Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
bargman connector running light pin dead

after reading my description which follows, I am looking for places to look, check for source of problem. the only next step I can think of is to trace the wires underneath looking for connectors or breaks that may have failed. that will not be easy. I think I have covered all other areas. any suggestions???

PROBLEM : I have a Bergman 7 pin trailer connector that left, right, ground work. but the running light pin is dead.
BACKGROUND : I have never towed anything, never used it. I am trying to connect a 4 pin adapter to it. the only things I need for it are left, right, running and ground I have checked and tested the fuses and relays, they are functional. I have swapped relays and fuses, no improvement.
I have removed the connector from the mount plate and visually inspected it, there are no serviceable parts, it looks okay.
SPECIFICATIONS : FORD E-450 2016 fuse distribution box, 85 positions, located under hood front drivers side.
Items of interest, all these I have tested (with multimeter) (tt = trailer tow) :
the relays : #4 = tt battery charge relay; #6 = tt park relay; #17 = tt battery charge; #18 = tt brake controller; #37 = tt left relay; #38 = tt right relay;
the fuses : 17 = tt battery; 18 = tt brake; 48 = tt stop & directional; 57 = tt park; 58 = tt backup; 63 = tt battery charge.

I have not looked at the passenger compartment fuse box as the only relevant items are 33 = trailer brake controller and 44 = tt battery charge relay both of which are not relevant to the driving light pin.

am I missing anything? what do you suggest? start tracing wires??

Old 12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Sorry nobody has chimed in as of yet. Have you checked for power at the input of the TT park lamp relay? I know you said you checked the fuses, but, was that with eyeball or with a meter? Did you check them in place, looking for 12VDC on both sides? If that all works out, then start chasing the wire, physically, down the frame rail, looking for damage or a break. If nothing, then a sharp probe with your meter, looking for where the voltage drops at. conversely, you could pony up and buy a signal tracer. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ADHQC...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 12-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
after reading my description which follows, I am looking for places to look, check for source of problem. the only next step I can think of is to trace the wires underneath looking for connectors or breaks that may have failed. that will not be easy. I think I have covered all other areas. any suggestions???

PROBLEM : I have a Bergman 7 pin trailer connector that left, right, ground work. but the running light pin is dead.

BACKGROUND : I have never towed anything, never used it. I am trying to connect a 4 pin adapter to it. the only things I need for it are left, right, running and ground I have checked and tested the fuses and relays, they are functional. I have swapped relays and fuses, no improvement.

I have removed the connector from the mount plate and visually inspected it, there are no serviceable parts, it looks okay.

SPECIFICATIONS : FORD E-450 2016 fuse distribution box, 85 positions, located under hood front drivers side.

Items of interest, all these I have tested (with multimeter) (tt = trailer tow) :

the relays : #4 = tt battery charge relay; #6 = tt park relay; #17 = tt battery charge; #18 = tt brake controller; #37 = tt left relay; #38 = tt right relay;

the fuses : 17 = tt battery; 18 = tt brake; 48 = tt stop & directional; 57 = tt park; 58 = tt backup; 63 = tt battery charge.

I have not looked at the passenger compartment fuse box as the only relevant items are 33 = trailer brake controller and 44 = tt battery charge relay both of which are not relevant to the driving light pin.

am I missing anything? what do you suggest? start tracing wires??
My Fords had the square 10 amp fuse for TM in the under hood box
Old 12-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #4

THOR #17346
UPDATE: thank for your responses. the problem thus far is that the fuse power side has no power. when I supply 12v to the load side of the fuse socket I get 12 volts at the connector. Why would there be no power to the fuse?? there is power to the relay switch circuit, it clicks when I turn the parking lights on at the dash via light switch so that when supply the 12 volts to the load side of fuse socket the power flows through. so, why no power to the fuse??
Old 12-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #5

THOR #17346
todays update - I talked with Ford technical. the tech there confirmed my suspicions, the fuse box is bad, at least that circuit. more bad news, the warranty expired on that. and, he also stated there is another tt pin powered by what powers the taillight pin = 57. the good news, the tech thought my workaround was a good one. in case you care, my workaround was to install a jumper wire in the fuse box from an unused slot that feeds into 57, and that jumper is fused at the same size as 57, which is 20a. the way I would officially confirm the box is bad is to take it to ford and have them verify it, but why do that? the tech thought I had sufficiently diagnosed the problem. I feel very happy with Ford support, their response, and knowledgeable techs.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Glad you found it, sorry it was a fuse box, but glad you were able to find a cheap fix.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #7

THOR #17346
thanks Harry. If I had started the trace at the fuse box, as you suggested, I would have found it much quicker. I have in all my days never seen a bad fuse box, at least on a relatively new chassis. so I eyed the fuses, didn't check the power to the fuse socket. starting at the back, traced up to the fuse box and started looking at the details. live and learn! I will know better next time, but I would bet at this point in my life I will never see that again.

lesson learned: verify the power in the fuse socket, not just the fuse.