Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2021, 04:13 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FourWinds
State: Ontario
THOR #21045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
I towed my 2020 Rubicon 500 miles and when I stopped and went to disconnect the tow bar I could smell burning rubber. I only have 4000 miles on the jeep, and I lifted the hood to see if there was anything burning and it was all good. When I started the jeep the smell was strong through the vents for a few minutes. I smelled the burned rubber for about 30 minutes and it diminished after we drove the jeep around. After the return home, another 500 miles, it had the burning smell again.

I just think it is the tire scuffing because the rubicon tires are so agressive. Coming into the neghborhood the tires get a lot of turns just before pulling in. Can anyone tell me if that is normal. I am a newby to the Toad world. I also tow a Grand Cherokee which doesn't have that tire smell. Much smaller and less aggressive tread.

Parking brake was off, transfer case was in neutral, and transmission in Park. it rolls very easy and the XG32 hardly notices that it is back there.
When I was investigating flat towing, there was a statement on one site that said one should tow for 200 miles at most then stop to let the transmission of the toad cool down.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:29 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
What would be the point of towing if you had to stop every 200 miles?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #23

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16577
its a Jeep thing

I noticed the smell like plastic or rubber burning with my new Jeep Cherokee after towing. People tell me it is just a "Jeep thing". Road gasses and exhaust accumulate under the Jeep and burn off once you start driving it again. Do not know why Jeeps are more susceptible. I understand the cabin intake air brings it in. I did have a much smaller version of the smell with a Focus I used to tow. It apparently is not a problem.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #15410
I have a 2018 rubicon and it does not have a locked steering wheel. I have aggressive tires on it as well. I have never noticed a smell. What about the auxiliary brake system? I use the patriot with no problems
Old 01-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Illinois
THOR #17971
Rubber Smell

Just a shot in the dark, but is there a chance you are experiencing a slight amount of "death wobble" that would cause some tire scrubbing? We never had the problem with our TJ but ????
Old 01-11-2021, 03:05 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have had similar experience. 2014 Rubu had strong rubber smell after we drove 250 miles, quick unhook and drive around. I took it to the dealer, nothing. And has happened a few times since. On many other trip, I notice a strong rubber smell around the rear tires of my motorhome. Maybe that it it?
Old 01-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #27

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
I get the same smell after starting my generator after a long drive the muffler picks up the rubber from the road, The same on a toad, that's where the rubber on used tires go.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 31WV
State: West Virginia
THOR #20945
Unlock steering! We had steering locking pin removed from our 2002 Wrangler ignition switch. So much easier!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:32 AM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelWV View Post
Unlock steering! We had steering locking pin removed from our 2002 Wrangler ignition switch. So much easier!

I’ll have to see if I can figure out how to do that on my TJ. I hate having to leave a key in the ignition. Just too tempting for BGs when you stop. And there’s always the risk of forgetting.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:47 AM   #30

THOR #20945
i had an electrical issue with ignition switch. Just asked mechanic to eliminate pin while he was changing out electrical side of switch.

Twice we have been towing over rough roads (like parts of I-10) and had the steering lock. Some say we didn't have it in right position but we are confident it bumped/bounced into lock, Eats up tires in a big hurry.

So, operator error or loose ignition switch, don't have to sweat it now!
Old 02-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #31

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelWV View Post
The new Jeep has a keyless ignition so there isn't a steering wheel lock. It was simply road dust and rubber building up on the exhaust. It is worse after a longer tow. Several other people on this forum verified that.

I wonder if you have a Jeep with an RFID key, (most keys after 2005) just get a key that will turn the tumbler, that isn't programmed, it won't start, but it will release the locking pin. Much cheaper than having a pin released.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:53 AM   #32

THOR #20945
Ours is a 2002, good idea for many folks with newer ones.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #33

THOR #6826
My Jeep is a 2004 and uses a plain key. Did a quick search about how to remove the locking tab and it looks like an interesting little DIY project. I might buy some new parts to try it with before I take mine apart. Cheap enough and since most of the assembly is plastic and mine is 17 years old it might be good preventive maintenance to use some new switch parts. Glad to see the thread steer me to this simple and useful mod!
Old 02-17-2021, 05:44 AM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #10528
We were new to towing a toad; purchased a manual transmission Subaru Crosstrek. We spoke at length to a factory guy to make sure we could flat tow it (as the manual says otherwise). Anyway, like so many of you, I noticed a burned rubber-like smell once we started to drive it after towing. After telling my hubby this, he sniffed and checked everything...he has no idea where it's coming from, and told me to ignore it. It does go away when we drive it for awhile after it's been towed. I can't help but wonder, when the cause of the smell rears it's ugly head.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:25 PM   #35
CDA

Model: Palazzo 33.6
THOR #23007
I have a Palazzo 33.6 and tow my 13' Rubicon with bigger tires. My jeep does not smell like burnt rubber but diesel exhaust as I get soot from the motorhome's exhaust all over the front of the jeep. That smells - looking at a possible full bra setup that covers the front and all the way up over the windshield.

Also - not sure what year it started but at least 2013 - current wranglers do not have steering locks. You can lock the doors and not have the key switch on when towing
CDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #36

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA View Post
I have a Palazzo 33.6 and tow my 13' Rubicon with bigger tires. My jeep does not smell like burnt rubber but diesel exhaust as I get soot from the motorhome's exhaust all over the front of the jeep. That smells - looking at a possible full bra setup that covers the front and all the way up over the windshield.

Also - not sure what year it started but at least 2013 - current wranglers do not have steering locks. You can lock the doors and not have the key switch on when towing

I don’t know either when Jeep discontinued steering locks but my 2004 had one. Turns out it’s pretty easy to remove the locking pin from the ignition switch actuator. I came very close to forgetting to unlock the steering one morning before getting back on the road and resolved to eliminate that particular necessity going forward. In the process I also inadvertently discovered that it would be pretty easy jack one of these using only a flat blade screwdriver! But that’s another story....
Old 04-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #37

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BlindMice View Post
We were new to towing a toad; purchased a manual transmission Subaru Crosstrek. We spoke at length to a factory guy to make sure we could flat tow it (as the manual says otherwise). Anyway, like so many of you, I noticed a burned rubber-like smell once we started to drive it after towing. After telling my hubby this, he sniffed and checked everything...he has no idea where it's coming from, and told me to ignore it. It does go away when we drive it for awhile after it's been towed. I can't help but wonder, when the cause of the smell rears it's ugly head.
It is simply rubber and road stuff bathing your engine in tidbits of tar, rubber, sage brush, boogers, and your rv's junk. The longer you drive the more good stuff gets on there. Mine is really smelly the longer I tow. Under 100 miles no smell. It happens when the TOAD gets hot on the first drive after being towed. Something my Mom never told me.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Strange smells mean nothing to me...

...But the sounds can be intriguing.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #39
CDA

Model: Palazzo 33.6
THOR #23007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I don’t know either when Jeep discontinued steering locks but my 2004 had one. Turns out it’s pretty easy to remove the locking pin from the ignition switch actuator. I came very close to forgetting to unlock the steering one morning before getting back on the road and resolved to eliminate that particular necessity going forward. In the process I also inadvertently discovered that it would be pretty easy jack one of these using only a flat blade screwdriver! But that’s another story....
Doing a quick search and I am seeing early 08's locked and later 08's did not. 2009 to current do not lock.
CDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #40

THOR #20945
2002 Wranglers Steering Locked

Ours no longer does. Took out the pin and sure makes hitching up so much easier. As far as jacking one with screwdriver . . I haven't tried yet!