Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
After having seen such a double towing rig a few years ago, I asked a Florida Highway Patrol officer about the legality. He said as long as the total did not exceed 65 feet, it was legal. I would be tempted to stop and measure some I have seen.
As mentioned, "Braver than I!" to try towing such a rig.
CasaLoca in Maine this month
The FHP trooper is in error it is against the law in FL, they were issuing citations on hwys 19/98, 301 and 441 last spring north of Ocala. Didn't hear about any on I-75.

Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah on the Ohio turnpike you'll also frequently see 3 trailer truck "trains" as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
A 65-foot limit on total length seems too short considering 53-foot semi trailers are fairly common.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #24

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
The FHP trooper is in error it is against the law in FL, they were issuing citations on hwys 19/98, 301 and 441 last spring north of Ocala. Didn't hear about any on I-75.
The length of combination veh. is dependent on whether or not that the route in question is a STAA aproved (commercial designated) route..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:45 AM   #25

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #6162
I've seen the triples in Kansas on the Turnpike and I-70. They are connected with a dolly under the second and third trailers that are coupled with a pintle hitch. If I remember correctly they have to stay pretty much on the freeway and break them down if going to terminal in a city.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:28 AM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
I've seen the triples in Kansas on the Turnpike and I-70. They are connected with a dolly under the second and third trailers that are coupled with a pintle hitch. If I remember correctly they have to stay pretty much on the freeway and break them down if going to terminal in a city.
yes !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #27

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The length of combination veh. is dependent on whether or not that the route in question is a STAA aproved (commercial designated) route..
This is why having a Trucker's Atlas is so important if you have a large fiver or large MH pulling a trailer. The atlas details "designated" truck routes where certain lengths, widths, and weights are legal.

It gets pretty confusing for RVers. Our rigs are "not for hire" and do not fall under Federal Commercial regulations. However, states enforce those regulations plus they have their own, sometimes similar, regulations for non-commercial vehicles. For example, total number of tows and how long the combination can be. Add to that each state is a little different and it presents more problems to traveling RVers.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #28

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Gotta agree - it's fine until it isn't. Saw a full sized (41'+) Cedar Creek Fiver with a golf cart on a small 2 wheel trailer being pulled by a 3/4 ton pickup (single axle). OMG. Just glad it wasn't us.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #29

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Can this set up be backed up. I'm not the best at backing up 1 trailer let alone 2.
Flat Towing just a car, (4 down) the Tow Bar manufacturers say to never back up.. Due to caster the wheels will whip to the side when backing up and this puts a huge strain on the tow bar and attachment points. I was able to back up a foot or two by watching the steering wheel in the rear camera. Not something someone in the towed vehicle can control. The rear overhang on an RV puts a lot of side force on the tow bar connection as soon as the vehicles are not aligned.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #30

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Towing mutltiple items is legal in all state IF the driver has a commnercial drivers licence. And "NO" one does not back up.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #31

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Towing mutltiple items is legal in all state IF the driver has a commnercial drivers licence. And "NO" one does not back up.
This is where it gets confusing for folks. The above statement is false. For example, in Illinois it won't matter what license you have it you try to drive through the state in your F150 towing two boats on trailers. Or, if you come through in your class C towing your Jeep 4-down with a small trailer behind the Jeep. The ISP Trooper will stop you and the combination will not be allowed to continue down the road and it has nothing to do with having a regular license or a commercial license.

Now if you come through Illinois with your fifth wheel combination (truck pulling fiver) and you have a hitched trailer on the back of your fifth wheel trailer, then you are good to go, and again it doesn't matter what driver's license you have. The first hitch is a plated (fifth wheel) type hitch and the second can be a ball hitch. You will see this combination in Illinois and many other states. Commercial trucker's refer to them as "double bottoms".

Commercial Driver's License (CDL's) are just that generally. If you are working "for hire" driving a truck, or for that matter a small passenger van, then you need one. Most states do not require you to have any type of special license, including CDL's, for driving large RV's with or without trailers attached.

Like I stated in an earlier post, it is confusing anyway for RVers and then you consider each state is a little different and it gets really hard to understand for traveling RVers.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #32

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5913
Never seen someone double pull in Pennsylvania! I don't think you would make it ten feet before someone called the police.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #33

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Here is a good list by state for towing:

State Towing Laws

Good tip on towing a vehicle I learned from someone many years ago: wrap a piece of white tape or tie a bright ribbon around the top of the steering wheel. If your camera is halfway decent you can see the tape, allows you to back up a short distance if needed, you can tell when your steering wheel turns and then stop before you do any damage. From experience I can tell you you won't get very far.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #34

Model: S.O.B.
State: Delaware
THOR #2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandT View Post
Never seen someone double pull in Pennsylvania! I don't think you would make it ten feet before someone called the police.
I know of a guy from the Allentown area that tows his 5thwheel with a full size Volvo tractor and tows a Jeep behind the 5th wheel. We met at Oak Creek once as we tow with a Kenworth but carry a Smart on the deck between truck & camper. Only state on the east coast that allows towing a second trailer ( non commercial ) is Md.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I've pulled doubles between Indiana and Utah legally and safely. Pulling with a SRW vs DRW doesn't make it less safe. The back trailer does not require brakes in most states when it's 3000 or less and I've been routed through the scales on more than one trip and deemed legal and within limits. Backing is not that difficult. We've all seen people who can't back in one so they should probably avoid two. There are numerous pull through sites across the country that were plenty long to handle my rig. It's clearly not for everyone... and clearly not everyone doing it is qualified or operating safe and legal. I'm a noncommercial vehicle so I follow the appropriate laws. I guarantee my rig was for more safe than many of the travel trailers and 5th wheels you see whipping around behind small SUVs and pickups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0149.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	4208  
Old 04-29-2017, 03:43 AM   #36

THOR #2121
On way home today I saw this combo in Louisiana which reminded me of the OP picture. Because third rig is on a dolly instead of being a trailer, it's probably even worse. Also, in OP picture, the lead is a larger and heavier motorhome pulling smaller vehicles. In this case the lead vehicle was much lighter than what it was pulling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4172.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	4778  
Old 04-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #37

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
SuperD thanks for the link. Safety first is my motto. None of those double trailers look safe to me for any RV. It would have to be a massive lead tractor for me to even consider something like that. BE SAFE ALL.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #38

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Illegal in PA

Here is a link listing what states allow doubles towing.

https://rvingiseasyatlerchrv.com/201...in-your-state/

Pennsylvania is my home state and pulling 2 trailers is illegal with some exceptions. Here is the PA Vehicle code listing it.

§ 4904. Limits on number of towed vehicles.
(a) General rule.--No motor vehicle shall be operated upon a highway towing more than one other vehicle except as otherwise provided in this section.
(b) Farm tractors.--Farm tractors may tow no more than two other vehicles when engaged in agricultural operations.
(c) Towing vehicles requiring service.--
(1) A dolly not exceeding ten feet in length may be towed by a motor vehicle for the purpose of towing another vehicle requiring service.
(2) A combination requiring emergency service may be towed to a nearby garage or other place of safety.
(d) Saddle-mount operations.--Not more than three truck tractors, empty trucks or chassis therefor, may be towed by a truck tractor, truck or the chassis thereof, provided that only the rear wheels of the drawn vehicles shall touch the road surface and the overall length of the combination does not exceed 75 feet.
(e) Two-trailer combinations on interstate and certain other highways.--Combinations consisting of a truck tractor and two trailers may be driven only as described in section 4908 (relating to operation of certain combinations on interstate and certain other highways).
(f) Tow dollies and converter gears.--A tow dolly or converter gear may be towed by a motor vehicle for the purpose of towing another vehicle, provided the combination meets all requirements of section 4905 (relating to safety requirements for towed vehicles) and separate lighting equipment is displayed on the rear of a towed motor vehicle. A converter gear may also be towed empty behind a combination consisting of a truck tractor and semitrailer.
(g) Combinations permitted under section 4965(2).--Combinations permitted only to cross a highway to get from one commercial or industrial facility to another under section 4965(2) (relating to single permits for multiple highway crossings) may consist of more than two units as long as the dimensions and gross axle and wheel weight of the combination and loads do not exceed the maximums specified in this chapter.
(h) Certain combinations permitted under section 4968.--Combinations consisting of a truck and one trailer or a truck tractor and one trailer which exceeds the maximum vehicle lengths authorized in section 4923 (relating to length of vehicles) and which shall not exceed 102 inches in width, or a truck tractor and no more than two trailers, each trailer of which shall not exceed 102 inches in width and 28 1/2 feet in length may be operated under a permit issued under section 4968 (relating to permit for movement during course of manufacture).
(i) Portable traffic control signals or devices.--Portable traffic control signals mounted upon a trailer not exceeding 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight may be operated in tandem as long as the length of the two trailers combined does not exceed 300 inches and the trailers are designed by the manufacturer to be able to be towed in tandem on public roadways.
(July 1, 1981, P.L.197, No.60, eff. imd.; July 7, 1983, P.L.32, No.19, eff. imd.; July 11, 1985, P.L.204, No.52, eff. 90 days; Nov. 29, 1985, P.L.316, No.81, eff. 60 days; July 9, 1986, P.L.544, No.96, eff. 60 days; Feb. 10, 1994, P.L.10, No.2, eff. imd.; Apr. 17, 1997, P.L.6, No.3, eff. 60 days; Oct. 24, 2012, P.L.1307, No.163, eff. 60 days)
Old 04-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #39

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Allowable legal total length in most states is 60 - 65 feet. A few states allow 70 - 75, and there are a couple like DC that limits to 55 feet. Going over that, is at your own risk, and IMO not very smart.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #40

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
There are plenty of unsafe rigs out there that are not so obvious. Many of the SUVs and 1/2 ton towables are far more dangerous on the road that the scary looking doubles. Many of these setups are more like the tail wagging the dog and that makes them extremely dangerous.