Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Xantrex ProSine 1800 Replaced

I replaced the Xantrex ProSine 1800 under warranty. It was determined that my first one has a bad internal transfer switch. Question is, should I just throw it in the garbage or is it possible to replace the internal transfer switch?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Dont know for sure, but expect it would be replaceable. Did you ask Xantrex if it can be rebuilt?

It may also be possible to remove (or disconnect) the TS and leave inverter operating as simple inverter in another application. As long as you are careful and don’t hurt yourself, there’s little to lose by trying.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #3

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dont know for sure, but expect it would be replaceable. Did you ask Xantrex if it can be rebuilt?

It may also be possible to remove (or disconnect) the TS and leave inverter operating as simple inverter in another application. As long as you are careful and don’t hurt yourself, there’s little to lose by trying.
Xantrex support said since it was replaced under warranty, they can't provide any info. Basically, I have it but don't need it but also don't want to throw it away. I was hoping someone has knowledge of just replacing the internal transfer switch since it would operates normally with just that piece replaced. Seems like a waste to toss it at 1000 dollars each.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Why trash some fun. Take it apart and look. I am betting you will find a big relay like used in shore power/generator switching or a SSR solid state relay. Is it repairable? A visual inspection will tell you a lot.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Xantrex support said since it was replaced under warranty, they can't provide any info. Basically, I have it but don't need it but also don't want to throw it away. I was hoping someone has knowledge of just replacing the internal transfer switch since it would operates normally with just that piece replaced. Seems like a waste to toss it at 1000 dollars each.

In the Xantrex website, I've seen wiring schematics that depict the transfer switch as if it's a separate stand-alone item inside inverter. If I had to guess, I'd bet it's a 30-Amp (unless it's 20-Amp) transfer switch that's nothing more than a common relay. It's not likely Xantrex would manufacture a relay when they can buy one in any configuration they need. Just a guess though.

Edit: Specs show 15-Amp relay.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In the Xantrex website, I've seen wiring schematics that depict the transfer switch as if it's a separate stand-alone item inside inverter. If I had to guess, I'd bet it's a 30-Amp (unless it's 20-Amp) transfer switch that's nothing more than a common relay. It's not likely Xantrex would manufacture a relay when they can buy one in any configuration they need. Just a guess though.

Edit: Specs show 15-Amp relay.
Nice, thanks. Looks like I'll be pulling it apart and replacing it. Now I will have a spare. Only military saying, "two is one and one is none."
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: California
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Nice, thanks. Looks like I'll be pulling it apart and replacing it. Now I will have a spare. Only military saying, "two is one and one is none."
How’d it work out, Techno? Did you swap out the transfer switch?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsmith4845 View Post
How’d it work out, Techno? Did you swap out the transfer switch?
I haven't had time yet but plan to within the next month or so. After I replace it, I'll just sell it to a good home.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Once you get it "under the knife": please take some pictures for us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote