Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Burning Rubber Smell on Toad?

I towed my 2020 Rubicon 500 miles and when I stopped and went to disconnect the tow bar I could smell burning rubber. I only have 4000 miles on the jeep, and I lifted the hood to see if there was anything burning and it was all good. When I started the jeep the smell was strong through the vents for a few minutes. I smelled the burned rubber for about 30 minutes and it diminished after we drove the jeep around. After the return home, another 500 miles, it had the burning smell again.

I just think it is the tire scuffing because the rubicon tires are so agressive. Coming into the neghborhood the tires get a lot of turns just before pulling in. Can anyone tell me if that is normal. I am a newby to the Toad world. I also tow a Grand Cherokee which doesn't have that tire smell. Much smaller and less aggressive tread.

Parking brake was off, transfer case was in neutral, and transmission in Park. it rolls very easy and the XG32 hardly notices that it is back there.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you check to see if your wheel hubs were hot?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #3

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you check to see if your wheel hubs were hot?
I didn't. it was more of a rubber smell than burning oil or plastic. I thought the wiring for the charge to my battery from the 6 Pin was it, but all that wiring was cool to the touch and working.

I will check that next time. thanks
Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Did you check to make sure the steering was unlocked?
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Did you check to make sure the steering was unlocked?
It has a keyless ignition and the wheels move freely when cornering. So I just leave the vehicle off. I will check that to see if that's the problem.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've had a toad on the back of my motorhome since 1999. Sometimes I smell burnt rubber when I start up the toad. Sometimes, the toad smells like the truck isle at a Pilot truck stop. Most times, it smells like nothing. I would suggest you check the tire temps of the motorhome and the toad after your next trip. Compare them to tire temps from normal usage. You may be right about tire scrub, but would that scrub make it into your vents? Is the scrub from the toad or coach? Was it a rainy day? Lots of variables could lead to an odor after a long tow.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I tow a 2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL with the Magnitude SV34... so basically the same setup. I have not had any issues like that.

Have you checked your tires on the Magnitude to make sure no issues there?

I added mudflaps to my SV34 and I found the stock short plastic ones from Thor were loose and flopping around because they stripped the sheet metal screws used to mount them.... as they usually do... from having their screw guns on max torque. Might want to check that one of the mudflaps wasn't rubbing a tire.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #8

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I tow a 2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL with the Magnitude SV34... so basically the same setup. I have not had any issues like that.

Have you checked your tires on the Magnitude to make sure no issues there?

I added mudflaps to my SV34 and I found the stock short plastic ones from Thor were loose and flopping around because they stripped the sheet metal screws used to mount them.... as they usually do... from having their screw guns on max torque. Might want to check that one of the mudflaps wasn't rubbing a tire.
I know this may sound stupid, but do you unlock the steering wheel, or just tow with the ignition off? Asking for a friend
Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 PM   #9

THOR #1249
I have the same slight burnt rubber smell in my toad after towing. Seems to last for a few minutes after first driving. It has done this ever since I have been towing, but it does not seem to be a problem.
Just a WAG is that small bits of road rubber is kicked up by the coach and perhaps gets into the brake rotor area and gets hot and smells.
If anyone knows for sure, a few of us would like to hear it.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:03 AM   #10

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I have the same slight burnt rubber smell in my toad after towing. Seems to last for a few minutes after first driving. It has done this ever since I have been towing, but it does not seem to be a problem.
Just a WAG is that small bits of road rubber is kicked up by the coach and perhaps gets into the brake rotor area and gets hot and smells.
I was thinking that it was bits of road rubber tossed onto the manifold and exhaust, then burning off after it is started. I don't smell it until I start the TOAD. It smells like a nascar race after a spinny flippy thingy.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:28 AM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
I know this may sound stupid, but do you unlock the steering wheel, or just tow with the ignition off? Asking for a friend

Mine is like yours...... push button start and the steering does not lock.

I am towing with the ignition off.... transfer case in neutral.... transmission in park and parking brake off.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:01 AM   #12

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Get a laser thermometer, $30 at Harbor Freight, less on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...%2C222&sr=8-10

Makes it easy to check tires, brakes, bearings, mud flaps, etc.
I use ours almost everytime we stop.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:15 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
From what I've read in other forums its a common thing and not a problem

I get the smell sometimes on my wrangler

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We get the same small towing our wrangler. Basically the vehicle is collecting the road grime and rubber. Normally when you are driving it immediately burns off. In this case it’s collecting 500 miles of junk without burning it off until you start driving. The longer the trip the more it will collect. As long as you are sure your brakes aren’t dragging and everything is set up correct I think you are okay.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #15

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
THOR #15943
We've a 2014 Rubicon Toad-only the occasional rubber smell, usually after lots of turns (scuffing). The 2014 requires the steering wheel unlocked, tranny in Park, T-Case in Neutral.
Gary
GVP
Old 01-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Minnesota
THOR #20984
Alignment and tires

I have a 2016 Rubicon and had the same issue when I first started towing it behind my Palazzo 37.4. At the time it had the stock BFG Mud Terrain tires which I later replaced with some take-offs from a new 2020 Rubicon with BFG All Terrains.. The Jeep had some minor alignment issues so I got it properly aligned and had the shop install caster bolts. The stock setup does not allow for any caster adjustments but with a cheap aftermarket fix, I think the bolts were $20 at 4 Wheel Parts, you can get more negative caster. Jeep’s like negative caster. End result: the Jeep drives like it’s on rails and we’ve put over 5k toad miles on it with no more burning rubber smell after I stop. I hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #17

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I experience the same and think this is what it is too.

I think the motorhome stirs up road mung that blows onto the toad undercarriage and bottom of the engine. First few times after toad startup the road mung burns off and this is what we are smelling.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #18

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I know its not rubber but had someone someone ever slightly push the emergency brake pedal and I was overheating the brakes.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #19

THOR #20010
Burning Tires

My problem was more serious. While towing, as I entered an intersection, the tires locked and lots of burning rubber. I noticed that the battery was dead and the transmission went into Park. I also have keyless entry on a Ford Fusion. After reviewing the lights, I think that I left the power switch on and it drained the battery and then went into Park. Since then, I am careful to leave the power switch off and I do stop occasionally and check it out.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #20

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
I towed a Jeep Cherokee for about 18 years before getting a Wrangler. The Cherokee most always had that smell when starting up. I thought maybe it was stuff thrown up on the belts or something. Never had any trouble related to this smell. The Wrangler don’t have that smell.