Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #18093
Blue ox or Roadmaster?

Getting ready to have a tow system installed on my new Jeep Cherokee, but want one that isn’t going to make by car look ugly. Is there a difference between the two? The place I was going to go to does Roadmaster, but they said they can do Blue Ox. Just wondering what you suggest. Thank you!

Old 04-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Research the features of the various tow bars and go with the one you want based on features.

I have all Roadmaster on my Grand Cherokee and am very happy with the setup.

Also do a search on the forum for flat tow Cherokee. This topic has been discussed a bunch and nothing new has come out recently.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Either one will work and both require round openings in the front for the attachments to go in.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I have Roadmaster on my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. The receptacles protrude where the factory recovery hooks were.
I just helped my brother install a Roadmaster baseplate on his Chevy Equinox clean install. When he researched the install of Blue Ox or Roadmaster, the Roadmaster was an easier install.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #5

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
My RV place likes Blue Ox base plates and Roadmaster tow bars, so that's what I had installed. Getting too old and disabled for DIY so I do point and pay.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:35 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My tech guy told me blue ox is better
Because you can remove to sharp connections
From the front of the
Vehicle when not towing
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My tech guy told me blue ox is better
Because you can remove to sharp connections
From the front of the
Vehicle when not towing
You mean like this?

You "tech guy" needs to expand his experience.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:21 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Since we basically talking cosmetics; I don't see the technical reason for why a tow plate is required if the vehicle has tow hooks already mounted? I asked Blue Ox that question direct and they said the tow hooks are NOT meant for towing

I just think if you find a very nice SUV that has tow hooks and flat tow capability; you should be able to get a hitch to connect to both tow hooks to do more than just tow it out of a ditch.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:42 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Since we basically talking cosmetics; I don't see the technical reason for why a tow plate is required if the vehicle has tow hooks already mounted? I asked Blue Ox that question direct and they said the tow hooks are NOT meant for towing

I just think if you find a very nice SUV that has tow hooks and flat tow capability; you should be able to get a hitch to connect to both tow hooks to do more than just tow it out of a ditch.
Tow hooks are not meant for long distance towing. They are for recovery from stuck conditions such as mud or snow. The bolt holes for my tow hooks were used for mounting the Roadmaster baseplate
Old 04-07-2021, 03:15 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Tow hooks are not meant for long distance towing. They are for recovery from stuck conditions such as mud or snow. The bolt holes for my tow hooks were used for mounting the Roadmaster baseplate
I understand what they were intended for; But why not? You may exert more vector forces on the factory tow hooks when pulling from mud or a stuck condition than when simply cruising down the highway at 65mph.

The fact that both Blue Ox & Roadmaster use the same holes confirm the stability of frame. Then at least in my case on Lincoln Navigator the tow hooks are made of solid steel with a diameter that exceeds those Blue Ox / Roadmaster inserts with pins.

I attached a picture of what I have to distinct from a vehicle that may actually have open hook. My belief is that if anything; for a Navigator you only need bracket / pin that will fit the existing mfg hitch of choice and the through the holes of the factory enclosed mount. Right now according to Blue Ox you have to cut away part of the lower front bumper where factory tow hook is; which is insane for these new $80 - $90k SUV!!!
Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car but I think I’d trust Blue Ox’s engineering over anyone’s “armchair” design. If it’s done well trimming the valence for clearance will look just fine.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car but I think I’d trust Blue Ox’s engineering over anyone’s “armchair” design. If it’s done well trimming the valence for clearance will look just fine.
I actually see it differently. I trust Ford Engineering over Blue Ox's value add marketing for a base plate that is not necessarily required in every vehicle with tow hooks. Some auto tow hooks I would agree are not designed to hold a connection long term because it is simple hook for pulling.

But it is mute point anyway because to do what I want Blue Ox, or Roadmaster would need to design an adapter to attached to the factory enclosed tow hooks to afix their hitch to. I am sure they simple do not wish to design adaptors for each vehicle in favor of selling the high profit margin required base plates.

Just so you know, my current Navigator despite the tow hooks is not 4 down compatible, however; I have been looking at getting a new one and it has the same tow hooks; but they are nicely hidden by Lincoln in the newer models when not in use. If I were to buy one; it would be personal decision; and I am 100% sure I would never cut into my new Lincoln Navigator despite what Blue Ox says. At 6,000+ lbs; it is actually too heavy for my current RV anyway. We just sold our 2010 SRX that was 4 down towable; but it needed custom cutout on front grill as well

I will wait and keep looking, if I could find a very nice luxury SUV with no cut out required, and the front look is not permanent marred by the base plate, I may have some interest in a tow system from Roadmaster or Blue Ox. But thus far our RV is not that big; and we have been able to get around and get buy. Buying a dedicated toad vehicle is NOT an option for us.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Check my Grand Cherokee manual. Specifically states tow hooks are for emergency use off road only and not for use when towing by tow truck or for highway towing.

I will trust the Jeep Engineers no matter what someone thinks or says. Jeep holds the warranty, not fly by night wanna be engineers at Blue Ox.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Check my Grand Cherokee manual. Specifically states tow hooks are for emergency use off road only and not for use when towing by tow truck or for highway towing.

I will trust the Jeep Engineers no matter what someone thinks or says. Jeep holds the warranty, not fly by night wanna be engineers at Blue Ox.
A agree with you here. You got the ultimate all around vehicle that can also be flat towed. At the end of the day, go with the Mfg Engineers.

So all are clear I do not advocate adaptors for all kinds of tow hooks. If it is true hook (J shaped) it would be dangerous to come off etc. My Navigator tow hooks pictured above are not really tow hooks (J shaped) but devices that can be connected to pull or be pulled. Since you referenced manual; I pulled my manual and it did not specifically say yea or nay on the how to use the tow hooks, but it did say CONTRARY To what Blue Ox says on their website that my Navigator year model can be flat towed Technically Blue Ox didn't say it couldn't be Flat Towed it is just that don't make a base plate for it. My point above is that perhaps they shouldn't, but focus on making adaptors for their hitches when a vehicle has factory installed built in hooks that can be safely be used per the Mfg Engineers.