Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
15 Jeep Wrangler jk toad

Just got my baseplate on the jeep today went to get it in my Silverado so I could tow it home. I had trouble moving the transfer case shifter to neutral then back to 2 hi when I got home. My manual didn't cover a procedure to shift to neutral it did for all the others you guys got any insight never owned a jeep or a 4 wheel drive period. It's a automatic tranny if that matters. Outside of that it towed fantastic can't wait for trip next month no tow dolly wowee thx in advance

Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Shifting Out of NEUTRAL (N)
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for normal usage.
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it connected to the tow vehicle.
2. Firmly apply the parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position but do not start the engine.
5. Press and hold the brake pedal.
6. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
7. Shift the transfer case lever to the desired position.
NOTE: When shifting the transfer case out of NEUTRAL (N), the engine should remain OFF to avoid gear clash.
8. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK, or place manual transmission in NEUTRAL.
9. Release the brake pedal.
10. Disconnect vehicle from the tow vehicle. 11. Start the engine.
12. Press and hold the brake pedal.
13. Release the parking brake.
14. Shift the transmission into gear, release the brake pedal (and clutch pedal on manual transmissions), and check that the vehicle operates normally.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
Thx Baddad53 I app I screen shot it so I'll have it next time
Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 AM   #4

Model: 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by One fat one View Post
Thx Baddad53 I app I screen shot it so I'll have it next time

I have a 2015 Wrangler, auto tranny, that’s exactly my procedure....enjoy....tows great!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
For those Jeepsters here...I just bought a 1989 YJ, one owner loaded with 62K original miles. Been sitting in a finished barn for many years but has been cranked occasionally and has all the extras....paid $3,000. Has 6 cyl and manual tranny but I plan on pulling it on a small tandem trailer vs. 4 down.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
With my 2015 Jeep Wrangler I used to follow the specific directions but they are a little confusing since they also include the stick shift and mine is an automatic. I have found the easiest way is while it is in park, set the parking brake. With the engine running and in park, shift the transfer case lever into neutral, then shift into drive, just to make sure your are truly in neutral. Turn off the engine and turn the key to the on position (without starting) to allow you to shift into park. You are now good to go. Your transfer case should now be in neutral and your gear shift should be in park. Don't forget to release the emergency brake after being connected to the RV.

Putting it back into gear is even easier. (Set the emergency brake) With the engine running, push the transfer case lever back into gear (probably 2 Hi). Thats it. Once you are disconnected from the RV, release the emergency brake and shift into gear and your good to go.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Slight variation for mine... I always shift transfer case for towing with engine off and transmission in Neutral.
Specific warning in my manual about shifting into PARK with transfer case Neutral and engine running (which others followed below).
The attached printed on index cards 'live' in the Jeep - a reminder for me and instructions for anyone else that may need to do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Checklist - Jeep Towing.pdf (120.0 KB, 38 views)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Slight variation for mine... I always shift transfer case for towing with engine off and transmission in Neutral.
Specific warning in my manual about shifting into PARK with transfer case Neutral and engine running (which others followed below).
The attached printed on index cards 'live' in the Jeep - a reminder for me and instructions for anyone else that may need to do it.
As I stated: "Turn off the engine and turn the key to the on position (without starting) to allow you to shift into park."

Additionally, I always shift the transfer case with the engine running. It is the same way you do it when driving...much easier to do.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I believe that you are following all the mentioned checklists and that when trying to get the Jeep ready to drive, you have difficulty moving from N to 2H/4H?

I have experienced the same many time. I have not figured out any pattern to not get the "binding" in the transfer case.

I try not to "force" the lever to desired position. The fix for me is to 4L first. Then when I start the engine, I then can move it to either $H/2H as needed.

Hope this helps.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote