Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Flat Towing Mini Coopers

Looking at flat towing a 2015 Mini Cooper/manual transmission. I know Mini doesn't recommend that and makes the warranty void but wondering if anyone is flat towing a newer Mini without regard to the warranty.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Probably only those willing to pay for a new engine/transmission package or steering components. Why would anyone want to do that?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #11144
I guess I didn’t explain well enough. If you flat tow a Mini that isn’t under warranty and have an issue you would still have to pay for repairs. I talked someone that was towing a mini and still had 6 months left on their warranty. They were taking a chance for 6 months and then after that they are on their own anyways. I understand that Minindiesnt recommend it for any Mini. Blue Ox does offer a baseplate for Minis however.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

State: New York
THOR #5330
But even if it wasn't under warranty, why would you want to gamble $4000. to $8000 on repairs that probably could have been avoided by using a dolly?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We dolly tow our 2015 Mini CooperS (automatic) and had some issues with the computer throwing up a bunch of errors after it had been towed. Only happened about half the time but we got errors such as "TPMS Failure", "Drive Train Malfunction" and "ABS Failure". The errors would go away after driving it for a couple of miles. Last year we changed the way we were tying down the steering wheel and didn't get any more errors.

I mentioned this problem to a Mini service advisor, thinking that they might have a software update, and he said "Don't tell me about that ever again" and said that Mini doesn't support even dolly towing (though the manual says tow with the front wheels off the ground). While this is a different case than yours, the point is that Mini doesn't want you towing their cars. I do see various postings here and on IRV2 that people do it all the time.

This is going to be moot case for us as we are very close to saying goodbye to Mini (with a tear or two) and moving to a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that we can tow 4 down.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #8606
If the Mini has a manual transmission, why would it be an issue to tow?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We tow a Miata, and Mazda says you can't. About 8K now. We towed our last one about 50K, and they said you couldn't tow it either. It is a 6 speed manual, and we have heard that the 5 speed can't, due to a difference in the way the gears run in the oil bath.

I did a lot of research on the web before taking the plunge, and found several folks who had done just what I wanted to do. I am not a big fan of being a pioneer, but I don't mind being an early adapter!

Mazda probably was concerned about having to cover warranty problems that they perceived towing might create, more than having that as a marketing advantage to only a few of us.

BTW, I have the baseplate from my '02 Miata, if anyone is interested. Didn't fit my '11.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I dolly towed my old Focus Electric a few times (something Ford says not to do as well). Since it was FWD and the rear end was the same as a gas Focus (which can be dolly towed) I figured I'd give it a try.

Oooh boy the electronics were not happy. The ABS, traction control, etc. all freaked out when I started it after towing it for a few miles. The best I could figure is that the sensors on the rear wheels didn't read the same as when I turned the car off--but the front wheels did--in other words the car remembered the position of the rear wheels between the key cycles and freaked out when the rear wheels had been moved.

A few key cycles later and everything was happy again.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We have noticed a few Mini's being towed 4 down, but they are far and few between. We travel with a Harley plus our Mini so a trailer was the way we went.

For around the same money as setting up the Blue Ox on a Mini and worrying about damaging it, you could get an aluminum easy load open trailer. There would be some negatives of course, but then you could also be able to back your rig up if needed.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
I tow a 2005 mini 4 down going on my 3rd year without issue. It is a great little car, fun to drive and easy to tow. I have seen several others with mini's newer than mine being towed 4 down. Why deal with a trailer or dolly if you don't have too.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #11277
Does your mini have a manual or automatic transmission?