Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #25813
Partriot 3 settings

I recently had a Patriot 3 system with an Alpha 2 tow bar installed. I am having difficulty in knowing how to set up the adjustments for the braking system. The manual does not explain the process well. I have read several blog posts on the matter and they are confusing. My biggest issue is deciding the difference between the Force setting and the Sensitivity setting located in the settings menu. If the Force setting determines the amount of brake peddle pressure, what does the Sensitivity setting control? Are they different, and if they are, how do you determine the correct adjustments for both. I am towing a Ford Ranger behind a Thor Magnitude.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I've owned the Patriot III braking system for over 2 years now and use it on 2 different TOADs.

First - Ignore any answers from "Experts" on Etrailer regarding this system - they don't even know how it's actuated.

Force is easy - it's how much the braking system helps you slow down. Too little force and it's no help at all. Too much force and it will be locking up the TOADS brakes when you are just slowing for an intersection.

Sensitivity is more difficult to grasp - but think of it in terms of other uses of the word. If I have skin that is more sensitive to the sun than someone else then I will burn more easily than they would for the same exposure to the sun.

So a higher sensitivity on the braking system causes it to react sooner and with more force for a certain amount of deceleration than if you had a lower sensitivity. Notice that includes the word "force" but the FORCE setting is not changed by the sensitivity setting.

I have found I never need to change the sensitivity setting whereas the force setting may need adjustment from one tow to the next just due to how the system initializes itself when installed and powered on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #3

THOR #25813
Thank you for your help. I will test things out.