Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Bad News...Good News

We recently purchased and self installed all the kit to legally tow our JKU behind the Omni. Other than a short trial through the neighborhood to validate things worked, and we knew how to hook everything up and prep the jeep, we hadn't really tested the system.
This week the Omni had an appointment with a dealer an hr away so we hooked up the jeep so we could keep ourselves busy while the dealer did his work.
The trip there included city driving, traffic circles, interstate, 65 mph 2 lane, etc... a real good situational test for the setup. Trip to the dealer was a breeze. About 15 miles into retracing our route on the way home on a 65 mph 2 lane, I feel a series of jolts from the rear. A quick glance in the observation camera showed my the hitch had cocked itself to the passenger side. We safely pulled over to inspect and found that the lock had released on the passenger side extension arm and it was retracted while the drivers side was fully extended. We disconnected to correct what we assumed was some error we made in setup only to find that the arm lock was totally non-functional. We drove home separately.

Once home I took a video of the extension not locking and sent it off to E-trailer. Within hours they responded with a direct contact number and the contact number for Roadmaster. I called RM and a tech said the most common reason for a failure like that is poor lubrication, and even though new that was his suspicion. He described the lubrication procedure so off I went. My skepticism proved correct and lubrication did nothing. With the dust cover removed, I did however now see a bolt head. I placed a socket on it and it turned easily with finger pressure alone. I gave it maybe 2 revolutions clockwise and tested the extension arm and it locked securely in place and released appropriately with the release lever. So now I know how to correct the issue, but how far is that bolt supposed to be turned in and what keeps it from vibrating loose again? Back on the phone now with different tech.
His reaction is "oh that"s not right" please send us an email with all the details of your purchase. I did and copied my contact at E-trailer. I get a call from E-trailer telling me they contacted RM and provided purchase details and then I get a call from the tech at RM explaining the replacement and return process and telling me to check my email for a return label. Within minutes I also see a UPS notification for a pickup at RM.
I asked the tech at RM what they would do with the returned unit. He said they would bring it down the the shop floor and disassemble to review with the operators what had failed and why. As a retired engineering manager with the Quality function as part of my responsibility, I was delighted.
So believe it or not, I'm a happy customer of both these companies.
Whenever humans are involved, mistakes can happen. It's how the mistakes are handled what makes the difference.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's an excellent outcome to a potential disaster! Fortunately there was no damage.

I have always heard that both Roadmaster and Blue Ox (what I have) are very attentive to customer issues.

Hope your replacement works great... I trust their engineering. Safe & happy travels!
Old 12-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've ordered quite a few things for the coach and trailers from e-trailer. They have perfected customer service! They have a lot more parts for RV's than you wold think...even awning parts.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote