Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Glad saving $30 every couple of years makes you that happy! I’ll opt for the bigger field of view.
Actually my OEMs only lasted a little over a year before I saw rubber starting to peel off one blade, by the time I found out where to get replacement both blades were bad My objective was not all money. For something like this, I prefer to be able walk in and buy from a box store anywhere anytime I may need. I honestly could not see a difference in my field of view? If it is actually raining with wipers on, I am generally just focused straight ahead anyway. The $14 installed total spend was bonus. If I am ever at a Wal Mart boondocking overnight; it is great item to buy if I was looking for something to just be a customer and wishing to spend something locally . To be honest, I was expecting to pay $40 at Wal Mart !!! The Service guy just went and put them on. For those that may be reading, at the time I bought these blades, they WERE NOT ON SHELF in the store Rather they were inside the Service Bay. So you would not have known they were there unless you asked for them. Not sure why?

I will reserve judgement to see how long they may last, but like lwmcguire; I may consider just replacing after they are one year old on my first RV visit to a Wal Mart; as a bonus; it gives me something to do, when the DW insist we stop at a Wal Mart for something

Note / Disclaimer: If Wal Mart sold a Trico 32", or a Rain X Professional 32" beam blade in the stores; I would prolly have that 32" and be just as happy. But right now they don't, so I got the 28" and just shocked it only cost $7

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: California
THOR #10705
Wiper Blade Replacement

Try going to Trico Products.com
They have a large variety of wiper blades for RV's
We purchased Trico Flex 18-320 from Amazon 49.95 for the pair.
Hopes this helps
Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I value my life and therefore I don't buy Costco or any other cheap wiper blade not designed to "push" the heavy volume of water that may land on my windshield. My 24.1 Vegas uses the 32-inch wiper blade.

I find it cheaper to spend $50 or $60 for a set of wiper blades made for RVs and Heavy Duty Trucks. The alternative is to get in an accident and see the insurance adjuster turn your claim down because you used wiper blades designed for your daily driver.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
I value my life and therefore I don't buy Costco or any other cheap wiper blade not designed to "push" the heavy volume of water that may land on my windshield. My 24.1 Vegas uses the 32-inch wiper blade.

I find it cheaper to spend $50 or $60 for a set of wiper blades made for RVs and Heavy Duty Trucks. The alternative is to get in an accident and see the insurance adjuster turn your claim down because you used wiper blades designed for your daily driver.
The hook may be different but the blade is the same whether it goes on a car or truck. I put my beam style side by side and no difference

My little Escape Towed takes a 28 inch beam as do other small cars

Now there is always difference in brands and luckily we have options

A wiper blade is constructed based on it size not what it might go on. The motor and gear is constructed to handle the size of the intended service and often they are marginal as are the drive links. Lots of post about the mechanical side and the failures, none about light weight wiper blades
Old 05-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany
State: California
THOR #10705
Wiper Blade Replacement

Trico Wiper Blades are not what you would consider cheap. I am unaware if Costco carries them. I'm unaware of Costco carrying RV wipers.
I have been in the RV world since 1969 and find Trico a reliable and valuable
product line.
Trico Products.com
You can also check their product line reviews.
I would never arbitrarily refer anyone to cheap life threatening products.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:06 AM   #26

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Actually my OEMs only lasted a little over a year before I saw rubber starting to peel off one blade, by the time I found out where to get replacement both blades were bad My objective was not all money. For something like this, I prefer to be able walk in and buy from a box store anywhere anytime I may need. I honestly could not see a difference in my field of view? If it is actually raining with wipers on, I am generally just focused straight ahead anyway. The $14 installed total spend was bonus. If I am ever at a Wal Mart boondocking overnight; it is great item to buy if I was looking for something to just be a customer and wishing to spend something locally . To be honest, I was expecting to pay $40 at Wal Mart !!! The Service guy just went and put them on. For those that may be reading, at the time I bought these blades, they WERE NOT ON SHELF in the store Rather they were inside the Service Bay. So you would not have known they were there unless you asked for them. Not sure why?

I will reserve judgement to see how long they may last, but like lwmcguire; I may consider just replacing after they are one year old on my first RV visit to a Wal Mart; as a bonus; it gives me something to do, when the DW insist we stop at a Wal Mart for something

Note / Disclaimer: If Wal Mart sold a Trico 32", or a Rain X Professional 32" beam blade in the stores; I would prolly have that 32" and be just as happy. But right now they don't, so I got the 28" and just shocked it only cost $7

I picked up a set of these but when I got home I found the J-hook was too wide for the connector on the blade. I need to find something that fits the wider J-Hook wiper arms.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
I picked up a set of these but when I got home I found the J-hook was too wide for the connector on the blade. I need to find something that fits the wider J-Hook wiper arms.
Post a picture or exact model you bought? If you did what I said or did, you never would have left the store without them being Professionally Installed. You prolly didn't read the thread carefully? The set I bought were Professional series and installed by Wal Mart service men; and stored in service bay area only ( at least in my store). They were not on the store shelfs. Some of shelf brands including Rain X j hooks did not fit as that was the initial problem and what I was seeking to fix

Regardless the Rain X Professional 28" beam blades are on my coach and work & fit fine. No mod required, and only $7; which cost had nothing to do with my selection. Just wanted to get something immediate that is standard stock at any Wal Mart store.

Note: You may wish to drive your RV; sound like I heard them say they suppose to install them per agreement with Rain X. They took 2 min to put both blades on. I can't tell the difference than OEM. I bet they last at least as long if not longer than my OEM which only lasted 1 year? Like I told a poster earlier, in future; if I am traveling and staying at a Wal Mart, I will buy a new set as PM every year; just to buy something if we otherwise have nothing to buy? Also, next time, I will see if they allow me to buy an extra set? At home they are easy to take on/off. I have No idea why they are in service center bay area and why they insisted to install?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDGDD View Post
Trico Wiper Blades are not what you would consider cheap. I am unaware if Costco carries them. I'm unaware of Costco carrying RV wipers.
I have been in the RV world since 1969 and find Trico a reliable and valuable
product line.
Trico Products.com
You can also check their product line reviews.
I would never arbitrarily refer anyone to cheap life threatening products.

I don't think Rain X Professional Blades are "cheap life threatening products" ; if so please include me in Class Action Lawsuit against Wal Mart and lets all get rich together. But they are Cheap so if you do not wish to buy because the price is too low $7 each ( at the time of my purchase), that is your prerogative.

Note: I only needed new blades because my OEM blades (both of them) had gone defective on a coach that was only 1 year old I along with millions have been buying all of my wiper blades for all of my cars and trucks from Wal Mart since the beginning of time, never had an issue. In fact same brands except for the Rain X Professional Blades that fit the RV; are sold in most Auto Parts stores.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #29

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #19878
If you go with Piaa silicone wiper blades they will be the last blades that you'll ever buy.

https://www.piaa.com/siliconewiperblades
Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post
If you go with Piaa silicone wiper blades they will be the last blades that you'll ever buy.

https://www.piaa.com/siliconewiperblades

I didn't quite see what makes this set the last set you ever buy? I get the Silicon part, but they only have 1 year warranty like the others.

PIAA Corporation, USA (“PIAA”) warrants the Super Silicone Wiper Blades to be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use for one year from the date of purchase.

If I recall the point of the thread was finding, and the availability of blades that would fit that the F-53 J - hooks. It was not to knock OEM or some other brands, but in most cases ( actually all for me) you have to order online. I checked a few Truck stops with no luck. To my knowledge I have NEVER had ANY trouble with wiper blades. Yes they all will wear eventually and sometimes unexpectantly. Versus some that actually grind down their J hooks so the regular store bought blades will work, I was just pointing out where you can get the blades that fit perfectly at any Wal Mart that has Auto Service center or not

If the subject changes IF Rain X Professional 28", Trico 32" or PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades 28" or 32" were all readily and freely available at Wal Mart or similar; let the games begin. I would likely buy the Trico because I know they are the original size and not need anything that could be considered technically better.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
This has sure been quite a discussion

I use the same beam style and length on my Escape towed as on the Tuscany

Apparently the Tuscany with the huge windshield has a smaller J hook than what many of you have

I used the Silicon wipers for years and thought they were OK on my vehicles, don't remember when they came out but at least 25 years ago

Treatment works best. And many products are available that work well. Just takes some time and the side benefit is easier bug removal

Sure wouldn't hurt to run the Silicon wiper if desired but I don't need it with the windshield treated and of course you treat the entire glass
Old 06-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Auto one great price free labor wipers
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Old post but I just ordered Trico RV wiper blades from Amazon $58 after the local O'Henry's Auto parts guys freaked out claiming they have no way of finding out how to order RV blades. The Trico web page has your RV listed and their part number. The old blades are 29 1/2" and the Trico parts guide lists the replacements as 28". Go figure
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:20 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Old post but I just ordered Trico RV wiper blades from Amazon $58 after the local O'Henry's Auto parts guys freaked out claiming they have no way of finding out how to order RV blades. The Trico web page has your RV listed and their part number. The old blades are 29 1/2" and the Trico parts guide lists the replacements as 28". Go figure
Great
Old 07-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #35

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26284
Interesting discussion on this. My driver side is starting to come apart and I had a Rain ex 28" as a spare and when I went to change it the J hook is to wide to slip into the blade. Went to two different major retailers and they have nothing that is wide enough to slip over the J hook which is just shy of 1/2" wide.

I guess I will take the failing blade and visit some truck stops to find a replacement before we leave in a few days for a trip. I started using Rain ex on my face shield for racing in the rain and love the stuff. Use on all windshields and the wife sometimes ask me to turn on the wipers since she can't see but I am fine and the driver. I have noticed that if you are traveling slower than 50MPH the rain won't blow off as good as above that speed.

Ed
Old 07-17-2022, 02:58 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed FV racer View Post
Interesting discussion on this. My driver side is starting to come apart and I had a Rain ex 28" as a spare and when I went to change it the J hook is to wide to slip into the blade. Went to two different major retailers and they have nothing that is wide enough to slip over the J hook which is just shy of 1/2" wide.

I guess I will take the failing blade and visit some truck stops to find a replacement before we leave in a few days for a trip. I started using Rain ex on my face shield for racing in the rain and love the stuff. Use on all windshields and the wife sometimes ask me to turn on the wipers since she can't see but I am fine and the driver. I have noticed that if you are traveling slower than 50MPH the rain won't blow off as good as above that speed.

Ed
The question is WHICH Rain-X 28" did you buy?

See my Post #21 & 27 and see how I came about the Rain X Professional 28" beam blades. The Rain X I bought off the shelf did not fit either, I had to return to Wal Mart. They had what I need in the shop not on the shelf. They also claimed they had to install? But I had no problem with that. It is why I don't have spares

My original OEM blades only made 1 year where my supposedly cheap Rain X Professional 28" beam blades that Wal Mart installed for me for free are still going after 2 years.

Disclaimer, it has been a few years since I bought; so maybe Wal Mart no longer sells the Beam Blades you need; but you have to go through Service dept. to get them
Old 07-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #37

THOR #26284
Thanks, the wife is trying to find them now. The Wall Marts here in central PA don't have service centers like the one I stayed at in Huston or the one we stopped at in Ennis Texas.

Ed
Old 07-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks, the wife is trying to find them now. The Wall Marts here in central PA don't have service centers like the one I stayed at in Huston or the one we stopped at in Ennis Texas.

Ed
If it helps I still have the Yellow / Blue cardboard insert from my packaging, I kept thinking if at another Wal Mart, they would know what I had.

For whatever reason, it says FOR PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION only; so maybe Rain X was doing something in conjunction with Wal Mart Service centers?

Again, I 1st bought a 28" Rain X off the shelf and got the exact same issue you described. Fortunately for me, I didn't just return it, opting to ask the service center if I was doing something wrong. He goes out to the shop with another Rain X 28 and says let try this one. He puts on the RV and I do both. I then returned the other and they work great. Not saying they better than OEM, but saying they work and now have lasted 2 to 3 as long. They were cheap enough for me to not care anyway; even if I had to buy a new pair every year.

For your DW in her search, this is what my packaging says....

Rain X Pro Plus
Beam Blade
Curved to provide Smooth Wipe
For Professional Installation Only
0 7911810148 0
Questions or Comments Call 1-855-888-1990

Good Luck

Next time I am in Wal Mart; I will see if they still have them in my store. If not, I wonder what the replacement P/N for Rain X is? As you know, they are super easy to put on. I would like to have two spares in the RV, but at the time I could not buy two over the counter to take home
Old 07-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #39

THOR #26284
Unfortunatly Wallmart does not have them and no place I check does as well. I also went to a truck stop and they didn't have anything and looking at the trucks getting fuel they have much smaller windshields than class A motor homes and use standard size blades.

Outdoor World said they could get them but don't keep them and would need to order them. I stopped just down the road and a NE chain ordered one in for me to arrive next day. I stopped at a few parts stores along the way back home and the area Federate Auto parts chain I had a great woman find them and said it would be there by 4:30 that day but I said I would stop the next day.

So yesterday I picked up one at each place for $37 each and although in different packaging from different companies they were exactly the same blade and only the plastic piece that slips into the J hook appeared to be slightly different but they both fit fine. I now have a spare.

So I think what happened is Thor might have gotten a supply of different arms and that is what is causing the issue since mine takes at motor home blade where as other models use the stand size that fits all vehicles.

Ed
Old 07-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Unfortunatly Wallmart does not have them and no place I check does as well. I also went to a truck stop and they didn't have anything and looking at the trucks getting fuel they have much smaller windshields than class A motor homes and use standard size blades.

Outdoor World said they could get them but don't keep them and would need to order them. I stopped just down the road and a NE chain ordered one in for me to arrive next day. I stopped at a few parts stores along the way back home and the area Federate Auto parts chain I had a great woman find them and said it would be there by 4:30 that day but I said I would stop the next day.

So yesterday I picked up one at each place for $37 each and although in different packaging from different companies they were exactly the same blade and only the plastic piece that slips into the J hook appeared to be slightly different but they both fit fine. I now have a spare.

So I think what happened is Thor might have gotten a supply of different arms and that is what is causing the issue since mine takes at motor home blade where as other models use the stand size that fits all vehicles.

Ed
For $37 you might have done better by ordering the OEM made by Trico? Maybe you did or that cost was due to overnight shipping.

You may not have followed but what I was saying, none of the other Auto Part stores or the Wal Mart shelves had what fit mine either. Mine is NOT standard size as you you suggest and mine has nothing to do with Thor because I am SOB.

Glad you followed up, because I will return to my Wal Mart store to get two more and to see if they still sell. If thy do not I will order the Trico off Amazon as my backup.

I paid less than $12 each last time at Wal Mart and the fit like a champ. They came with adaptors to fit the odd size for RV. The more I think about it, it may have been a limited supply thing with Rain X and Wal Mart? Wal Mart is big enough to have their own P/N with vendors like Rain X.

FWIW, the biggest reason I went with Wal Mart last time, was my belief that I could basically get them anywhere. NOT the PRICE. You are alerting me that Wal Mart may no longer sell them? If one of my ripped today, I want to put a new one on the same day, where I live I am always 15 min from a Wal Mart no matter where I go.