Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT driver seat loose

My driver's seat loosened up last year, allowing it to rock back and forth on the mounting post. It gradually got worse so I had Freightliner take a look at it when I took the coach in for its 15K service. They tightened something up and fixed the problem, but didn't provide a lot of detail. I recall them saying something about a pin or locking ring missing and that it would probably loosen up again. Well, it has been six months and the seat is now rocking back and forth again.

My question for The Forum is has anyone else experienced this problem and how did they resolve it? Is there a locking pin or a split ring retainer on the top of the mounting post?

I have been trying to get information from the manufacturer but without results so far. It would be nice to see what the mounting assembly actually looks like and how it is supposed to be put together.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Your seat many be different than mine, but when I changed out a seat post the chair was held down with four bolts. The bolts came through the chair frame and into the post frame. The post frame does the turning of the chair and the chair frame does the front to back. I would check the bolts holding the chair to the post.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

THOR #5822
2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT driver seat loose (cont'd)

The attached file was sent to me by Thor. They referred me to another manufacturer who actually provided the seats. That has not been productive so far.

This file contains two drawings that show the basic seat mount to the chassis and the seat pedestal itself. Neither drawing provides a lot of detail (my seat is electrically adjustable and there is no indication of that type of mechanism in these drawings).

The seat pedestal appears to have a large nut on top of the seat post. This would be the part that I suspect has loosened up again, allowing the seat to rock back and forth (there is only a small amount of movement, so don't misunderstand my terms "rock back and forth"). The movement is just enough to annoy the driver and create some concern about the integrity of the seat mount.

Anyway, what I am hoping to obtain is more detail about the fastener on top of the seat post, what it is, what size it is, and whether or not there is supposed to be a snap ring or clevis pin or something that is supposed to prevent the nut from loosening up.

I don't have easy access to the motorhome (because it is stored 100 miles away, in Elkhart Indiana) so I cannot tinker with it to find out exactly what parts I might need.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thor Driver Seat Mount 201806121600.pdf (92.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
The attached file was sent to me by Thor. They referred me to another manufacturer who actually provided the seats. That has not been productive so far.

This file contains two drawings that show the basic seat mount to the chassis and the seat pedestal itself. Neither drawing provides a lot of detail (my seat is electrically adjustable and there is no indication of that type of mechanism in these drawings).

The seat pedestal appears to have a large nut on top of the seat post. This would be the part that I suspect has loosened up again, allowing the seat to rock back and forth (there is only a small amount of movement, so don't misunderstand my terms "rock back and forth"). The movement is just enough to annoy the driver and create some concern about the integrity of the seat mount.

Anyway, what I am hoping to obtain is more detail about the fastener on top of the seat post, what it is, what size it is, and whether or not there is supposed to be a snap ring or clevis pin or something that is supposed to prevent the nut from loosening up.

I don't have easy access to the motorhome (because it is stored 100 miles away, in Elkhart Indiana) so I cannot tinker with it to find out exactly what parts I might need.

Last year our passenger captain’s chair in our Axis 25.2 began rocking. Upon inspection I found the undersized cotter pin that locked the nut in place had been chewed up by the nut because the bolt was too long. See the attached pictures. Since I didn’t have a shorter bolt, I added a washer so the hole in the bolt matched the nut when properly tightened. I then locked the nut in place with the correct size cotter pin. My guess is you will find a similar nut locking problem when you can get to your motor home.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05BB8DBE-25A2-42DD-AAC2-689242B7DF22.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10847   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D869583-346C-4E87-A3B1-2AC1C423DB43.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	10848  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDD38529-3784-47E3-A189-1499E95674C2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	10849  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
Last year our passenger captain’s chair in our Axis 25.2 began rocking. Upon inspection I found the undersized cotter pin that locked the nut in place had been chewed up by the nut because the bolt was too long. See the attached pictures. Since I didn’t have a shorter bolt, I added a washer so the hole in the bolt matched the nut when properly tightened. I then locked the nut in place with the correct size cotter pin. My guess is you will find a similar nut locking problem when you can get to your motor home.

Tom
Just I noticed the Drivers seat rocking today, and thought I need to check that on it and the passenger seat, now I see this, and think I definitely need to check it out. Another potentially disastrous defect. Should make a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

2017 Challenger 37TB here.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Just I noticed the Drivers seat rocking today, and thought I need to check that on it and the passenger seat, now I see this, and think I definitely need to check it out. Another potentially disastrous defect. Should make a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

2017 Challenger 37TB here.

You know, I had a similar reaction when I found the nut unsecured. But then I noticed that the seat has a much more robust backup restraint designed to hold the seat in place. Although you could argue a wobbly seat could contribute to an accident, I don’t think it is going to suddenly fall off of the pedestal, not even in a collision. However, this is an example of how the apparently benign practice of substituting parts during production can compromise the design.

Tom
Old 06-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
You know, I had a similar reaction when I found the nut unsecured. But then I noticed that the seat has a much more robust backup restraint designed to hold the seat in place. Although you could argue a wobbly seat could contribute to an accident, I don’t think it is going to suddenly fall off of the pedestal, not even in a collision. However, this is an example of how the apparently benign practice of substituting parts during production can compromise the design.

Tom
You may be right, I'll check mine out, hopefully that's the case.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

THOR #5822
Thanks to all ... this is the information that I was looking for. Thor Forums is an excellent resource for solving problems.