Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Anyone towing old Volkswagon Beetle

Looking into old Beetle to tow, just curious for now. I heard u can tow in neutral no problem.
And, I was curious about how low they are. I would think if I drop hitch and tow bar level at the hitch receiver would constantly drag going
in/out of gas station drainage and any up and down situation.
If that is true, to avoid, what upward angle on tow bar can you get away with and still be safe?
Thx, Dennis.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
Looking forward to the answer. My wife and I are considering buying a a late 60's early 70's Beetle to tow. We think it would be fun to drive around campsite areas plus they don't weigh anything.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Looking into old Beetle to tow, just curious for now. I heard u can tow in neutral no problem.
And, I was curious about how low they are. I would think if I drop hitch and tow bar level at the hitch receiver would constantly drag going
in/out of gas station drainage and any up and down situation.
If that is true, to avoid, what upward angle on tow bar can you get away with and still be safe?
Thx, Dennis.
I towed my Karmin Ghia for years - until it turned into a little pile of rust in my driveway - and never had an issue. It is a little low and I dragged a few times, but got used to judging. If you do get a beetle, there is a tow bar built specifically for beetles, that fits up under the front suspension and attaches with two pins above the axel. Super easy to get on and off and I could tie it up to the bumper and drive short distances with it on. Easy on the vehicle to tow it that way too. Don't know if there are any still around, but it would be worth looking for.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
Looking forward to the answer. My wife and I are considering buying a a late 60's early 70's Beetle to tow. We think it would be fun to drive around campsite areas plus they don't weigh anything.
My Ghia convertible weight about 1600 lbs. Four strong guys could pick it up and move it.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
Many years ago I left my MGB parked on a sound stage and went out and ran some errands. When I returned the crew had picked it up and placed it on wood boxes about two feet in the air.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I towed my Karmin Ghia for years - until it turned into a little pile of rust in my driveway - and never had an issue. It is a little low and I dragged a few times, but got used to judging. If you do get a beetle, there is a tow bar built specifically for beetles, that fits up under the front suspension and attaches with two pins above the axel. Super easy to get on and off and I could tie it up to the bumper and drive short distances with it on. Easy on the vehicle to tow it that way too. Don't know if there are any still around, but it would be worth looking for.
I have seen those tow bars very reasonable. But correct me if I am wrong, u still have to lie on ground under front and connect?

If so, that is the part I am afraid of as I have a bad back, bad neck, and 2 replaced knees!!! Once I'm down I can't hardly get up but if I do usually get hurt/strain something after I do!!!

I was thinking of going w a Roadmaster or Blue Ox baseplate. Probably BO since I have one of there tow bars here at the house. Thx, Dennis.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
My Ghia convertible weight about 1600 lbs. Four strong guys could pick it up and move it.
Ha ha, cars used to get moved around like that all the time back in our high school lot, I remember personally being involved in one VW move.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I have seen those tow bars very reasonable. But correct me if I am wrong, u still have to lie on ground under front and connect?

If so, that is the part I am afraid of as I have a bad back, bad neck, and 2 replaced knees!!! Once I'm down I can't hardly get up but if I do usually get hurt/strain something after I do!!!

I was thinking of going w a Roadmaster or Blue Ox baseplate. Probably BO since I have one of there tow bars here at the house. Thx, Dennis.
You're right. That was in my earlier days. I probably wouldn't find it as easy any more.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
I tow a manx style buggy .... same vw tow bar. It's worked really well, but I probably have an easier time getting down to the front to connect the bar with the fiberglass body....