Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #321
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We actually looked over a Tellaro 20A (?), and found it's features to be workable for us.
It's being kind of considered...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:19 AM   #322

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We actually looked over a Tellaro 20A (?), and found it's features to be workable for us.
It's being kind of considered...

Seriously? Thot you were a lifetime SOB!
Old 06-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #323

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
The abbreviation game! What does SOB stand for?
Old 06-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #324

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Some Other Brand
Old 06-24-2022, 03:21 PM   #325

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I think the lippert schwintek slide system, which they say can handle a heavy full wall slide, is really hurting all of the rv manufacturers, it sounds like the VROOM slide system is a direct replacement and properly engineered. So it's not a thor problem. We have a 2019 challenger and are extremely happy with thor, but think the schwintek system should not be used for large heavy slides,as has been said. Like everything in these rv's it's a balancing act with the individual parts,$$ vs weight. Personally if they go cheap on something I can upgrade later easily, I'm fine with that but something like a full wall slide system, that's a very large inconvenience and can end a trip. I can work arounda failed AC,water heater, stove even a refrigerator but when that fullwall slide is stuck out and we have to be out of the campgroundan by 11am and 10am slide won't move, we'll it's bad.. Hopefully the manufacturers are taking notice of VROOM system and going to upgrade their products.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #326

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I think the lippert schwintek slide system, which they say can handle a heavy full wall slide, is really hurting all of the rv manufacturers, it sounds like the VROOM slide system is a direct replacement and properly engineered. So it's not a thor problem.[ snip].
One of the problems with using heaver but simpler in-floor slide is the attachment of the in-floor slide systems. I spent considerable time at the Entegra factory looking at the Spartans chassis that they use. The K-1 is the shortest and lightest with a 42,000 lb GCWR. Compare that with the heaviest F-53 of 30,000 lbs GCWR. MORryde adds about 2,500 lbs of steel to build a K-1 perimeter frame to support the areas under the slides. Unlike the F-53 chassis where there is a solid floor to mount the Schwintek's rollers on, the K-1 only has steel skeleton supporting the track is under the slide. Because of this, the original Spartan frame is X braced to increase torsional rigidity. Thus the Spartan perimeter is more of a bridge truss as opposed to the compartment hangers MORryde adds to the F-53 which adds about 300 lbs to a 34 ft chassis. Entegra feels all this frame strengthening is necessary to carry the load of their house and four slides. I understand for the longer and more powerful K3 chassis MORryde adds over 7,000 lbs of steel to the 21,000 lb Spartan chassis. This type of bracing cannot be installed a front engine chassis because of the drive shaft. No wonder the coach weighs in access of 53,000 lbs empty.
It would be interesting to see the chassis mods to Freightliner's FRED super C chassis to handle the heavier slides.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #327

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
The schwintek is not an in floor system, it's an in wall system. Anyway back to the question yes I would buy another Thor.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #328

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
The Schwintek is not an in floor system, it's an in wall system. Anyway back to the question yes I would buy another Thor.
I totally agree but there are rollers under the slide attached to the floor that totally support the side. The In-Wall tracks and gear assembly do not support the slide like the In-Floor design does. There in lies the problem with a heavy slide. The Schwintek system is made to support the slide at the center of gravity when the slide is nearly out. With a fridge on a slide and that cannot happen. Put a dinette on a slide and its easy to balance the slide room. Second problem, in an In-floor design there is a square steel axle shaft the connect all the gears that move the slide, so it cannot get out of synchronization, There can be number any ball-bearing tracks and the number is dependent on the weight of the slide.

The In-wall slide depend on a computer controlled voltage supplied to the individual motors of the slide to keep the slide's sides in synchronization. At best, it kludgy as stepping motors are not used.
The Schwintek In-wall slide design is well thought out and engineered but only for 14 ft or less long and 24 inch deep (or less) with weight centered on the slide's floor. There can be any number of rollers per slide (length and weight are the determine factors in the number). Schwintek engineered the system to put the rollers at the center of gravity of the slide on the bottom of the slide and roll across the floor. That did not work well as the floor covering would not support the load of a heavy slide. Finally the rollers must be a very small diameter to fit under the slide's floor and the coach's floor. This is not ideal.

The difference with the Vroom is its track system is engineered to support the extra loads the rollers on the floor cannot. This is important when most of the slides weight is against the wall.
The forgoing is my opinion alone as a graduate professional engineer (retired).
You can blame Schwintek for a poor design if you desire or even Thor MC for using using the In-wall system improperly, but would you be willing to spent the money for a heavier coach with trouble free slides and with a bigger engine? If so I recommend the Entegra Reatta. It is a beautiful coach with In-floor slides. Base list is just over $400,000 for the 37 ft model. Yes I know it is a Thor Industries product but it has a two year warranty. Besides Entegra has a wonderful customer service center just across from the factory, The center has 22 full hookups and great coffee. We parked the Hurricane there in 2019 when we spent the day with Todd Hahn
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:02 PM   #329

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Offered as an option, less than 1% would pay the additional cost.
Offered as as standard, more than 99% would complain about the additional cost.

There isn't a single thing that can't be added at the time of purchase from toilet paper holder upgrades to JATO rockets.

You knew what you bought or you didn't.

We here can't make you smart. We can only tell you what smart people do.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:00 PM   #330

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
I'm happy with ours. Does what it's supposed to do and comfortable. The nickel and dime stuff has been there with both of our motor homes (the last being a Georgie Boy), and to me is expected, just like taking care of my brick home, always something that needs attention. :-)
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #331

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I totally agree but there are rollers under the slide attached to the floor that totally support the side. The In-Wall tracks and gear assembly do not support the slide like the In-Floor design does. There in lies the problem with a heavy slide. The Schwintek system is made to support the slide at the center of gravity when the slide is nearly out. With a fridge on a slide and that cannot happen. Put a dinette on a slide and its easy to balance the slide room. Second problem, in an In-floor design there is a square steel axle shaft the connect all the gears that move the slide, so it cannot get out of synchronization, There can be number any ball-bearing tracks and the number is dependent on the weight of the slide.

The In-wall slide depend on a computer controlled voltage supplied to the individual motors of the slide to keep the slide's sides in synchronization. At best, it kludgy as stepping motors are not used.
The Schwintek In-wall slide design is well thought out and engineered but only for 14 ft or less long and 24 inch deep (or less) with weight centered on the slide's floor. There can be any number of rollers per slide (length and weight are the determine factors in the number). Schwintek engineered the system to put the rollers at the center of gravity of the slide on the bottom of the slide and roll across the floor. That did not work well as the floor covering would not support the load of a heavy slide. Finally the rollers must be a very small diameter to fit under the slide's floor and the coach's floor. This is not ideal.

The difference with the Vroom is its track system is engineered to support the extra loads the rollers on the floor cannot. This is important when most of the slides weight is against the wall.
The forgoing is my opinion alone as a graduate professional engineer (retired).
You can blame Schwintek for a poor design if you desire or even Thor MC for using using the In-wall system improperly, but would you be willing to spent the money for a heavier coach with trouble free slides and with a bigger engine? If so I recommend the Entegra Reatta. It is a beautiful coach with In-floor slides. Base list is just over $400,000 for the 37 ft model. Yes I know it is a Thor Industries product but it has a two year warranty. Besides Entegra has a wonderful customer service center just across from the factory, The center has 22 full hookups and great coffee. We parked the Hurricane there in 2019 when we spent the day with Todd Hahn
Holy Crap! Thanks for the expert education.
I have read these slide posts for a while and not clear
Old 06-24-2022, 11:45 PM   #332

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
I'm happy with ours. Does what it's supposed to do and comfortable. The nickel and dime stuff has been there with both of our motor homes (the last being a Georgie Boy), and to me is expected, just like taking care of my brick home, always something that needs attention. :-)
Yes I learned here a mh needs to checked before each trip and items addressed like a home.
My nephew & brother in law are lax with these things.
Brother in laws mh have water pouring from the bottom on left or right turns, leaking in kitchen, bedroom awing cover needs a latter to manually roll. Big screws came from under slide NONE ADDRESSED YET.

My nephew does ZERO HOUSE MAINTENANCE AND THERE IS A BLUE TARP ON THE ROOF IN MONTANA FOR 2 YEARS
Old 06-25-2022, 12:21 AM   #333

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
All manufacturers in this price range will be like a Thor. Pay 6 hundred thousand or more and it will be built better
Old 06-25-2022, 02:37 AM   #334
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Look up https://www.allacronyms.com/rv/abbreviations/2 for most used RV abbreviations.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:54 AM   #335
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Look up https://www.allacronyms.com/rv/abbreviations/2 for most used RV abbreviations.
SOB is not included in their list.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #336

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I think its a matter of finding anyone out there to do the easiest repair. Those days are far gone. If you can't fix it yourself, good luck with that...I've been chasing a tire leak problem for over a yr. No one seems to be able to diagnosis and fix
Did you spray leak detector or soapy water all around the rim on both sides and the complete valve stem area. If you need to spray the tire one foot at a time and look for bubbles. Sometimes the hole or piece of what ever it is might be just below the surface of the tread where you can't see a shiny piece of metal. Or take it to a gas station Truck repair at the back of the truck stop. We have two by the house and one rv truck repair on the far side of town. My old suv needs one tire a year deflated buffed and sealer put around the rim every few years
Old 06-25-2022, 09:52 PM   #337

THOR #20274
Hope your leak is gone
Old 06-27-2022, 05:19 AM   #338

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Kind of like Us...
Our "SOB" is sometimes called a Foretravel.. other times just the "Shack"
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #339

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Well thank you. Now I can play the game!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:57 AM   #340

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
SOB is not included in their list.
You’ve got to drill about 8 pages in. Some other brand