Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31S
State: Ohio
THOR #4788
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System

We are VERY new to the Motor Coach world. Our question is...How does this brake system work? There is nothing that "hooks" up to our Jeep Wrangler, but it is supposed to "sense" speed and braking requirements. We know that in many states, it is law to have it. Can anyone give us guidance?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The Patriot has a breakaway wire to feed through the firewall and it plugs into the controls box. This control unit has a spring clamp for the brake peddle arm that actuates braking in the toad. Once connected and powered up with 12V (center console outlet is usually hot with key off) you activate a setup sequence that extends the brake arm 3 times. A properly positioned unit will set into the floor and seat front good and solid without tilt during the setup cycle extensions.

For my Jeep I typically lower sensitivity from the default ON of 5 to 4 or even 3. This can be conducted at the controller or from the cab remote. You can watch the brake activated light on the cab controller to know when the Patriot is engaging and feel the drag kick in. Dial in the brake engagement sensitivity from the cab for your conditions. I've never felt the need to dig into other non-default settings.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #3

THOR #4788
Thank you, have you found the Patriot helpful in breaking the toad?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
The breakaway switch only activates the controller if your toad breaks away from your motor home. Under normal circumstances the Patriot is activated by a centrifugal switch based on how hard you are braking. Under normal stops it may not activate at all depending on where the sensitivity control is set.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #5

THOR #4788
Thank you!!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:43 AM   #6

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlang@bex.net View Post
Thank you, have you found the Patriot helpful in breaking the toad?
Yes! Quite effective.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

THOR #4788
Thank you!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
The breakaway switch only activates the controller if your toad breaks away from your motor home. Under normal circumstances the Patriot is activated by a centrifugal switch based on how hard you are braking. Under normal stops it may not activate at all depending on where the sensitivity control is set.

Question, you say it has a "centrifugal " thingy ? How does that work going down a steep mountain ? Just trying to get the right setup for my rig.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have not had opportunity to find iut going down a mountain but it works well going down the hills in the Ozarks here in Missouri. I'm not sure how it works internally but just that it does. It comes with a wireless remote that lets you know if there is an issue and also allows setting the gain "sensitivity ".
Old 06-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The sensor works by sensing deceleration (braking) and is not affected by angles such as mountain driving. The sensitivity can be adjusted based on the size of your toad. To much and the toad will be trying to stop the MH, overheat and wear out the toad brakes. To little and there will be little if any braking. The Blue Ox comes with recommended settings based on the weight of your toad.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #11

THOR #6874
Well by cracky I think I'll get one ordered. Nobody like simple installations like it do.
Now, anyone have a link to the worrying kit that keeps the toad batteries charged from the MH ?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

THOR #5196
Depending on what you are going to tow you could, if possible add a second battery. I added one on our Jeep Wrangler along with a solenoid to separate from the primary. (I used a deep cycle battery) Unless you're pulling for a long distance at a time or a lot of city driving, starting your vehicle once a day will keep it charged.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #13

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Now, anyone have a link to the worrying kit that keeps the toad batteries charged from the MH ?
That cracks me up ... and it's perfect! The "worrying kit"!

Nothing wrong with putting a "wiring kit" on so that the toad battery stays charged.

However, FWIW ... I've never had a low battery even after a couple consecutive days of travel. Certainly reading forums have made me think about putting in a charge wire, though as an alternate I lean toward simply doing direct power to the brake controller from the RV with a dedicated outlet. Funny how after years of never having a battery problem, my priority to install a worry kit gets lower all the time.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

THOR #6874
I feel like a dork.... not reading what my auto correct does..... or just these fat fingers. <sigh>. The worrying kit came with the motor home automatically when things started breaking before I got 2 miles from the dealer !
Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #15

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
I do have a question about the Patriot. The literature says it has an internal battery backup but for the life of me I can't figure out how that battery is charged or what the Amp-hour rating is. I sent an email to Blue Ox but haven't received a reply. Has anyone figured out these mysteries?

Thanks,

Ed and Robin
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #16

THOR #5196
It charges while it's plugged in. Don't know the amp hours.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Yes, the Patriot's internal battery is charged from another battery but now the question becomes how do you know what level (percent) of charge that battery is at before, during, or after using it? I had a reputable dealer install my system but they evidently did not charge the Patriot and I ended up with a depleted car battery after 2-1/2 hours of towing.

Thanks!
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #18

THOR #6874
Just received my Patriot today. The instructions say to charge the unit before installing. My crystal ball is broken so I don't know how to charge it because it was a little tidbit they left out. Anyone ?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #19

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Just received my Patriot today. The instructions say to charge the unit before installing. My crystal ball is broken so I don't know how to charge it because it was a little tidbit they left out. Anyone ?
Plug it in to a lighter plug for several hours, that's how it charges.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #20

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I have the Patriot system and it works very well for coming down a mountain. I have been on several steep grades, 16%, and have my sensor set for 7 towing a CRV. I had to do an emergency stop in Tahoe on 89, steep downgrade with a hairpin turn. Guy coming up cut the curve short and was almost totally in my lane and I was navigating to begin the curve. Stopped just fine. I'm sure he had to clean up a bit, or I would have pushed him over the side.

The sensor is an accelerometer. Just like the one in your phone. I stuck my controller on the MH dash.

Tags
blue ox patriot brake