Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #2289
Wiper stripped?

We were heading home from our first trip in a 2000 Windsport 36' MH in the rain---the right wiper started working then just stopped and slid all the way to the right---It now just moves freely....Any idea how to remove the wiper unit and is it fixable? Where would I need to go to find a replacement?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneEddy View Post
We were heading home from our first trip in a 2000 Windsport 36' MH in the rain---the right wiper started working then just stopped and slid all the way to the right---It now just moves freely....Any idea how to remove the wiper unit and is it fixable? Where would I need to go to find a replacement?
First, there is usually a splined bushing inside the wiper arm when then slips onto the shaft of the wiper arm motor. This splined shaft can become worn from either being the wrong size and type or from the arm not being correctly tightened on the motor shaft.

Not sure how the Windsport's wiper are mounted but my challenger has a cap nut at the bottom of the wiper arm. Remove the cap nut and then gently pry the arm off the shaft.

If the splined bushing is in fact the problem they can be purchased at most auto parts stores.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

THOR #2289
Thanks Dave !! I was thinking that may be the case. I'll try to get the wiper arm off today and see if it is in fact the bushing.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
here's to hoping it's just a loose screw!
That's happened to me on other vehicles in the past....
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

THOR #2289
Got it fixed----the shaft is splined and conical----took wiper off and cleaned the splines then got a slightly oversized washer to press the wiper onto the splines. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #2399
We have a new 2016 Miramar 34.3 and took it on our first trip this week. We had to use the wipers in some light rain and they were fine, for a bit. Then the driver's side wiper just went up then out of sight! We had to find a place to safely stop and found the wiper just hanging there. My husband was said the nut was completely loose, so he tightened it up and we were good to go. The passenger side was nice and tight. Way to go QC dept.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarine6523 View Post
We have a new 2016 Miramar 34.3 and took it on our first trip this week. We had to use the wipers in some light rain and they were fine, for a bit. Then the driver's side wiper just went up then out of sight! We had to find a place to safely stop and found the wiper just hanging there. My husband was said the nut was completely loose, so he tightened it up and we were good to go. The passenger side was nice and tight. Way to go QC dept.
Way to go dealer. That should have been caught during the visual inspection of safety items before the dealer delivered the vehicle to you.

Question, what else did your dealer miss?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #2399
Well, as of today, 6 things. The dinette table fell off the wall on the 10 mile drive home from the dealer the first day. The first trip revealed that the door gets stuck and you have to body slam it to open or close it. The USB charging station doesn't charge anything. One set of seatbelts is missing from the sofa, the ice maker gets no water, and there is a big chip in the bar at the end of the counter (to stop liquid from rolling onto the dinette seat). They did manage to find that the propane reading module was faulty and ordered a new one.

We called the dealer's service dept. today and wanted to get the door fixed, since that is a definite safety issue. They said they couldn't fit us in for 3 weeks, but we have another trip scheduled in 2 weeks. A phone call to our salesman (he is off but answered his phone) got us another name to contact, who then got us to a service technician that is meeting with my husband right now to try to adjust it. We will keep the appointment in 3 weeks to take care of the little things. I did get the dinette table fixed by putting the small plastic inserts into the stripped wallboard then reinstalling the table and screws. They are aware of this and if it falls out again, they will be responsible for fixing it.