Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2019, 12:41 AM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Be thankful you didn't buy an Axis...

Old 11-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #142

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We got a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and are very content. The Ford chassis combination of e450/6 spd has performed flawlessly. The Thor part, Moryde chassis mods and house function as expected. I would still buy from Thor again. I do read all the negatives but also see by the performance of our unit that the overall combination of size, cargo capacity and towing capacity is tough to get at this price point.

We use the unit at least once every 2 weeks and frequently more often. We live in it for multiday trips and at race track. This thing does take a beating between us, the kids and my buddies. Rubber, grease and dirty feet along with dog means cleaning is a constant. We face replacing batteries soon as they are now 5 years old, awning fabric starting to separate after 5 years in florida sun and new tires are due soon, not from wear just age. I do not consider this anything more than normal wear.

The only handling adjustment was a reflex damper and set tire pressure to weight. I did not need to get it aligned as handling and tire wear point to no issue there. Once the original crown wore off front tires it handles fine up to 80 MPH with or without trailer. Fuel millage is steady at 9 to 11, with or without trailer.

I may have considered an MB or GM based unit if anyone made something that fit our requirements but short of a much larger unit, there was nothing.

Thor has done fine with us. I also realize that to achieve the same overall level of quality as my SUV would likely meant it would cost at least twice as much.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #143

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Wow there are certainly some highly motivated posters in here the past few days!
GVP
Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #144

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Short answer to the question, 'would we buy another Thor'? NO and for all the reasons mentioned in the above posts...primarily the lack of QC, quality control, on Thor's part. Compounding this issue is their use of cheap and low quality components.
On a somewhat related issue, we've decided that RV'ing today just isn't for us any more. We've RV'd for over 40 years and enjoyed most of those years. Had everything from tents, to pop-ups, to various trailers and class B's, C's & A's. Only type camper we've never had is a 5th wheel. However, today, with the increased popularity of RV's, has come problems. We spent most of August on a motor home trip from FL to Canada and back, covering over 4700 miles. After this trip, we've come to the conclusion that, at least for us, RV'ing just isn't what it used to be. Getting reservations at popular locations, the absence of 'manners' and campground edicut by many of today's RV'ers, ever increasing expenses, for both campground fees and needed repairs. And, at least in our experience, what seems to be an ever growing population today of homeless persons living in many state and national parks, many of whom, like other homeless populations, appear to have serious mental issues. Now being in our 70's has a lot to do with our feelings on the entire RV'ing issue. So, after what will be our last extended long distance road trip, we've decided that from now on, we'll fly to our destination, rent a car and stay in hotels/motels. From an economic perspective, its actually cheaper, because you don't have tens of thousands of dollars invested in and/or monthly payments on a constantly depreciating vehicle, that requires constant upkeep and maintenance. That's it from our perspective.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #145

THOR #5313
I can see where market saturation would dampen the fun. Since we spend more nights at tracks than campgrounds, frustration levels with campground reservations has not been issue. Even at Fort Wilderness, reservations require planng.

Operating cost is going to go up with time, everything else does. We have had benefit of not needing to pay dealer for work. Maintenance of unit is simple, change oil, filter and grease every 4000 to 5000 miles. Check tire pressures every week or 10 days unless long road trip. Quarterly check/ tighten all electric/fixtures/hitch mounts.

I noticed sealant showing cracks on roof during quarterly roof inspection in spring. Was simple task to reseal. Shame to have to replace tires but 5 years is what I feel safe limit. I replace trailer tires every 4 years.

RVing is evolving like everything else. We have benefit of alternative use for RV that keeps it attractive. In 3-1/2 years we have only stopped fridge once to defrost. If unit has to sit 3 to 6 months at a time or I had to pay to store it, we would not have bought. At very least it serves as moble hotel room at both our houses and track. Us the dog loves it, always ready for a trip.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #146
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Wow there are certainly some highly motivated posters in here the past few days!
GVP
Yup... Folks get more animated over things; when their wallets are involved.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #147

THOR #5313
I brought wife to NC to visit friends. Is mini vacation for us. I get to relax and not look at all the stuff I should be doing. Was nice, was 74 when we went to bed. At 5 am heat went on (set at 62). Currently 37.

Bob, I hope all goes well with you and your Mrs. I also hope you enjoy your trip to Fort Wilderness as well. We go Jan and March unless I can get reservation for early Dec.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #148
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
When they have the place decorated for the Holidays: they take "Magic" to a whole new level...
Old 11-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #149

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post

......cut..... From an economic perspective, its actually cheaper, because you don't have tens of thousands of dollars invested in and/or monthly payments on a constantly depreciating vehicle, that requires constant upkeep and maintenance. That's it from our perspective.

Yeah, and if you ever get the bug, you can always rent one to get it out of your system for a while.

We like flexibility, which is one reason we have a van that also serves as a second vehicle, requires no special maintenance, and doesn’t have to be parked off-site. We can travel comfortably, do very basic camping in it, mix camping and hotels as we feel, rent and pull small camping trailer with it, or rent a large motorhome if wanting to travel with family.

Ownership of larger motorhomes makes a lot of financial sense if you use it often and need the space, but the hassles and expense are not necessary in order to enjoy the lifestyle on an occasional basis.

Good luck in future travels.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #150
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
No doubt: there's more than one way to skin this cat!
I suppose that it all depends upon your anticipated level of "commitment" to this pastime...
Old 11-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #151

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I like my windsport 29M, but I think my next coach will be a Tiffin Allegro 32
Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #152

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
I believe that with any purchase, if you go in biased, you'll see what you expected to see. If you buy, thinking Thor has terrible QC, then every little wrong thing you see will make you say, "SEE? I told ya!" For the price point, I have been extremely satisfied. Are there places where more care could have been exercised? Without question. I've also had brand-new Audis, Fords, etc., and saw things that made me scratch my head. We're almost 7,000 miles in and heading out for another three thousand on Monday and couldn't be happier. Would that new Leisure Unity have made me happier with that built in bike tray and drop through to the basement storage? Heck yeah, but I paid about 75k, not 125k. I can live with the faults that I have found and the ones that I know will come up. I'm seeing America and I'm having a blast.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #153

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am on my 2nd RV. I now have a Thor. My first one was another manufacturer. As most have said, it is finding the right dealership. I had very few minor issues with my Thor and would buy another Thor coach. Compared to my first experience with the other brand and dealership, Thor was the way to go both in customer service and product line.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #154

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
In the 70’s as a young man I turned wrenches for a Chrysler/ Plymouth dealer. You want to talk no QC the Chrysler New Yorker one of the top dollar cars they sold at the time came from the factory as a piece of crap.
You opened the car doors and they damn near fell off, radios didn’t work, Electric windows wouldn’t work, car wouldn’t track straight down the road, tires would vibrate your teeth out, trim fell off etc. etc.
But by the time that car went out the showroom door the end customer would never know that it ever had any issues. That’s what a good dealer does. It’s called dealer prep.
We have had several coaches over the years, this is our first Thor. Short answer is yes we would buy another Thor from our “local” dealer. We bought a floor plan that fits us. Thor and several mfgrs make the same floor plan with pretty much the same components. If our dealer had that floor plan in SOB we would prolly be driving that. One thing we won’t do is purchase from an RV superstore. Buying from a smaller local dealer may cost a bit more on the front end but good service IMHO
Is worth the extra green. Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 AM   #155

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Would I buy another Thor product? Absolutely
Old 11-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #156

State: North Carolina
THOR #7155
Would I purchase another Thor?

Yes I would buy another Thor. I did learn that it is all about the dealer though. I purchased from a Camper World near Fort Bragg NC. They are quick to sell, saying that they are slow on maintenance and follow up would be a compliment. The slides seem to be the weak point for the Freedom Elite. The same slide had to be repaired two years in a row after trips in 2017, and 2018. If you buy the insurance you still get a crazy large bill to replace a $100. Part. They disguise it as misc and shipping. I had to pay a $500. Plus bill for misc and shipping fromThor? When you call the Thor number , they call back and defend the sorry service from the dealer. However when I traveled to the dealer near Greensboro NC they gave me an estimate, time and price. It was completed on time and no misc charges. They even noticed an issue with my main awning, repaired it at no cost to me! They found a recall and called me to schedule the appointment. I travel the 90 miles for the great service. Pick your dealer based on service.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #157
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I like my windsport 29M, but I think my next coach will be a Tiffin Allegro 32
Old 11-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #158

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
My next one will have six grab handles, three on each side.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #159

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It took me a while, but I have found the key element of the argument against Thor:

Those people in this thread who are vehemently against Thor, will be vehemently against the manufacturer of there next brand MotorHome and the next.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #160
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It took me a while, but I have found the key element of the argument against Thor:

Those people in this thread who are vehemently against Thor, will be vehemently against the manufacturer of there next brand MotorHome and the next.
Amen...

There will always be folks out there who would be mad... even if you hung them with a brand-new rope...