Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Leaving Texas yesterday morning there was a large Class C (probably 31~32 ft) towing a Jeep Wranger, and the Jeep was towing a small trailer with two jet skis.

It was making a left turn at light, and it handled the intersection without any issues whatsoever. The Jeep tracked behind MH like any other toad, and the trailer followed the Jeep just like if Jeep was being driven.

First thought was that even without the Jeep and Jet Skis it was a lot of motorhome for an E-450, but it surprisingly maneuvered just fine in traffic.

I had seen double rigs on highways before, but this was first one I recall seeing in city traffic. It also reminded me of this thread.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Be very careful. In most states it requires a Commercial Drivers License to drive a rig with multiple trailers.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #43

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Braver than me

Doesn't look safe to me hope no one gets hurt or even killed because of something like that looks like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen once upon a time I was a truck driver you had to have a special license to drive doubles the whip factor on the rear vehicle is a great concern
Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Just because something is legal, and can be done: it doesn't mean that it's smart...
You have to know and understand the legal implications of your actions, and then add in your own personal limitations.

As for me: I'd rather not tow anything... that's why I bought the RV that I did!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #45

State: Texas
THOR #2121
For me the biggest safety concern is a 32-Ft Class C on an E-450; which is likely near the chassis max load rating, making it fairly dangerous in itself. Beyond that, towing a Wrangler (with good brakes) that pulls a couple of jet skis (assuming also with good brakes) doesn’t seem much different than pulling a 6,000-pound pickup or similar vehicle. Other than extra length concerns, I don’t believe it would be inherently unstable.

I think visually it looks a lot more dangerous, but in this case I’d bet it was very stable because Jeeps have very short rear overhangs, and boat trailers are also normally very stable when set up correctly. By comparison, I would never attempt towing a boat or car behind a 5er or camping trailer.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #46

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
This parks (Oasis RV Resort just west of Amarillo) sites were long enough they didn't unhook, but it's one of only a few in the country they could do it.
Yeah, West of Amarillo they got some out of business gas stations or long gone businesses that are big parking lots now for overnite.