Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
JMF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
Amp Hours for Powertron (Trojan) D27DC-160 batteries

Our Siesta has two Powertron house batteries joined in parallel. There is no Amphour rating on them - only 600CCA, 160RC and 750CA. Need to know the Amp Hours for 20A rating to set the Battery Monitor. Does anyone know this? I've seen several calculations on the web but they range from 67 - 82 AH for one battery, couldn't find anything more specific.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Here is what I could find for you......

Doesn't list the 20Ah rating but you may be able to call Distribution Now for it.

https://www.distributionnow.com/-/me...duct_flyer.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	23482  
Old 04-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF View Post
Our Siesta has two Powertron house batteries joined in parallel. There is no Amphour rating on them - only 600CCA, 160RC and 750CA. Need to know the Amp Hours for 20A rating to set the Battery Monitor. Does anyone know this? I've seen several calculations on the web but they range from 67 - 82 AH for one battery, couldn't find anything more specific.

The 67 Amp-hour comes from 25 Amps X 160 minutes (2 hours 40 minutes), or 25X2.667. However, that’s discharging much faster than at 20-hour rate.

Your battery is listed as a “starting” battery, which typically don’t have 20-hour capacity ratings. I think you may not find the definitive answer you’re looking for.

I looked for another “deep-cycle” Trojan battery with similar 25-Amp Reserve Capacity of 160 minutes, and could only find an AGM deep cycle battery rated at 158 minutes and 89 Amp-hours at 20-hour rate. If you could extrapolate, it would place your battery “around” 90 Amp-hours at 20-hour rate. But you can’t really compare AGM versus flooded, or deep cycle versus starting all that accurately, so the 90 Ah is only a rough approximation.

If you find out from Trojan, please let us know. It will be interesting information to have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C95B6B0D-7B0D-484E-AE29-B8EC325B4595.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	23484  
Old 04-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
JMF

Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
Hi Chance,
Thanks for that info. I did call Trojan tech support but they didn't know. I'll be calling Trojan Sales in the morning. I have seen other lead acid batteries rated around 90-115AH for a group 27 with RC160. Here's one that says its rated 115 from Autocraft:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...dc-2/2080036-P

We've set the Battery Monitor to 190AH (95AH each for the two in parallel). It shows the % of battery available as well as voltage, amperage and charging/discharging indicator.
We should be able to get an idea of how accurate this is when we use the RV at night (we have a solar charger) and without the generator or shorepower hooked up.
I'll let you know if I find out more. J

Tags
battery amphours