Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2022, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #26048
Brake controller 2022 Vegas 24.1 connection location?

I was wondering f where the chassis connector is for a brake controller. I assume it is under the dash somewhere.
Thank you in advance

Jim
jeepfyxer@gmail.com

Old 08-23-2022, 02:11 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Look for the brake controller harness/connector close to the steering column under the dash. It's often wrapped with other wiring and secured to the steering column itself.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26284
I was also looking for the same thing on my Axis 25.2 18 model but after going back again I never found anything. It also said to find it in the compartment down under the drivers side where the wire from the hitch connection ends and connect there. Haven't looked any further yet.

On another note, on the way back from our last trip where I took along my new to me trailer and at my last gas stop I noticed that the rear bumper was not parallel to the body. Upon closer inspection the hitch was bending down some. I do have a hitch extension that I put the spare on which adds leverage to the receiver.

When I got home and looked carefully under the back of the frame I realized that the final extension the factory installed was actually bending. It was unfortunately made of thinner metal and held the bumper and class three hitch. I ended up jacking the hitch up to straighten it close to what it was and then beefed it up.

I probably had 400-500 lbs of tongue weight since I didn't really try to balance the load out but a class 3 receiver should handle that but the flimsy frame extension didn't like it.

So be careful when towing a trailer and expecting everything to be okay. We traveled almost 2K distance and did bend it a little but I fixed it.

Ed
Old 08-24-2022, 02:49 AM   #4

THOR #26048
Thank you All.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #5

THOR #26048
2022 Vegas 24.1 Brake Controller

Hello All,
I have looked everywhere for the Brake cpntorller plug under the dash and elswhere around the front of the Coach.
Can anyone assist with where they may have hidden it on the 2022?

Thanks You in advance.
jeepfyxer@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I think you're gonna have to keep on digging. I attached a line drawing of the brake controller plug noting some of the connection. If I recall it's about 1-1.25" wide. It might be wrapped up in foam padding and tucked in somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_controller_connection.png
Views:	44
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	40252  
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #10717
My 2018 Vegas 24.1 does not have a brak controller harness so I had to run new wires for some of the controller wires. You can also look into some of my other posts and searches on this forum for more info. Basically you will need a 12 or 10 awg from +12V and also another large wire from the brake controller to the 7 pin trailer harness. The reason for such a large wire is that the runs are really long.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
My 2018 Vegas 24.1 does not have a brak controller harness so I had to run new wires for some of the controller wires. You can also look into some of my other posts and searches on this forum for more info. Basically you will need a 12 or 10 awg from +12V and also another large wire from the brake controller to the 7 pin trailer harness. The reason for such a large wire is that the runs are really long.
and the current to the electric brakes can be large.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #10717
You got me curious now so i looked up some wiring specs for brake controllers- from the website here for a dual axle trailer-
https://www.elecbrakes.com/blog/can-...ergency%20stop.

This means that a double axle brake system would be drawing a maximum of 16 amps for a full emergency stop

Then going here:

https://wiringproducts.com/pages/wir...capacity-chart

For 15 amps, at 25 ft, you would need 8 awg wire.

I think i have 8 awg wiring on my trailer wiring, which has been working well for over 4 years towing a dual axle car trailer.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #28381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
My 2018 Vegas 24.1 does not have a brake controller harness so I had to run new wires for some of the controller wires.
My 2023 Vegas 24.1 is the same. The connector on the frame rail below the drivers seat is still where the brake wire from the hitch is terminated. Note that on these new V8 equipped models, that connector is now wrapped in heat shielding material which must be unclipped from the frame before you can access the connector and it's wire.

Jim
Old 12-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #11

THOR #26048
Found a solution for the brake controller on 2022 Vegas 24.1 . A curt wireless brake controller. Just have to 12 volts at the the factory 7 pin.
Thanks again
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221211_152536_Chrome.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	40344
Old 12-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #12

THOR #26048
I think I found a solution to the brake controller.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...22800883127122

wireless brake controller
Old 12-27-2022, 06:25 PM   #13

THOR #26048
wireless break controller

I think I found the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfyxer@gmail.com View Post
I think I found a solution to the brake controller.

wireless brake controller
Old 12-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfyxer@gmail.com View Post
I think I found the solution
Yeah, third time you said that in this thread.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:27 AM   #15
Fil

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #28802
Direct connect brake Controller - 2017 Axis 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDaniels View Post
The connector on the frame rail below the driver's seat is still where the brake wire from the hitch is terminated. Note that on these new V8 equipped models, that connector is now wrapped in heat shielding material which must be unclipped from the frame before you can access the connector and its wire.
Jim
The easiest thing to do is to pull the wire out of the harness before it reaches the connector. You can then splice into this wire (I just cut it and did a butt splice) to the proportional signal wire from the brake controller. I chose to run this up under the doghouse engine cover and into the dashboard.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed FV racer View Post
On another note, on the way back from our last trip where I took along my new to me trailer and at my last gas stop I noticed that the rear bumper was not parallel to the body. Upon closer inspection the hitch was bending down some. I do have a hitch extension that I put the spare on which adds leverage to the receiver.

When I got home and looked carefully under the back of the frame I realized that the final extension the factory installed was actually bending. It was unfortunately made of thinner metal and held the bumper and class three hitch. I ended up jacking the hitch up to straighten it close to what it was and then beefed it up.

I probably had 400-500 lbs of tongue weight since I didn't really try to balance the load out but a class 3 receiver should handle that but the flimsy frame extension didn't like it.

So be careful when towing a trailer and expecting everything to be okay. We traveled almost 2K distance and did bend it a little but I fixed it.

Ed
I had a similar problem with a bike rack on my Tiffin Allegro. I had a custom dual receiver extension made to hold the bike reck and connect the Toad Jeep Grand Cherokee. The total weight of the rack and the bikes was probably about 220# or so well within the load range of the hitch. After a year or so towing I noticed the hitch was drooping. It turned out the longer drawbar gave enough leverage to bend and start tearing the frame. As a result, I now, just carry the bikes on the Toad class 4 hitch.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote