Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
When I bought my Vegas they did not have a controller, but had Thor send one plus the adapter for under the dash hookup. Have not been able to find where it plugs, so will take to my great independent dealer and let him do his magic.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #22

State: Michigan
THOR #1812
I just wired my Vegas for a brake controller. Did a LOT of research, and found out that, while Ford 350/450 chopped vans (class C) have factory controller wiring ( a harness under the dash), the stripped van chassis ( like our Axis/Vegas ) DO NOT 😡 - does not make much sense- Ford must not think we tow anything....

The rear plug is wired for all of the lights. The brake control wire ( and charge wire) is wired to the plug and goes forward in the harness to the main wiring connection below the drivers seat- next to the transmission. I spliced into the brake wire just rearward of the connector. My findings correlate to what the Thor rep said.

All said , I spent about half a day tracing the wiring, because I couldn't believe Ford would not complete the wiring job on the stripped Van like ALL OF THE OTHER VANS -and like all other manufacturers do on all other trucks - but , alas, it is true. Believe it !
Old 09-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: British Columbia
THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9841 View Post
Today I installed my break controller. I can truly say that this was an adventure. First of all, my unit came with a 4 way flat plug, therefore, I had to find the wires on the back of the coach to wire the up a 7 way flat. After researching and calling Dave (thanks Dave). I finally understood the wiring. I was able to connect the blue (break wire) to the trailer connector and run a black (12v) wire from the back of the coach to the front. I installed a 30 amp reset fuse before connecting to the positive port on the battery. After working into the evening with daylight dwindling, I connected the break controller to the wiring harness and (thank god) the break controller recognized the trailer. The wiring harness for the 2016 ACE was located on the left side of the steering column.
For having absolutely no experience with wiring, I am proud to report that after 7 hours and 2 runs to Lowes I finished my project.
Thanks for this thread. I have an '07 Hurricane on the F53 with a factory 4-pin plug. I needed to add a 7-blade and a brake controller for a new tow dolly. I found the gray harness very tightly wrapped under the dash to the left of the column. You virtually have to remove the dash so you can use two hands to locate the plug. When you do, the controller harness plugs right in easily. My problem is that underneath the coach, about 8 feet back of the firewall, there is a blue wire and a white wire that Ford has terminated with butt connectors. The blue wire should be the brake control wire. I'm assumed that the white wire would be the power, and that it should run back to connect to the black power lead at the back of my new 7 blade plug. So I wired the white wire to the power wire at the plug. When I tested the connection, the wired started to melt on the tow Dolly's battery break-away!! Any ideas? Was the Ford white wire really power?? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: British Columbia
THOR #5367
F53 Trailer wires

i need some wiring help. I have an '07 Hurricane on the F53 with a factory 4-pin plug. I needed to add a 7-blade and a brake controller for a new tow dolly. I found the gray harness very tightly wrapped under the dash to the left of the column. You virtually have to remove the dash so you can use two hands to locate the plug. When you do, the controller harness plugs right in easily. My problem is that underneath the coach, about 8 feet back of the firewall, there is a blue wire and a white wire that Ford has terminated with butt connectors. The blue wire should be the brake control wire. I'm assumed that the white wire would be the power, and that it should run back to connect to the black power lead at the back of my new 7 blade plug. So I wired the white wire to the power wire at the plug. When I tested the connection, the wired started to melt on the tow Dolly's battery break-away!! Any ideas? Was the Ford white wire really power?? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
Have been doing all my driving during the day since I have had the coach. Towing my golf cart trailer yesterday, got home at dusk and realized my trailer running lights weren't on. Brake and turn signal lights work fine.
Have been Cruising this thread looking for the answer... but can not find.
Help if you can, thanks in advance
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #26

THOR #1812
My Vegas 24.1 had all the lights correctly wired from the factory. Guess all I can recommend is to check to make sure the coach wiring is dead ( can often be the trailer) , then start tracing the wiring. There is a connector near the gas tank and one below the drivers seat ( under the coach ) , or wire could be broken anywhere . Good luck !!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Do you have a Trailer test plug. Its a cheap tester to see if the problem is in your camper or in your trailer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
Yes, have test plug and trailer lights work fine on my Chevy truck... I did my best to find any wires that might be loose at the switch/bumper and any where in between. I'll call Thor tomorrow and see if their any help.... kinda sucks! I guess I'm lucky thou, everything else works fine....2nd owner. And at 18,500 miles.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #29

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2753
We completed our first long, 6 week, trip in October. And we recently began towing an 18 ft cargo trailer. Kept having a problem dragging and damaging the trailer jack when leaving some parking lots. In Georgia I noticed that the wiring harness cable was chewed up, still can't figure out how the happened. So we immediately went to a repair shop. The cable was repaired and all lights worked except the brake lights. And I know they had been working as we checked them often.
The repair guy traced the wire from the 7 pin plug going forward. For some reason still yet unexplained, there was a dead spot about a foot or so back from the plug. This area should have not been damaged from anything we did to the trailer jack. The repair guy simply made a little jumper wire around the dead spot and all was well. He did say there was a bird nest of wires under the rear of our unit. I need to spend some time and clean it up but haven't gotten around to it yet.