Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Anyone use a wireless backup camera to see behind their trailer?

In Missouri it's legal to triple town.....so I'm thinking about pulling a small single axle ATV trailer behind my 20ft long travel trailer.

Just in order to see what's going on back there....I've thought about installing one of those wireless backup camera kits you can get off of Amazon for around $50....and just leave it on all the time. Has anyone used one of these? From what I can see....you just mount the camera on the license plate bracket of my travel trailer, give it 12v power, and the transmitter sends the signal to the receiver in the cab of the truck that's hooked to the small little monitor. I figured that way I could at least keep an eye on the ATV trailer....and if I ever have to back the thing up....it might help out.

Are there any that are better or worse than the rest? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Many of the wireless cameras use bluetooth and they have a very limited range and are susceptible to interference from other bluetooth cameras. Some of the better ones offer a repeater or digital transmission to avoid the problem. Just figure you will get 1/3 to 1/2 the range they advertise and you wont be too disappointed.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I've used both wired and wireless. I'd recommend you go with a wired version or at least locate your wireless transmitter on the front of your travel trailer to allow better reception and minimize interference. I pulled doubles behind my 33 ft 5th wheel. The full time on camera is nice when lane changing.