Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
Winterizing Whirlpool residential fridge

I looked all over - couldn't find an answer to my questions - sorry for another "winterizing" thread

I have a 2021 Entegra Emblem - all except the residential fridge is winterized with antifreeze. Manual says that winterizing of my residential fridge is explained in form 0311859 - which for whatever reason I do not have.

Whirlpool ask to empty fridge water lines through low point drain on fridge which is supposed to be on the back of the fridge where I can't get to. I do not have a compressor either. Was trying to pump antifreeze through the waterlines with no luck. Any ideas ?

Thank you

Old 10-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
I looked all over - couldn't find an answer to my questions - sorry for another "winterizing" thread

I have a 2021 Entegra Emblem - all except the residential fridge is winterized with antifreeze. Manual says that winterizing of my residential fridge is explained in form 0311859 - which for whatever reason I do not have.

Whirlpool ask to empty fridge water lines through low point drain on fridge which is supposed to be on the back of the fridge where I can't get to. I do not have a compressor either. Was trying to pump antifreeze through the waterlines with no luck. Any ideas ?

Thank you

I’m glad I don’t have a residential fridge! But since you do and need to protect it….if it was mine I’d get a compressor and blow out the line. If you don’t want to do that you could operate the ice maker with antifreeze or, perhaps easiest, simply remove the ice maker and fill valve for the winter. The disconnected line probably would drain adequately through the coach low point drains.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have the Whirlpool.

I do have a compressor and blow the lines out before adding AF. I keep the compressor connected through multiple ice maker cycles to clear those lines.

I then draw the antifreeze in and leave the pump on until I get one tray of pink cubes. Takes 2 or 3 hours. This is contrary to Jayco's instructions but I have been using antifreeze in residential fridges for about 8 years and the one;y time I ever had a problem is the one year I didn't suck antifreeze into the ice maker.

Here is the instruction sheet referenced.

Winterizing Whirlpool Refrigerator.pdf
Old 10-30-2021, 11:58 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I have the Whirlpool.

I do have a compressor and blow the lines out before adding AF. I keep the compressor connected through multiple ice maker cycles to clear those lines.

I then draw the antifreeze in and leave the pump on until I get one tray of pink cubes. Takes 2 or 3 hours. This is contrary to Jayco's instructions but I have been using antifreeze in residential fridges for about 8 years and the one;y time I ever had a problem is the one year I didn't suck antifreeze into the ice maker.

Here is the instruction sheet referenced.

Attachment 34510
I do the same but you can speed up the process by removing the front from the ice maker and taking a piece of wire shaped into a u... Push the wire into 2 holes on the front of the ice maker. This completes the circuit making it run continuously. Takes less than a minute.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I've got the Whirlpool Residential Fridge and have never run RV antifreeze through it like some do.

First, the ice maker mechanism is meant to be in freezing temps. The only thing that can freeze of any concern is the polyethylene water line and solenoid valve on the back of the fridge. All I do is pressurize the lines with my compressor and then let the ice maker cycle once. That blows enough water into the ice maker that any remaining water in the line will not be able to expand enough when it freezes to cause the line to burst.

If you don't have a compressor, then just shut off your water pump and drain the rest of your plumbing. The ice maker water line will still be under pressure because it will be between the solenoid valve at the back of the fridge and one in the ice maker. The let the ice maker go through one cycle. The pressurized water will shoot into the ice maker tray and some will travel back into the cold water Pex giving you the same effect... a large air gap in the ice maker water line and it won't burst if the remaining water freezes.

What causes a water line to burst is being full of water and then when the water expands as it freezes there is no where for it to go. With enough air in the line, it will be fine. I've done it this way for several years and never had an issue. And I don't have to worry about making a bunch of ice to flush out the RV antifreeze from the ice maker water line.

If you really want to run antifreeze through the ice maker water lines. This is the easiest procedure via video per the previous post....

Old 10-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post

Thank you
I have an access door on the outside wall

Antifreeze is the best option

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I've got the Whirlpool Residential Fridge and have never run RV antifreeze through it like some do.

First, the ice maker mechanism is meant to be in freezing temps. The only thing that can freeze of any concern is the polyethylene water line and solenoid valve on the back of the fridge. All I do is pressurize the lines with my compressor and then let the ice maker cycle once. That blows enough water into the ice maker that any remaining water in the line will not be able to expand enough when it freezes to cause the line to burst.

If you don't have a compressor, then just shut off your water pump and drain the rest of your plumbing. The ice maker water line will still be under pressure because it will be between the solenoid valve at the back of the fridge and one in the ice maker. The let the ice maker go through one cycle. The pressurized water will shoot into the ice maker tray and some will travel back into the cold water Pex giving you the same effect... a large air gap in the ice maker water line and it won't burst if the remaining water freezes.

What causes a water line to burst is being full of water and then when the water expands as it freezes there is no where for it to go. With enough air in the line, it will be fine. I've done it this way for several years and never had an issue. And I don't have to worry about making a bunch of ice to flush out the RV antifreeze from the ice maker water line.

If you really want to run antifreeze through the ice maker water lines. This is the easiest procedure via video per the previous post....

Where’s the video for jumping the ice maker on a side by side whirlpool. That process works good on a Thor over under Whirlpool but not on an Entegra side by side Whirlpool with in door ice and water, which I believe the OP has.

Also, on the over under the solenoid valve and ice maker plumbing is not meant to work in freezing conditions. Read my thread from a few years ago when I did not get antifreeze into the ice maker in the Challenger. Took longer to chase down the parts and repair than it does to winterize with antifreeze.

But like I always say, folks can do whatever their wallets can afford.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Where’s the video for jumping the ice maker on a side by side whirlpool. That process works good on a Thor over under Whirlpool but not on an Entegra side by side Whirlpool with in door ice and water, which I believe the OP has.

Also, on the over under the solenoid valve and ice maker plumbing is not meant to work in freezing conditions. Read my thread from a few years ago when I did not get antifreeze into the ice maker in the Challenger. Took longer to chase down the parts and repair than it does to winterize with antifreeze.

But like I always say, folks can do whatever their wallets can afford.

I getcha….

But if the fridge is powered off, the solenoid valve isn’t “working” in freezing temps. Its an open and closed valve such that water is in either side of the mechanism and not actually inside it.

I’ve never had an issue so I’ll keep doing it the same way I have. Plus my Whirlpool manual has a section on storage below freezing temps and running antifreeze through it is not part of the storage procedure.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I getcha….

But if the fridge is powered off, the solenoid valve isn’t “working” in freezing temps. Its an open and closed valve such that water is in either side of the mechanism and not actually inside it.

I’ve never had an issue so I’ll keep doing it the same way I have. Plus my Whirlpool manual has a section on storage below freezing temps and running antifreeze through it is not part of the storage procedure.
A small amount of liquid will remain in the valve even with power off. The pics are for the Whirlpool over under solenoid valve. The valve is at the bottom of the fridge and not at the top by the ice maker. Residual water drains down into the valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E9C1AB-7D84-4993-9011-C23D79B3E7D9.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	34519

Click image for larger version

Name:	8FB8E241-A4E8-4E1C-BB48-A9A2292137AA.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	34520
Old 10-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

I use the outside door to drain the tube and for the water in the door you need to be sure it gets blown out

I had an RV dealer winterize my Landmark one time as it was in for 8k axles

They forgot to make sure the water chiller was clear

80 bucks and they wouldn't cover it