Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Does the Tow Truck come as standard equipment with that model?
The fastest my RV ever been was behind that tow rig, dude was going 80 to 85, was craping my pants in the passenger seat! ha

Old 08-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #202
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
The fastest my RV ever been was behind that tow rig, dude was going 80 to 85, was craping my pants in the passenger seat! ha
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1598642249
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEE2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	25836  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #203

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamcc View Post
We purchased a 2019 one owner low mileage 24 ft Thor Synergy in July and have been surprised at the fairly poor construction quality of this coach. The slide leaks (we think we have just fixed it), things are not as tight as we believe they should be, a drawer slide broke off without much strain from us, we have had a real learning curve with the instant how water heater and showers but think we have finally figured that out (cannot use city water, need the pump and a specific pressure), the coach comes with 3 TVs (in 24 ft, really?) but they are crappy and the one in the bedroom gets a terrible picture if you turn on the fan in there, the radio at the dash is less that desirable in an age of electronics and we will replace it along with the backup camera, BUT last night we were organizing the storage in the back of the coach when we found the screws holding hinges and handles protrude into the storage compartment like daggers. Some of my earlier listed grievenaces I probably should have found prior to purchase, but THESE I never would have seen. Is this a method of good RV construction that I have not seen before? We will keep the coach at least for awhile and try to fix some of the problems. But where is the quality of work??
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/im...attach/jpg.gif
Yes. Unfortunately almost all the coaches under $200,000 have issues with construction. Sometimes it looks like a dumb kid put something together and that's because sometimes they did. Thor along with the few other builders all have qualified labor issues. They don't pay high wages so they don't get highly skilled employees.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #204

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Yes. Unfortunately almost all the coaches under $200,000 have issues with construction. Sometimes it looks like a dumb kid put something together and that's because sometimes they did. Thor along with the few other builders all have qualified labor issues. They don't pay high wages so they don't get highly skilled employees.
But for those of us that have own several RVs over several decades, most of us have experienced build improvements.

Like has been said many times on this Forum...today’s middle/low-end RVs are like a Kit. Repairs and mods need to be done to correct the below avg build and make it like an RV that’s $200k or more.

That said, check out other RV websites and You’ll see the same complaints for $500k custom RVs.

I like my Thor, it’s what I expected.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #205

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I think you're 100% right on your comments

The high end coach owners are seldom on the forums however even they have som issues

If RV assembly workers made the same salary as auto workers RV's would be significantly higher priced

When my Aquahot coil failed my Tuscany was the only Thor in a large repair facility that caters to busses

I don't foresee a lot of changes but we certainly have a lot more features and comfort than my first camper back in 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
But for those of us that have own several RVs over several decades, most of us have experienced build improvements.

Like has been said many times on this Forum...today’s middle/low-end RVs are like a Kit. Repairs and mods need to be done to correct the below avg build and make it like an RV that’s $200k or more.

That said, check out other RV websites and You’ll see the same complaints for $500k custom RVs.

I like my Thor, it’s what I expected.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #206

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
We are very happy with our Freedom Elite. We previously owned a Class C Itasca Spirit and were hoping to replace it with another Itasca or Minnie Winnie. We also considered Jayco, all good motorhomes but we really liked the Freedom Elite 28H floorplan, so bit the bullet and bought it May 2015. For us it came down to the floorplan and we felt Thor was a good product after endless research. Nothing is perfect but we have had minimal problems. The biggest PITA was the Axxerra radio which we replaced six months ago.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #207

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Higher auto workers union wages gets you a f350 super duty for $85 grand,try living in that.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #208

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Higher auto workers union wages gets you a f350 super duty for $85 grand,try living in that.
Plus you need a supervisor for every two people. 😂
Old 08-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #209

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Thor BABY!!
Thor had absolutely nothing to do with the chassis other than building on top of it, so if it doesn't run or any other chassis related issue cuss FORD or whomever the chassis was built by.
Just Beau388 stated the factory manufacturers next to nothing on these things rather they just assemble parts manufactured by several different companies.
I agree some of their assembly methods are severely lacking in skill or just plain "I don't care" attitudes. Some is the rv industries demand to get XX number of units out the door daily then go home construction method.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #210

State: Florida
THOR #4124
I am very disappointed with Thor. Last year my 2015 vegas had a major electrical failure.
The rv has been in the repair shop since November of last year.
The only thing lacking is a circuit board or two.
The dealers are hoarding parts and Thor doesn't appear to be much help.
The wife and I aren't getting any younger.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:24 PM   #211

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I am very disappointed with Thor. Last year my 2015 vegas had a major electrical failure.
The rv has been in the repair shop since November of last year.
The only thing lacking is a circuit board or two.
The dealers are hoarding parts and Thor doesn't appear to be much help.
The wife and I aren't getting any younger.
On A 2015 the only MAJOR ELECTRICAL would be engine/chassis Computer and NOTHING else.
There isn't an electrical Anything on a 2015 that any three normally educated car hobbiests couldn't fix in four hours.

The end.

Something else is wrong or your shop is a thief.

Find out what's exactly wrong, post it here, and see how we fix it for you in less than four posts. It might not win any restoration awards but it'll be working.

This is a
you being gullible and your shop being worthless problem,
not a Thor problem.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #212
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Thor had absolutely nothing to do with the chassis other than building on top of it, so if it doesn't run or any other chassis related issue cuss FORD or whomever the chassis was built by.
Just Beau388 stated the factory manufacturers next to nothing on these things rather they just assemble parts manufactured by several different companies.
I agree some of their assembly methods are severely lacking in skill or just plain "I don't care" attitudes. Some is the rv industries demand to get XX number of units out the door daily then go home construction method.
I've got to agree with everything contained in Tv's post!.
Unless Thor is buying components that they know are defective (in order to get a cheaper price); I can only fault their non-existent quality control people, and the McDonald's workers on the assembly lines.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #213

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
On A 2015 the only MAJOR ELECTRICAL would be engine/chassis Computer and NOTHING else.
There isn't an electrical Anything on a 2015 that any three normally educated car hobbiests couldn't fix in four hours.

The end.

Something else is wrong or your shop is a thief.

Find out what's exactly wrong, post it here, and see how we fix it for you in less than four posts. It might not win any restoration awards but it'll be working.

This is a
you being gullible and your shop being worthless problem,
not a Thor problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #214

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I sure as the dickens wouldn’t leave my coach at “the shop” for 10 months! Whatever it is that broke can be fixed in a day or two. There are parts shortages right now due to COVID related business shutdowns but they aren’t 10 months shortages. Get it to another shop or, as mentioned above discuss it here and we’ll get you back on the road.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:37 AM   #215

THOR #14070
Would You buy another Thor?

I can’t stand to read all the comments here, so I’ll just say my peace here.

Have you seen the videos on YouTube of the factory? It looks like they pay the workers in meth. These vehicles are slapped together as fast as humanly possible. There’s no way they have any quality control. They don’t have time to go get the right length screw; if they run out of ¼” zips and have 1” in their pocket, then 1” screws go in. If they stick out like daggers, oh well. If they screw into a pipe, oh well. Look at the edge of any wood panel that’s cut. It looks like it was cut with a dull lawnmower blade. Gaps are everywhere. Things are creaking and shaking or barely hanging on. Electronics are a joke. It’s the absolute cheapest materials bubble-gummed together at lightning speed. Warranty? Good luck. You’re better off learning some trades and going at it yourself.

I don’t plan to buy another Thor. Or any other RV unless I absolutely have to, because I’ve got my kinks worked out, mostly, and I don’t want to start all over with the headaches on a new $120K rig.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #216
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If I Was buying another RV: I would look at Thor... VERY closely!!
Once you've seen what can go wrong: it's easier to know what to look for.
I have to believe that the build quality shortcomings will be addressed.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #217

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Look around and check out the available high-quality skilled labor pool that is available for any job

We have a huge problem and companies are struggling with that

A large portion of the blame goes to the parents or lack of

Building anything requires hard work, skill and accountability

I think a huge portion of the QA problem goes right along with the no loosers tought at little league and trophies for all participants

Government policies make it difficult for any less than 18 to be hired

Then we take their X box and smart phone wireless ear buds and put them in a working environment and expect results

Not just a Thor issue
Old 08-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #218
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I can agree that this issue was not created by Thor.
But they do have to find an effective way to deal with it.
Whether it's through more effective training and orientation programs; or performance based compensation: that's for them to sort out.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #219

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
I can’t stand to read all the comments here, so I’ll just say my peace here.

Have you seen the videos on YouTube of the factory? It looks like they pay the workers in meth. These vehicles are slapped together as fast as humanly possible. There’s no way they have any quality control. They don’t have time to go get the right length screw; if they run out of ¼” zips and have 1” in their pocket, then 1” screws go in. If they stick out like daggers, oh well. If they screw into a pipe, oh well. Look at the edge of any wood panel that’s cut. It looks like it was cut with a dull lawnmower blade. Gaps are everywhere. Things are creaking and shaking or barely hanging on. Electronics are a joke. It’s the absolute cheapest materials bubble-gummed together at lightning speed. Warranty? Good luck. You’re better off learning some trades and going at it yourself.

I don’t plan to buy another Thor. Or any other RV unless I absolutely have to, because I’ve got my kinks worked out, mostly, and I don’t want to start all over with the headaches on a new $120K rig.
We have not had many issues with our Thor Vegas in 10 months and 9,000 miles-no serious problems, just design concerns. Things like lack of noise/heat insulation, low quality furniture, mediocre cabinetry, etc. Some of these are to be expected at tis price point. We are generally happy with the floor plan and overall size of the coach. The Ford chassis has been flawless.

That said, I would not buy another RV of any kind. Now that I just about have our Vegas the way we like, I wouldn't take the risk to buy another! The level of build quality and inspection in the RV industry is minimal no matter how much one spends! Friends that have much more expensive brands have problems as well.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #220

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Look around and check out the available high-quality skilled labor pool that is available for any job

We have a huge problem and companies are struggling with that

A large portion of the blame goes to the parents or lack of

Building anything requires hard work, skill and accountability

I think a huge portion of the QA problem goes right along with the no loosers tought at little league and trophies for all participants

Government policies make it difficult for any less than 18 to be hired

Then we take their X box and smart phone wireless ear buds and put them in a working environment and expect results

Not just a Thor issue
Its why companies are rushing towards robotics and IA.