Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #10408
12V Power To TOAD

Hello,

I have a 2017 Thor Challenger, towing a Chevy Malibu. Does anyone know if there is a dedicated location that is used to power my TOAD while hooked-up. Is there a factory connection or is it specific to the installer's own preference. I am trying to locate the source, as I suspect that the in-line fuse has blown; I no longer have power going to the TOAD; I need to locate the fuse. Thank you!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The is a pin on the 7 Pin Connector that has 12 VDC and there is a fuse for that pin as well as fuses and relays for the turn signals and lights.

As for constant 12VDC for charging a TOAD battery while traveling that would have to be wired in by whoever wires up the umbilical cord on the TOAD.

If you have an InvisiBrake the battery gets charged when the motorhomes lights are on. Even so, I had my installer add a charging line with fuse.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:28 AM   #3

THOR #10408
Hi Dave,
I have a Blue Ox Patriot II. The installer ran a dedicated 12V, but I have not had any luck tracing it to the source. I am hoping that I'll find a fuse, either in-line or in a panel that has blown. Unfortunately, the Dealer informed me that the installer has retired and they have no information to assist me. I guess I'll keep looking.
Thank you for your assistance!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:29 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
There were 4 fuse locations on our sob f53.
Under the hood, to the left of the brake pedal, the AC/DC distribution panel and a few individual fuses under the steps with the batteries (12v toad charge wire was 1 of those).
Old 07-13-2020, 02:36 AM   #5

THOR #10408
I never considered a direct line to the batteries; I'll check there as well. Thank you for the info!
Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Check the batteries first (as suggested) then under the bed, though I'm not sure know how you would distinguish those wires from the rest. It can be a proverbial rat's nest under there. Hopefully it'll be obvious.

Background: I run the Patriot as well. I bought my RV used as the tow bar and brake system. I installed my own version of a power source and, in the process, found the old wiring bundled under the coach. They tapped into the house batteries under the steps.

I used a 12v hot source under the bed that was only engaged when the ignition was on, so I tapped into it. I installed an inline fuse and ran it out back to a 4-pin. I wired the toad to accept the source using a cig lighter mounted under the dash.

It's only purpose is to run the Patriot so it doesn't draw on the towed battery. The beauty of this setup, in my eyes, is it's only 'engaged' when I need it - when the coach is running. If I need to pull off the road for the night, I only have to turn off the ignition to stop the draw and don't have to worry about draining any system. I hit the Patriots off button as habit but can skip it if I want.

Judge's post has more info on the install.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

THOR #10408
That's great information - thank you. I will check all locations suggested; it's got to be there somewhere.
Interesting way to wire the Patriot system; it keeps everything protected through the ignition key. With the key off, everything is off.
Thank you for your help!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
The 12v power source on the 7-pin EA mentions is a constant 12v supply on my coach - right wrong or indifferent. I avoided it for that reason.

Not everything is 'off'. The Patriot has an internal battery that likes to be charged. This is accomplished during road time. You have to turn off the power switch to truly shut it down. Sometimes I bother, sometimes I don't. It runs on external power so I'm not that concerned. I'm also not aware of the ramifications.

I don't have a wiring schematic so I can't tell if the incoming power must pass through the battery to the unit or it's 'jumpered' to accept either/or. If either/or, the external power will suffice. If it has to pass through the battery to the control board and I kill the battery by not shutting her down and she won't take a charge, the unit will not function.

Ignition off only means no draw on the coach. Not exactly sure what that means to the Patriot if she loses all power overnight until you hit the on switch in the morning. Haven't had to find out yet. When your not moving, she isn't doing anything so not putting a high draw on her own battery.

Hope you find out what's going on. Ping the forum with your find.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #9

THOR #10408
Thank you for taking time to respond and explain how that work's. I appreciate the information; it has clarified far more than the dealer even attempted. Thanks again!