Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #18343
I don’t believe you can flat tow AWD vehicles!

Old 12-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Manufacturers disagree with you. But what do they know?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:06 AM   #23

THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Manufacturers disagree with you. But what do they know?
Of course you could always spend the extra money on lubrication pumps and driveshaft decouplers seeing most AWD cars are equipped with automatic transmissions.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:28 AM   #24
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Of course you could always spend the extra money on lubrication pumps and driveshaft decouplers seeing most AWD cars are equipped with automatic transmissions.
Really? So are most flat towable cars now-a-days. This is not your 70s/80s flat towing technology.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:48 AM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
It's so easy to post a link and be credible.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #26

State: Maine
THOR #12323
towing a Ford Escape Hybrid

We purchased a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid in April, and have been flat towing it. Could not afford the Titanium model, but we got the Sport model. I am pretty sure they have the same engine. Easy to do, and we have been towing it behind our ACE. We did add a charge line. And yes, finding the neutral tow option in the menu was a trick. You have to hit the down arrow on the menu section to make that option appear.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #27
DLF

State: Illinois
THOR #18745
Dlf

we have a lexus450h hybrid all wheel drive. we are told we an not use our car dolly or tow it flat because there are electric motor for each wheel. the computor would get confused and lock up the wheels
Old 12-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #28
DLF

State: Illinois
THOR #18745
We have a lexus rx450h. it is a hybrid with all wheel drive. lexus says it has to be towed with all four wheels off the ground.
this is becuse there could be damage to the drive train assembly.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
We have a lexus rx450h. it is a hybrid with all wheel drive. lexus says it has to be towed with all four wheels off the ground.
this is becuse there could be damage to the drive train assembly.
It sounds as if it's time to purchase a trailer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #30

THOR #18343
Sometimes I don’t like getting talked down to as if I don’t know what I’m talking about ie: 164ace27, ducksface.

As old as I am I do know how to research things! Although some people twist things to make you sound like an idiot! So here is a short article about AWD towing!
Correct me if I’m wrong but it does say it’s not advisable to tow AWD vehicles.

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT TOWING AN AWD VEHICLE?

The promise of extra traction in wet and snowy weather has made all-wheel drive (AWD) a popular option for many car buyers. However, the addition of all-wheel drive can make towing a vehicle so equipped a bit complicated. The following explains why it's important to err on the side of caution when towing an AWD vehicle. You'll also learn a few safe ways to get the job done, whether you're towing your own vehicle or having a towing service do the work for you.

Understanding AWD and 4WD

Before getting down to the nuts and bolts of AWD, it's important to clear up a bit of confusion concerning the term "all-wheel drive." That's because it's commonly used interchangeably with "four-wheel drive" (4WD), which works similarly to AWD in some respects. However, there are a few important differences between AWD and 4WD:

4WD systems are generally optimized for off-road use. Part-time 4WD systems allow the driver to manually engage all four wheels at low speeds. Full-time 4WD systems work similarly to AWD, allowing drivers to keep all four wheels engaged. Most 4WD systems use front and rear differentials, plus a transfer case for engaging the front and/or rear axles.
AWD systems are optimized for on-road use. AWD systems typically use front and rear differentials just like their 4WD counterparts, but with the addition of a viscous or electronic coupling to split power between each set of axles or even individual wheels. Most AWD systems are also permanently engaged to varying extents, making it impossible to disengage without removing a driveshaft.
The Problem With Towing AWD Vehicles

When it comes to towing a vehicle on two wheels, common wisdom dictates that the vehicle being towed shouldn't be towed by its drive wheels. Even if the vehicle is left in neutral, towing a car by its drive wheels can cause significant damage to the transmission. With a front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicle, that means towing the car with its rear wheels on the ground. For a rear-wheel drive (RWD) car, the opposite applies -- the car must be towed with its front wheels on the ground (with the steering locked for safety) or with the driveshaft removed while its rear wheels are on the ground.

For an AWD car, however, that common wisdom flies out of the window. Towing a vehicle equipped with a permanent AWD system on two wheels could result in damage to the coupling, as well as the transmission and various other drive components.

How to Tow an AWD Vehicle without Damage

When dealing with AWD vehicles that need a tow, keeping it off the ground is usually the best strategy. For this, you'll need a flatbed tow truck or a flatbed trailer. Trailering or towing an AWD vehicle on a flatbed is the easiest and often safest choice of moving such a vehicle without causing thousands of dollars in damage to its drivetrain. When flatbed tow trucks or trailers aren't available, many tow truck and crane services resort to tow dollies to transport AWD vehicles while keeping their wheels above ground.

Keep in mind these aren't the tow dollies normally offered by moving truck rental companies. These tow dollies consist of an inline pair of small wheels attached to a metal frame. The frame is placed against the vehicle's wheel and the two pairs of wheels are linked together with a set of aluminum axles. Using a long bar and plenty of leverage, the axles are lifted into position, which in turn cradles the wheels between the axles and lifts them off the ground.

Both methods are preferred for towing AWD vehicles, since it minimizes the likelihood of damage to the vehicle's drivetrain components.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I understand preferring an AWD vehicle for snowy conditions...
But having driven in the rain a few times in the pat 50 years: that article was laying it on a bit thick.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Sometimes I don’t like getting talked down to as if I don’t know what I’m talking about ie: 164ace27, ducksface.

As old as I am I do know how to research things! Although some people twist things to make you sound like an idiot! So here is a short article about AWD towing!
Correct me if I’m wrong but it does say it’s not advisable to tow AWD vehicles.

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT TOWING AN AWD VEHICLE?

The promise of extra traction in wet and snowy weather has made all-wheel drive (AWD) a popular option for many car buyers. However, the addition of all-wheel drive can make towing a vehicle so equipped a bit complicated. The following explains why it's important to err on the side of caution when towing an AWD vehicle. You'll also learn a few safe ways to get the job done, whether you're towing your own vehicle or having a towing service do the work for you.

Understanding AWD and 4WD

Before getting down to the nuts and bolts of AWD, it's important to clear up a bit of confusion concerning the term "all-wheel drive." That's because it's commonly used interchangeably with "four-wheel drive" (4WD), which works similarly to AWD in some respects. However, there are a few important differences between AWD and 4WD:

4WD systems are generally optimized for off-road use. Part-time 4WD systems allow the driver to manually engage all four wheels at low speeds. Full-time 4WD systems work similarly to AWD, allowing drivers to keep all four wheels engaged. Most 4WD systems use front and rear differentials, plus a transfer case for engaging the front and/or rear axles.
AWD systems are optimized for on-road use. AWD systems typically use front and rear differentials just like their 4WD counterparts, but with the addition of a viscous or electronic coupling to split power between each set of axles or even individual wheels. Most AWD systems are also permanently engaged to varying extents, making it impossible to disengage without removing a driveshaft.
The Problem With Towing AWD Vehicles

When it comes to towing a vehicle on two wheels, common wisdom dictates that the vehicle being towed shouldn't be towed by its drive wheels. Even if the vehicle is left in neutral, towing a car by its drive wheels can cause significant damage to the transmission. With a front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicle, that means towing the car with its rear wheels on the ground. For a rear-wheel drive (RWD) car, the opposite applies -- the car must be towed with its front wheels on the ground (with the steering locked for safety) or with the driveshaft removed while its rear wheels are on the ground.

For an AWD car, however, that common wisdom flies out of the window. Towing a vehicle equipped with a permanent AWD system on two wheels could result in damage to the coupling, as well as the transmission and various other drive components.

How to Tow an AWD Vehicle without Damage

When dealing with AWD vehicles that need a tow, keeping it off the ground is usually the best strategy. For this, you'll need a flatbed tow truck or a flatbed trailer. Trailering or towing an AWD vehicle on a flatbed is the easiest and often safest choice of moving such a vehicle without causing thousands of dollars in damage to its drivetrain. When flatbed tow trucks or trailers aren't available, many tow truck and crane services resort to tow dollies to transport AWD vehicles while keeping their wheels above ground.

Keep in mind these aren't the tow dollies normally offered by moving truck rental companies. These tow dollies consist of an inline pair of small wheels attached to a metal frame. The frame is placed against the vehicle's wheel and the two pairs of wheels are linked together with a set of aluminum axles. Using a long bar and plenty of leverage, the axles are lifted into position, which in turn cradles the wheels between the axles and lifts them off the ground.

Both methods are preferred for towing AWD vehicles, since it minimizes the likelihood of damage to the vehicle's drivetrain components.

OK, so you make a blanket statement about flat towing AWD vehicles: " I don’t believe you can flat tow AWD vehicles!". You can have your own beliefs but your statement was blatantly incorrect. If you had tempered it with "I don't believe a lot of AWD vehicles can be flat towed", it would have been fine, except we know exactly which vehicle this thread is about and it has already been verified it can be flat towed.

Then you try to justify your statement about AWD vehicles by using the "automatic transmission" excuse, which applies to a lot of vehicles, but also does not apply to many automatic transmission vehicles which are perfectly capable of being flat towed: as I said, most vehicles (other than Jeeps) being flat-towed today are automatic transmission vehicles.

Then Ducksface suggested you provide a link to backup your beliefs and you come up with a quote from an 4&1/2 year old tow truck blog about towing AWD vehicles with wreckers, not flat-towing them behind an motorhome.

So if you don't want to be corrected, don't promulgate incorrect information. Not trying to start a "Flame War" here, just looking out for people reading this thread and being mislead.

Many AWD vehicles can be flat towed behind a motorhome and most cannot be dolly towed.

To find out which vehicles can be towed behind a motorhome a good place to start is the Dinghy Towing Guides here:
https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

But before making a decision on purchasing a vehicle, find the owners manual and verify the manufacturer has made provisions and provided a procedure to tow the vehicle on a dolly or 4 down behind a motorhome, commonly called "Recreational Towing".
Old 12-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #33

THOR #18343
This site really tried your patience! [Mod Edit: Unnecessary language] I never thought there were so many perfect talented people here! I’m done! Site will be deleted! To many asshole critics!
Old 12-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
This site really tried your patience! [Mod Edit: Unnecessary language] I never thought there were so many perfect talented people here! I’m done! Site will be deleted! To many asshole critics!
Sorry you feel that way, but think about it:

When you came here asking for help with installing satellite radio in your RV would you rather have gotten accurate, knowledgeable responses that actually helped you? Or people responding with their inaccurate opinions on how it might be done?
Old 12-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyregg View Post
We have conflicting info about the ability to flat tow the 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD automatic. Has anyone done it or seen it done?

We purchased a 2020 Escape Hybrid FWD and were pleased to discover in the manual that it can be flat towed. ( We did not purchase it to flat tow. Just a nice possibility. ) We did look at the AWD (not hybrid) and the owners manual stated it was not flat towable. Keep in mind that some vehicles are listed as towable but make sure to check under recreational towing in the owners manual.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #36

THOR #18343
I just picked one of the many articles on the subject, which most stated the same thing it not recommended! And if I listed to the answers I got instead of going with my thought to remove engine cover after all a 5 minute job would have been a 2hr job had I listened to the replies! And ya didn’t see me jump on the opportunity to call someone out cause they told me to remove the radio by taking the dash apart!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Yikes! Read what you find helpful and blow off everything else. No worries. I hope you find happiness elsewhere.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #38

THOR #13932
I don't even say whether a couch can be sat on without providing a link as proof.
See the
Rotten upholstery thread.

On the
My plastic city water hookup is junk
Thread
I even went as far as to add value by providing links for people with sore hands, almost completely off topic.

In my signature thread someone asked about the camera on their new radio.
I provided about 20 'secret' codes to access advanced radio stuff.

Don't post without a link and you'll be fine.
All I asked for is proofs, not opinions.

Opinion is blue vs maroon 24.1 colors.
Opinion is 'this works because I say it will work.'

I don't give one flying patoot about AWD or towed vehicles.
I do care how those here who don't think, might think an opinion is a fact.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #39

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t want to start an argument, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing opinions on a forum. We’re big boys and girls here and we can interpret ideas for ourselves. I’ve done some of my best work following through on half baked ideas that somebody posted. I’d hate for this forum to be “fact checked” all the time like Facebook!
Old 12-28-2020, 01:05 AM   #40

THOR #13932
And I'd hate for it to a be a place where stupid things can be said as fact.
They need challenged when they say
'Hook your batteries up to give 24 volts and your fridge will get colder and your alternator won't work as hard'.

If it's a problem for me to say:
'Post a link about the 24volts lest you convince someone of such a stupid thing' :
I'll not want to be here.

The newbs can suffer by believing the 24 volt thing is truth, I won't be here to ask how the op knows 24v is a good thing, and you think it's OK to say the 24v thing is the right thing to do. Unchecked.
You can reason as to why you didn't ask why in the hell someone would state something like 24v.

I do not suffer fools, nor those who suffer fools.

Tags
flat tow escape hybrd