Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
CR-V Battery Upgrade

I have a 2012 Honda CR-V that I recently set up for towing. The original battery only lasted about 3 years, and I bought a "gold" level replacement battery, which lasted less than 3 years. It had a 3-year warranty, so I got a free replacement. Since this car eats batteries, and the stock battery is about the size of a lawn tractor battery, I upsized to a group 24 size battery. It was the same price as the smaller battery, so the auto parts store let me get the larger battery for the warranty replacement.

I got a battery tray and battery cover for a Honda Odyssey, and it all fit into the CR-V just fine using the existing hold-down. The negative battery cable is tight, but it fits.

This will give me some additional reserve capacity and less worry about the toad battery going dead. I also have a Hopkins Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer installed, but the bigger battery seems like a worthwhile upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crvbattery.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	10720  

Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Do you have a trickle charger on the toad battery? One of the 7 wires that comes back from the RV is 12V. I have mine wired to the trickle charger.

Since the toad break system and steering unlock requires me to keep the toad key in the ON position, the charger keeps the toad battery charged.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Do you have a trickle charger on the toad battery? One of the 7 wires that comes back from the RV is 12V. I have mine wired to the trickle charger.

Yes, that is the Hopkins Battery Maintainer that I mentioned in my post. I haven't actually towed the CR-V yet, but plan to for our big summer trip. I need to hook it up and test everything out soon.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #4

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
My CRV tows very nicely. When I need a battery I'll work to get more capacity like you did with a size 24. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:26 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The factory battery on my 2011 CR-V lasted 7 years. It finally crapped out 2 months ago so I stuck in one from Wally world. I figured Wally is every where and he has a no questions asked 3 year warranty. We are on our second CR-V toad, they tow wonderfully by the way.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote