Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Xantrex 1800 Burnt Up

While camping over Labor Day my Inverter started beeping and threw the 05 error code. I tried all the reset possibilities and when I opened the compartment housing the inverter I could see smoke and smell it as well.

I usually run the genny as needed for the air conditioner which is enough to keep the batteries charged and then shut it off. Without the inverter operating I had the keep the genny running 24/7 to operate the refrigerator.

I assume the inverter is shot and plan to replace it. All of the inverters I've looked at have a display/control panel on the inverter itself. Since mine has a display inside the coach (not on the inverter), is it an easy swap out? I haven't removed the inverter yet...maybe that will be self evident once I take it out.

My coach is 2016 Miramar with 4-6 volt batteries in good condition. The inverter is Xantrex 1800. Any advice on replacing it would be appreciated.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Inverters can and do fail over time depending on usage, heat, etc.

The easiest thing for you to do is to purchase the same Xantrex inverter and it will be an easy sway. You will only need to move the wiring from the old inverter to the new inverter and you can continue to use the remote panel in the coach if it is still functioning ok.

If you were happy with being able to run your fridge and maybe a TV off the inverter and don't plan on upgrading your batteries to lithium down the road, I would just get the same model and swap it out.

You could get "fancy" and buy a bigger Xantrex inverter, replace you 6V batteries with Lithium and rewire your coach so you can run anything but it doesn't sound like you need to if your current setup is meeting your needs.

I upgraded to a Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter / Charger, added 850Ah of lithium batteries and rewired the coach so I can run an A/C unit, microwave, etc. off the inverter.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You need to change the inverters you are looking at. You need one with an internal ATS - most of those come with a remote ON/OFF switch at least, some with a remote display. I have no display on my 1000 watt PSW inverter but I do have both AC and DC current/voltage monitors installed on my RV. As Judge said - the easiest solution for you would be a Xantrex replacement whether it's a direct 1800 or you upgrade to say a 3000.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

THOR #4488
Thanks guys. I was hoping for good experienced replies. Yes my current set up meets my needs so I will plan on just swapping out the old for the new. I have to say when I opened that compartment door and was hit with the smell and smoke, I was a little more than nervous. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Thanks guys. I was hoping for good experienced replies. Yes my current set up meets my needs so I will plan on just swapping out the old for the new. I have to say when I opened that compartment door and was hit with the smell and smoke, I was a little more than nervous. Thanks.

The smell of burnt electrical components is very pronounced! I would say it is 99% certain it is fried and needs replaced and it does happen. Many people on the forum have had it happen to them.

If you purchase the exact same model, you can have it swapped out in 30 - 60 minutes depending on access to the working area. Just make sure you do the following before starting:

- Make sure you turn off the AC power to the inverter input. Easiest way is flip the breaker off or just remove all shore / generator power to the coach. If you have a meter, check to make sure you don't have ~110V to the inverter input if you want to be sure the AC power is off.

- You want to remove all battery power to the Inverter as well. You will either have a Bussman Breaker or fuse that is on the positive cable from the inverter to the house batteries. Either trip the breaker if you can easily find it. If not, then just remove the ground / negative cable from the house battery post to the inverter first and then remove the positive cable from the house battery post to the inverter next. If you have a meter, check to make sure you don't have ~12V to the inverter if you want to be sure the DC power is off.

- Then just make sure you move the wiring from the old inverter to the new one so each wire goes to the same terminal / location in the new inverter. Take pictures of everything before you start as well as some notes.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #6

THOR #4488
Judge, thanks for the added detail. I'll order the replacement and post again once completed.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
just my two cents.

Anybody thinking of replacing inverter with a larger one, must include the cost of increasing the 12 volt cables to a larger gauge.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:18 AM   #8

THOR #12751
Xantrex 1800 Burnt Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
just my two cents.

Anybody thinking of replacing inverter with a larger one, must include the cost of increasing the 12 volt cables to a larger gauge.

While your statement is accurate….. if you think Thor wires the inverters properly, that is far from accurate in many cases.

I had an Outlaw 29H with a Xantrex 1000W inverter. The inverter was installed in the rear of the coach in an outside storage bin. The length of the run was about 15’ and they didn’t use the proper gauge wire for a run of that length. Besides that Xantrex recommends less than a 5’ run in most cases. They also ran the negative cable to chassis ground and not directly to the battery, which is also incorrect.

When I upgraded the inverter in my SV34 to the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter / Charger, I found that Thor coiled up about 10’ feet of cable in a space in the chassis under the floor. They could have easily made it a 4’ or 5’ run. For a company trying to cut costs at every turn to make the cheapest RV possible, they waisted a lot of money in copper with that installation.

I’m sure that there are many Thor coaches out there with the Inverter incorrectly wired. Every Thor coach should have a subpanel with a breaker on the inverter oututput circuit and I have yet to see one wired that way. So if a short develops on the inverter output circuit, it will fry the inverter without a breaker to trip.

I did a 4’ run with the proper sizing when I did my upgrade and rewired my coach to use the Inverter for any circuit. I also added the subpanel on the inverter output circuit.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
All good advice so far. As for the control in the coach that is actually attached on the inverter when it comes from the factory. Instructions show you how to remove it and replace your current meter. If you look at your old inverter you will see a blank plate on the front where the control panel was.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:47 PM   #10

THOR #4488
Just a quick update...I ordered the new Xantrax 1800 Pro...it should arrive mid to late September. It seems, like everything else, particularly electronics, it is in short supply. It's not a necessity, just a nicety since I'm not planning on any more long trips this year. I guess if it had to go out this was a good time.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #11

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Does anyone know if the cooling fan on theses units, make a prominent noise. While you are using the inverter.

If the fan fails will the inverter get too hot and fail?

Are the fans replaceable?

Newbe question.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Xantrex 1800 Burnt Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Does anyone know if the cooling fan on theses units, make a prominent noise. While you are using the inverter.

If the fan fails will the inverter get too hot and fail?

Are the fans replaceable?

Newbe question.

Thanks

Yes…. When the inverter is supplying power, the cooling fan(s) kicks on. It does make noise moving enogh air yo cool the unit.

If the fan fails and the unit gets hot, the first step is for it to derate itself and provide less power. Then if it overheats, it should shut down. Prolonged use this way will shorten its life amd eventually lead to a failure.

The fan(s) could be replaced. I suspect they are a standard size and CFM rating. But they are likely soldered to the main board so you woukd need to either do some solderinf or cut the old fan wires and splice in a new fan.

I have a large 3000W inverter / charger and the cooling fans run when charging the batteries or supplying power and they make a pronounced noise.