Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2021, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
Wiper Discrepancy

These windshield wipers for the Thor VEGAS/AXIS are expensive! Some more than $50/pair. So investigating the correct application can save aggravation and money.
I am now a constant user of Ed Felker's Handbook and Modified Owner's manual. In the chapter "Wiper Blade Replacements" the very first statement states that the OEM blades are 29 1/2". Reading further, it states (from a Thor Forum user) that the replacement blade is a TRU VISION TV8-32, which is their 32" model. Further checking finds that TRICO lists the blades for the VEGAS/AXIS at 28" !!
I bought (and threw the bad ones away) a pair of the 28" wipers with the correct "J" hook and I think I should have just thrown away the $50- - It would have been easier. I am not happy with these, to say the least.
Can someone clear this up for me (and maybe others) before I spend more money ? TIA. Ed V.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think you may be overthinking this. I tend to use the factory length but prefer a better than OE quality blade. But as long as the J hook matches you will barely notice the difference between 32 and 28 inches as long as there is room for them to park. If the factory is 28.5 I’d probably go with the 28.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I use standard 28" on the Tuscany, work fine and inexpensive to replace
Old 01-30-2021, 03:24 AM   #4

THOR #21560
Thanks for the input- The 28" pair is what I got to replace what I think was OEM. I don't believe there is enough room when 32s are parked. I'll take another look - maybe there's an adjustment that can be made to improve the effective area. I, too, would prefer to use a better quality than OEM. I may go that route- they are less expensive, too. Ed V.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
How often do most people change their wiper blades? On my Hurricane, I have been using cheap ones from wally world and changing them twice a year. But I rarely drive the coach in the rain.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #6

THOR #21560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
How often do most people change their wiper blades? On my Hurricane, I have been using cheap ones from wally world and changing them twice a year. But I rarely drive the coach in the rain.
You are absolutely correct - - EXCEPT as in my case- when your spousal half calls me ANAL and always uses the "changing of the wipers" on our vehicles as an example. And that has been going on for 56 years!
Old 01-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
These windshield wipers for the Thor VEGAS/AXIS are expensive! Some more than $50/pair. So investigating the correct application can save aggravation and money.
I am now a constant user of Ed Felker's Handbook and Modified Owner's manual. In the chapter "Wiper Blade Replacements" the very first statement states that the OEM blades are 29 1/2". Reading further, it states (from a Thor Forum user) that the replacement blade is a TRU VISION TV8-32, which is their 32" model. Further checking finds that TRICO lists the blades for the VEGAS/AXIS at 28" !!
I bought (and threw the bad ones away) a pair of the 28" wipers with the correct "J" hook and I think I should have just thrown away the $50- - It would have been easier. I am not happy with these, to say the least.
Can someone clear this up for me (and maybe others) before I spend more money ? TIA. Ed V.
Check my post #3 at https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...des-17659.html
and post #5 for wiper adapters to use std. wipers of your choice from store of your choice. I installed them a few years ago and have had good results. It also enables you to quickly and easily remove your wipers when your RV is not in use, thus keeping them from aging out.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:11 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

Really? I change mine maybe every 3-4 years. Which is why it doesn’t much bother me to buy premium 32 inch blades at about $60. I keep covers on them when I’m not using the coach and hold the blades off the windshield with a couple of old tennis balls between the arms and the glass. Actually I think they’d last almost indefinitely.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Really? I change mine maybe every 3-4 years. Which is why it doesn’t much bother me to buy premium 32 inch blades at about $60. I keep covers on them when I’m not using the coach and hold the blades off the windshield with a couple of old tennis balls between the arms and the glass. Actually I think they’d last almost indefinitely.
Last fall I started using short pieces of schedule 40 PVC to keep the blades off the windshield. Maybe I'll only change them once a year now.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote