Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Sitting in the KOA Sugarloaf. Guy a few spots down has new Dutch Star, dual axle, about 40+feet. Nice rig. He is holding the railing on the roof edges (hided/protects ac, vents etc.) with a rope and duct tape. Says things break constantly.
I'd buy another Thor. 2.5 years, 20,000 miles. 30 foot, two ac's, auto level, tankless water heater, full body paint, etc.
By the way, not sure if it's gas prices or what, but the campground is half empty.
Wasn't cheap driving down at 10mpg, 900ish miles.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #302

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Sitting in the KOA Sugarloaf. Guy a few spots down has new Dutch Star, dual axle, about 40+feet. Nice rig. He is holding the railing on the roof edges (hided/protects ac, vents etc.) with a rope and duct tape. Says things break constantly.
I'd buy another Thor. 2.5 years, 20,000 miles. 30 foot, two ac's, auto level, tankless water heater, full body paint, etc.
By the way, not sure if it's gas prices or what, but the campground is half empty.
Wasn't cheap driving down at 10mpg, 900ish miles.
Interesting you saw what we did in the camp grounds with empty sites
One other unusual thing was the increased amount of trucks parked in overflow areas and on the ramps into and out of rest areas. Never seen so many and in every stop we passed on I70. This was during the day as we try to avoid travel at night. The overflow trucks were there from 7-10 or later

Fuel cost and job layoffs are apparently starting to be a factor
Old 06-21-2022, 08:35 PM   #303

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Ah, but Thor Motor Coach doesn’t have their fingers in the Tiffin or Jayco pies.
Maybe not TMC but Thor Industries sure does. Thor Industries is not the government, they are a profit making publicly traded business made up of many subsidiaries. You do not pay hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a failing company and then have no say in how it's run. Thor is the head of the snake and TMC, Tiffin, Jayco, Airstream, et al are the body slithering along the floor of the RV industry.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #304

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Yes. After 6 years, 44,000 miles with current Vegas I would. It has met requirements/expectations. What more could I ask for? It drives fine, does not eat tires or oil. It tows much better than old SUV did. Everything still works as needed.

All issues have been wear out type. I fix myself. The cheapo stereo and TVs still work. The 7 year old batteries are now in boat.

For entry level machine, I think it may last longer than me.
Nice..thx for the update..we hope to get where you are
Old 06-22-2022, 02:20 AM   #305

Model: 31y
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Interesting you saw what we did in the camp grounds with empty sites

One other unusual thing was the increased amount of trucks parked in overflow areas and on the ramps into and out of rest areas. Never seen so many and in every stop we passed on I70. This was during the day as we try to avoid travel at night. The overflow trucks were there from 7-10 or later

Fuel cost and job layoffs are apparently starting to be a factor
Saw the same on 95 south from SC until Miami.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:06 AM   #306

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandT View Post
I bought my Thor used and am quite happy with it although since it is 11 years old I have had nickel and dime repairs.

I am surprised to see nearly new campers with issues. We are looking to go to a class "A" and my natural question to a Thor owners is when the rubber meets the road would you buy another one or are you upset that you bought this one?

Thanks for opinions and please don't "bash" the brand. I am just looking for facts without emotions associated with one dealer or one bad incident.
2021 Aria: would buy another. Had a couple issues no big deal.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #307

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
2019 Thor Vegas 24.1

I got a great deal in the fall of 2019 and have never regretted my purchase.

I have had no major problems, but do not like the "fussy" Lippert One system. Initially, I had to have the touch screen replaced. Why can't we have switches, knobs, and less complexity?

As mentioned, I am generally happy with my Vegas, but I would not buy ANY RV at today's prices!
Old 06-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #308

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Saw the same on 95 south from SC until Miami.
KOA in Yemmassee SC was half empty all last week. A lot of overnighters. I95 thru SC is in absolutely terrible shape. Especially the RH lanes. About the same as Rt 52 from Winston Salem to Mt Airy NC.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #309

THOR #20220
Don't worry folks rv prices still going up & if we sell or upgrade no loses

Winnebago (WGO) – The recreational vehicle maker saw its stock jump 3.4% after it beat top and bottom-line estimates for its latest quarter. Winnebago earned an adjusted $4.13 per share, compared with a consensus estimate of $2.96, helped by higher prices and a jump in its gross profit margins.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #310
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Don't worry folks rv prices still going up & if we sell or upgrade no loses

Winnebago (WGO) – The recreational vehicle maker saw its stock jump 3.4% after it beat top and bottom-line estimates for its latest quarter. Winnebago earned an adjusted $4.13 per share, compared with a consensus estimate of $2.96, helped by higher prices and a jump in its gross profit margins.
Just because RV prices on a new unit are going up due to cost increases doesn’t mean you will get mor for your unit built before inflation hit.

My guess is used units will tank to almost nothing because you’re going to see too little demand for too much used supply.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #311

THOR #20220
Quote:
Just because RV prices on a new unit are going up due to cost increases doesn’t mean you will get mor for your unit built before inflation hit.

My guess is used units will tank to almost nothing because you’re going to see too little demand for too much used supply.
You COULD be correct

https://camperreport.com/will-rv-prices-go-down/
Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #312
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
You don’t need some article to point out the obvious.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #313

THOR #20220
Quote:
You don’t need some article to point out the obvious.
Sorry wasn't obvious to me

ob·vi·ous
/ˈäbvēəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:53 PM   #314

THOR #22342
Yes, I would buy another THOR product. If we could find something comparable to pre-Covid type, i think the THOR ACE was a great buy, and really use every feature on it. The 30.4 is perfect for us two, and is out of production.

I think most of us are here for the long haul. I am holding and concentrating on keeping my unit in tip top shape. Protecting my investment is proving to be a tough task, due to many factors. Mainly the lack of any quality service available, this site is invaluable for FIY folks like me, i appreciate the advice and guidance!

One main reason of continued ownership, is the ability to evacuate in case of a hurricane, we are prepared to hit the road early and return home after pwr is restored in our community, that alone, i can't put a price on...

After living in South FL after Hurricane Andrew and most recently Hurricane Matthew, i can only say, for those that stayed, it was the wrong choice. I would rather that not something to have to remember.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:23 PM   #315

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Yes, I would buy another THOR product. If we could find something comparable to pre-Covid type, i think the THOR ACE was a great buy, and really use every feature on it. The 30.4 is perfect for us two, and is out of production.

I think most of us are here for the long haul. I am holding and concentrating on keeping my unit in tip top shape. Protecting my investment is proving to be a tough task, due to many factors. Mainly the lack of any quality service available, this site is invaluable for FIY folks like me, i appreciate the advice and guidance!

One main reason of continued ownership, is the ability to evacuate in case of a hurricane, we are prepared to hit the road early and return home after pwr is restored in our community, that alone, i can't put a price on...

After living in South FL after Hurricane Andrew and most recently Hurricane Matthew, i can only say, for those that stayed, it was the wrong choice. I would rather that not something to have to remember.
I think your RV outlook depends on experience and chronological age or that is true in my case. we stated tent camping a year after we were married (1964). When our son came along, we starter renting travel trailers. When I partially retired in 1990. we bought our first Class A Winnebago. After the first year, I found I had made a mistake as the coach did fit our needs, I sold the Winne and bought a 1968 UltraVan. Which served us well for 22 years. When it became time to move into a Life Care Community, we sold the UltraVan and bought our last RV the 2016 Hurricane.
I made sure I could repair most everything on the model coach we chose, Because I believe in Occam"s Razor, the coach had to have no slide longer than 14 ft, no water on a slide, split bath with toilet on the drivers side and TV set directly across from the couch or recliners. If the bones of the coach were good, I could change out what I didn't like.

After 7 years, the coach fits out needs perfectly whether on the Interstate, crowed city street or on a country dirt road. Modern coaches have too much unnecessary complication. I much prefer a rocker switch to a touch screen, just saying.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #316

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
We bought in 2016, the last year of rocker switch Tuscany coaches

Very happy and glad we did

Luckily our coach is well built and no major issues at all
Old 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #317

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post

Good plan..I would do the same.
If not our Thor 25.6 the 30.4 is great or the small Newmar Baystar for us. During downtime see if you could find a local small independent tech. We searched and searched and found 1 in billings montana.
Now looking in Las Cruces nm.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #318

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Even though ours is new , I would consider another Thor , it has minor issues which I have taken care of most of them. Inverter issues are not what I would call Thor's fault , still minor & will let GRV take care of it , window Screens are a POS & two broke first time I used them , still not Thor's fault , just a bad design , they didn't make them .
Old 06-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #319
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Maybe not TMC but Thor Industries sure does. Thor Industries is not the government, they are a profit making publicly traded business made up of many subsidiaries. You do not pay hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a failing company and then have no say in how it's run. Thor is the head of the snake and TMC, Tiffin, Jayco, Airstream, et al are the body slithering along the floor of the RV industry.
Wow! So why did you buy a Thor: just to bitch about them?
Have you ever picked up the phone, and called Tiffin?
Everybody that I've spoken with has said the same thing: they are still able to function independently. They sold to Thor in order to take advntage of the financial stability and purchasing power of the parent company...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #320
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Wow! So why did you buy a Thor: just to bitch about them?
Have you ever picked up the phone, and called Tiffin?
Everybody that I've spoken with has said the same thing: they are still able to function independently. They sold to Thor in order to take advntage of the financial stability and purchasing power of the parent company...
Exactly and the same for Jayco. The crap comes out of TMC.

I will say the 2015 Challenger we had, with the exception of a missing bulb seal and two bad Axxerra radios was a very well built coach and very high quality for the price paid.

I would definitely consider a Thor Motorhome with one condition. There cannot be any slides greater than 13 feet. Triple slides under 10 or 12 feet would be best.