis isn't built for that type of use. These things, with new toy syndrome and there you have it!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post
After 4 years loving our Axis 25.1, we're getting our first DP. If inspection goes well we pick up in 2 weeks. Sadly, it's going right into winter storage. What do I need to think about? The unit will come winterized, very familiar with RV antifreeze and winterizing the water system.

But the diesel aspect? Fuel additives? Treatment for generator since it is diesel also? Run generator or idle engine every month? Keep tank full?

Advice from current DP owners who deal with winter storage very much appreciated!

Diesel is your best friend. You've got the winterizing down. Diesel is a very stable fuel and will be good for months and months. Keep tank full to minimize condensation, run generator monthly with a load...all is good! Diesel has the necessary additive packages in it today...unlike it was years ago with the gelling problems.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
If the rig has air brakes, you need to somehow purge the moisture from your air storage tanks. Mine didn’t have any purge valves on my POS Damon Ultrasport, so the following spring I was greeted with an air leak from the “plastic” pressure pop-off valve that had moisture in them, froze and cracked. Nice. You’re not going anywhere without air pressure....
Also, as I was told from a friend that spent forty years as a petrochemical engineer - BioDiesel grows bacteria at an alarming rate. Even faster if the tank is exposed to light. He recommended either storing it dry or with a healthy dose of biocide in the fuel. The problem with the biocides is that they may void your fuel system warranty.
So, if your diesel has any bio content - you may want to make the appropriate preparations...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #12

State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Lifetime Owner/professional driver (50+ years) here.

I would strongly suggest that you double the dosage of (your choice) Howes/Power Service/similar for winter treatment due to the amount of bio-fuel blend.The blending percentages vary from region to region & summer to winter.
DO NOT trust your fuel supplier to fully compensate for temps expected during winter. They normally only "look ahead" 1 to 3 weeks for expected low temperatures... depending on their tank capacities and sales volumes.
I have "jelled up" more times over the last 50 years than I care to remember.

1st, add the treatment of your choice , then...
2nd fill the fuel tank(s)
3rd, run both the main engine and the diesel generator for sufficient time to insure that the "doctored" fuel has fully circulated...
4th.. If you have an Aqua-Hot/Oasis/similar system also run those for a good period of time..
A bio-cide may also be introduced into your fuel system... to keep algae controlled.. (have spare filters for all systems on hand)

Happy Trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:04 AM   #13

THOR #2733
thank you to everyone with feedback, appreciate the information!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We haven't had a diesel pusher for quite some time. When we had it, we were living in NH where the winters are long and cold and damp. I filled the fuel tank and didn't use any kind of treatment, but that was back when biodiesel was not common. I did not run the engine or the generator during the storage time. I charged the batteries once a month or so. No problems.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #15

Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #3353
Hate to say it, but your new coach is going to be stored for the winter, and a good portion of your warranty will sit there with it unused. The first year of an RV is crucial....I'd postpone delivery if possible.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #16

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I've had no trouble with my diesel fuel in the winter. I agree with keeping the tank close to full. Diesel is very stable over time, even in cold weather. Your generator will be fine but it's best to run it with a load for 45 minutes or so once a month. You need to be sure the gennie radiator coolant fluid is winter rated also. You need to winterize the house water system like any RV in the winter either by antifreeze safe for water systems or blow out with air.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #17

THOR #2817
I had no problem with the generator because I didn't run it during the winter. We had extended periods with temperatures below freezing and occasional periods of time when the temperature was below zero. I felt that starting the generator would do more harm than good.

I have had a generator/welder for twenty years and it not used for six months at a time while we are living in Florida. It starts, runs, and produces power well each spring.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
RVs are just like potato chips: it's pretty tough to stop at just one!

Truth. It took us four tries to get it right. Expensive learning g curve. But we had fun with them all and we might be slow learners!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #19

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Truth. It took us four tries to get it right. Expensive learning g curve. But we had fun with them all and we might be slow learners!
We are also on our 4th and I'm not sure that we got it right. The outside size is great, but the inside it kind of like a big bob house.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post

The only thing with dp are fuel treatment, and will you be running engine and gen set over the winter?

Usually around early November all fuel retailers get there fuel treated from the delivery company and it depends on how cold your area normally gets, but most fuel this time of year is treated for 10-20 below 0 and I always add power serv to the fuel tanks and run engines to get treated fuel into all your filters, fuel gel typically occurs in the fuel filters when driving as the wind chill temps can easily get below 10-20 below zero, so follow direction on bottle for how many gallons of fuel your treating and in an emergency fuel gel on the road I would use power serv 911. power serv lowers gel point and the 911 will dissolve the gel but in any case I always change my fuel filters every spring.