Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2021, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16889
2018 equinox

Anybody towing any of the new front wheel drive equinox varieties? Read the manual did with the manual said three times battery would stead in a short time. I see people run a charge line from the motorhome to the car. Don't like that idea. As a result I just pull the negative terminal off the car till I get where I'm going. Anyone else doing this?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I don't see anything in your Owners Manual about the battery being dead in a short time under Recreational vehicle Towing. Generally, the body Control Module (BCM) will turn everything off after about 10 or 20 minutes anyway. Have you tested that? Does the Equinox have a steering wheel lock? If not, there's no need to leave the key in the ACC position.
Most Chevy's have you remove the DLIS fuse while flat towing. I surprised not to see tha in the instructions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:12 AM   #3

THOR #16889
Equinox has no key or steering lock.when shut off in park. Complete shut down. When towing in neutral, computer etc still running and drains battery.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:34 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Doesn't Chevrolet tell you start the car every morning and every gas stop when flat towing?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #5

THOR #16889
Battery was fully charged started the vehicle several times but in the course of towing for 150 miles or so went to start car and it was dead. As I said earlier my solution was and is disconnected negative terminal on the car.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Having to disconnect the negative battery terminal everytime you tow has to suck. Don't you lose all your presets? radio, seats, mirrors etc. There has to be an easier solution. My brother tows an equinox not sure the year, but I believe he has to pull a fuse as well as starting the car a couple times day, which I believe is to lubricate the trans. If you disconnect the battery that becomes a very big chore to do
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #7

THOR #16889
You are correct. The older model does have you pull a fuse. Never had this problem with my2012 terrain. When in neutral there is a big current draw. Pulling the negative terminal is easier than a dead battery. Hope Gm comes up with an answer.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, if disconnecting the battery is the solution I would install a remote battery disconnect like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8IR5E/

That's what we use in our Colorado which DOES require the battery to be disconnected due to it's electrical assist power steering.

And no, you don't loose all "your presets? radio, seats, mirrors etc.".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:16 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I also use a disconnect solenoid kit from roadmaster on positive terminal and hid the button in driverside front wheelwell so I can't accidentally lock myself out.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy18pa View Post
Anybody towing any of the new front wheel drive equinox varieties? Read the manual did with the manual said three times battery would stead in a short time. I see people run a charge line from the motorhome to the car. Don't like that idea. As a result I just pull the negative terminal off the car till I get where I'm going. Anyone else doing this?
Why don't you like that idea? Also what auxiliary brake system are you using? Many require power from the towed vehicle by plugging into the towed vehicle 12v plug which can lead to battery drain. A towed vehicle charge line keeps the towed battery charged.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #11

Model: ARIA 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #12263
I used to pull a 2 AMP fuse after everything was hooked up and in neutral and brake ooff, also turn off the ventilation system and radio. I made a jumper with a fuse in-line and a switch, now I just flip the switch when ready. It also makes a great car theft deterrent since the car will not start.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #12

State: Wisconsin
THOR #12362
2018 Equinox

We had the same issue. We were stopping every 2 hours and starting the car. If I made it to 3 hours more often than not wouldn't start. The 1st time we used We drained it so bad that couldn't even get in car to start was so dead. We did get in from behind the door handle. Wr solved it and now have no issues by the use of a trickle charger. It cost less than $100.00 to fix at a local mechanic. I now no longer worry about the car starting.