Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: West Virginia
THOR #21234
Wondering if the second version of the BCC recall was done...

So it looks like my chassis battery is not being charged while on shore power, and also my emergency start switch does not seem to work. I did email Thor to see if the BCC recall had been done, and they said that all recalls had been done, but perhaps they only did the initial BCC recall, and not the 2nd version. Would that cause my issues? This is what my BCC box looks like, which does not match what I have found online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210225_182828.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	28748  

Old 02-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just doing a “quick look” at your BCC external wiring picture, it looks like the original “chassis switched” cable was moved off its labelled terminal and onto the chassis battery terminal as specified by the recall, but then someone has placed the red shorting cable between the chassis battery terminal and the chassis switched terminal......which I “think” basically bypasses the chassis disconnect relay main latching contacts inside the BCC. So this would “probably” mean that the loads controlled by the chassis disconnect relay (like steps; dash loads – blower motor, etc) could not have chassis battery power disconnected, using the chassis disconnect switch at the door (which operates and releases the chassis disconnect latching relay), when/if required. But, it also means (if I am correct) that if the chassis disconnect relay ever fails, those loads will still have power from the chassis battery (if the battery is good, etc.). So it is probably OK as wired depending on how you want to control those chassis loads. I am not sure if the gauge of that red bypass wire is suitable for the loads or not though; should match rating of contacts on the latching relay I would think.

So, your described trouble sounds like possibly the interconnect relay (silver looking relay connected between the bus bars) has failed open; or worst case the circuit board in the BCC that allows operation of the interconnect relay has a problem. I would guess the interconnect relay would be a good starting point to check out. I am attaching some pictures that may help. There are also documents on line with descriptions of how this BCC operates; troubleshooting etc and a very good youtube video of opening up the BCC and describing it. Hope this helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Products Schematic.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	28823  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp BCC Relays.bmp (1.11 MB, 83 views)
File Type: bmp RelaysPic 2.bmp (1.06 MB, 67 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

THOR #21234
I guess I am confused, as per the "update" recall, the cable from the Chassis Switched terminal was moved to the Chassis Battery terminal, and I still have cables on my Chassis Switched terminal.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Go to RV Custom Products https://rvcustomproducts.com/ . Under products, go to FW-2050 and download the file named 13V-265, which will give you info on the recall and the correct fix. If that doesn't answer your questions their customer service was very helpful when I had an issue wit my batteries not charging. I have a TH-1020 BCC in our 2015 Windsport. my problem turned out to be a bad ground connection to the frame in the coach battery compartment. Phone # is 562-921-8353. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Hi. Technically you should be able to remove that red cable (with due care and attention - all battery grounds disconnected and taped; no SP; no gen) from between the chassis battery post and the chassis switched post on the BCC, as long as your chassis disconnect latching relay is working properly. Then, in order to power many of the electrical loads still connected to the chassis battery, through the chassis disconnect latching relay, you would have to operate the “chassis disconnect” switch located near the entrance to your coach.

The Thor recall, by moving the original chassis switched cable over to the chassis battery post, basically hard connected many of the critical Ford chassis loads to the chassis battery. This was done because if the chassis disconnect latching relay inside the BCC failed open at any time, (eg., the engine could die going down the road at night, with loss of lights and other critical systems). I am assuming a previous owner, or whoever did this recall also added the red wire, I assume, to make sure that if the chassis disconnect latch relay ever failed after the recall, the other electrical loads still connected to the switched side of the latching relay would remain powered.

I am not sure why you mention a “second recall”, as I thought there was only the one recall, unless I missed something. I know some folks just left the original factory cables attached to the BCC terminals and then jumpered across (like your red wire) with a large gauge battery cable. Technically it satisfies the recall, but also makes the “chassis disconnect” switch at your entrance door useless. Makes disconnecting the chassis battery from its remaining switched loads more difficult, if you want to do that.

Regarding your described trouble though, if you look in the top left corner of the schematic I attached previously, the top two terminals down the left side are where the chassis battery (top) and the coach battery (next one down) attach to the BCC. You will note that there is an open relay contact shown between those two connection points inside the BCC on the schematic. That is the “interconnect relay”, which under certain conditions closes to connect the chassis and coach batteries together for joint charging and for emergency starting. So it also closes when the driver operates the emergency start switch (if everything is working OK). I suspect that silver relay (interconnect relay on the schematic) in my previous pictures, is your problem, or related wiring/connection that normally operate that relay. I don’t think the red wire is responsible for this trouble. If you do not have electrical experience though, I would caution you not to go into the BCC with any battery grounds connected and even be very careful working on the exterior of the BCC. Serious electrical problems could result if you are not careful here. If you find you have to replace the interconnect relay, I would leave that to someone with the electrical experience to do so. I think Thor would just replace the whole BCC through a Dealer for big bucks; you probably can buy parts on line from the manufacturer or Amazon, but need the electrical safety knowledge to replace it. Look for the documents and video on line that I suggested in my first post and through testing procedures, you may find your problem is just a loose interconnect relay control connection somewhere.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:36 AM   #6

THOR #21234
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. What I meant by "second recall" was the revision that modified the original recall. I did check both, and it seems the initial recall was done, but not the revision. I don't think that has anything to do with my issue though, and more than likely, it's the relay that is at fault. I do have some electrical know how, and may look into it down the line, but as it is, it's not anything that needs fixed ASAP.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

THOR #2631
Thanks for clarifying the two BCC recalls AxiaFlux. I purchased our 2013 ACE new in Sept 2012, but the only recall notice I received was the final “corrected one” released in July 2013 I think......which places both power cables on the Chassis Battery terminal of the BCC. So your picture shows the correct final placement. The red strap is an add on, probably done by previous owner for reasons discussed already. By the way I do carry a short commercially purchased battery strap in my spares stock so in case the chassis latch relay fails, I can simulate your red strap as an optional bypass. I normally leave my coach and chassis battery switches on all camping season, since we rarely boondock and we are always on SP when camped/parked at home. Less wear and tear on the latching relays, which are a PIA to change in this BCC. Happy camping.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:34 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #10286
Fuse location

I have had my BCC repaired per the recall, however i lost my jack, radio and winshield fan power. Are those fuses in the BCC. Thanks
Old 07-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #9

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookierv View Post
I have had my BCC repaired per the recall, however i lost my jack, radio and winshield fan power. Are those fuses in the BCC. Thanks

If you refer to the schematic shown in a previous post, the three fuses for the three loads that you mention are labelled as inside the BCC (assuming you have the same BCC). They appear on different plugs on the BCC circuit board......so if the fuses are actually blown for those three loads, it would be a strange occurrence I think. Maybe the fuses are just loose and need re-seating? Be very careful accessing the BCC internals as some major welding can be done if you are not careful. I would suggest disconnecting shore, gen off and all battery grounds removed while you investigate for safety sake.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #10

THOR #10286
BCC jumper

I have performed the second fix on the BCC terminals. My concern is that once this procedure is done, is it normal for the relay to be very worm or hot
Old 07-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #11

THOR #10286
Is it normal for the interconnect to heat up once the jumper is connected
Old 07-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #12

THOR #2631
Quote:

Well the first thing is that the BCC recall that I am familiar with, basically removes the switched chassis cable off the BCC external switched chassis terminal and moves it permanently to the BCC external chassis battery terminal. Basically all this does is ensure that if the chassis battery latching relay inside the BCC fails open, that you can still start and run the engine and have your headlights and other related systems etc. This is a critical safety issue especially if you are driving at , but anytime you are operating the coach.
The latching relays only require power to set them on or off and once latched in either position the power is removed (momentary on/off switches at the door) and the latching relay coils should not heat up. The interconnect relay is not a latching relay, but closes its contacts when power is applied to its coil and releases its contacts when power is removed from the coil. The interconnect relay is used to tie the chassis and coach batteries together under certain charging/timing conditions. There is a good operational write up on this if you go to the RV Custom Products web site and look up the BCC unit you have. I would “expect” the interconnect relay to get warm when it is operated for long periods, but since it is buried inside the BCC I have not done a finger “hot” test on mine. Also I always have my coach on shore power when it is available and this ensures both chassis and coach batteries remain fully charged when the BCC control system (via the circuit board inside the BCC) and other items in the charging circuit are working properly. My ACE is 10 years old and I have not had any failures of latching relays or interconnect relay as yet. Just a note on the coach and chassis latching relay switches at the door of the coach: Never use them like you would a light switch and never hold them operated (they are momentary switches) for a long period......or you will very likely damage the latching relay they control. At the start of camping season my switches go on and stay on......unless the coach is to be worked on; no shore available; or parked for the off season. I hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:35 AM   #13

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
I'll try this angle...
How do you know the relay is heating up? And which ΔT you referring to?