RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #21
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Show me that in any written policy. You know insurance covers you even when you do stupid things? The only time you are not covered is when you purposely do something to damage the insured item to collect from and defraud the insurance company.



I don't have to show you anything at all.
I don't have to substantiate my statements.
Any intelligent person would do their own research.
But then, any intelligent person wouldn't be driving an overloaded vehicle down the highway, endangering themselves, their families, & the people who share the roadways.
So, no. I'm not going to show you anything at all.
__________________

__________________
Latest rig: 2019 Vegas 24.1
Thor-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,953
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Being in the Insurance Business for 40 years: they don't even know what questions to ask...
.....cut.....
Curious if youíve weighed the new Tiffin yet. You have 11,030 pound chassis, correct? The coach is large and well built (using what looks like heavy materials), so Iím curious how much Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity is left.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #23
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #14807
Maybe this will help you out


Towing: Liability for Overweight Loads


If that doesn't do it for you, may I suggest Google search.




Ignorance is bliss and there's a lot of very happy people in this world.
__________________
Latest rig: 2019 Vegas 24.1
Thor-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
Posts: 28
THOR #7835
Okay here is what I have found out from Ford and Thor.
My GCWR IS 22,000#s. My rear axial IS 9,600#s.
So 22,000#s minus 12,800#s ( fully loaded coach ) leaves 9,200#s for my tow.
The tow is between 3,325 to 3,650 #s curb weight. I do not plan to add much more to the tow. It looks like I am good to go.


I would like to Thank All on this forum for their help and guidance; Imagine having hundreds of years of camping experience all in one place and the advice is free for the asking.
I hope I can be of help to someone in the future.
Thank You again
justcurious
__________________
Justcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #25
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,675
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
Maybe this will help you out


Towing: Liability for Overweight Loads


If that doesn't do it for you, may I suggest Google search.




Ignorance is bliss and there's a lot of very happy people in this world.
Liability is a whole different animal than making an insurance policy null & void. Nobody said you couldn't be held liable for doing something stupid.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,243
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
Okay here is what I have found out from Ford and Thor.
My GCWR IS 22,000#s. My rear axial IS 9,600#s.
So 22,000#s minus 12,800#s ( fully loaded coach ) leaves 9,200#s for my tow.
The tow is between 3,325 to 3,650 #s curb weight. I do not plan to add much more to the tow. It looks like I am good to go.


I would like to Thank All on this forum for their help and guidance; Imagine having hundreds of years of camping experience all in one place and the advice is free for the asking.
I hope I can be of help to someone in the future.
Thank You again
justcurious
Your hitch is likely 8,000#'s so you only have 8k available even though your GCWR has the room.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,501
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
I'm sure the flunky writing the policy doesn't know or care.....
Hold the phone a minute!
Having been that "flunky" for the past 40 years: I deeply resent that characterization...
__________________
"The World is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams."
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,501
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Liability is a whole different animal than making an insurance policy null & void. Nobody said you couldn't be held liable for doing something stupid.
Yup!
There is no "Stupidity" exclusion on the books in ANY State!
__________________
"The World is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams."
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
Posts: 28
THOR #7835
calculating weight for towing toad

WOW, some of the comments are getting intense.
Yes, my trailer hitch is rated for 8,000#s.


I have No intentions of over loading my coach. I have a lot of money tied up in her and would not risk mechanically damaging her. I would not risk the safety and well being of my precious cargo, my wife and dog Riley.
__________________
Justcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,243
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
WOW, some of the comments are getting intense.
Yes, my trailer hitch is rated for 8,000#s.


I have No intentions of over loading my coach. I have a lot of money tied up in her and would not risk mechanically damaging her. I would not risk the safety and well being of my precious cargo, my wife and dog Riley.
LOL yeah sometimes the conversations go a bit awry
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #31
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #14807
Stupid is as stupid does.


(Forest Gump)
__________________
Latest rig: 2019 Vegas 24.1
Thor-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 202
THOR #8249
Another thing to be aware of is the GCVW also should take braking into account. If we stay within the GCVW, the coach brake system "should" stop the combined vehicles, even without the required auxiliary braking system on the toad.
__________________
Recie Tyson
2016 Thor Hurricane 29M
Lancaster, CA
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 686
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Another thing to be aware of is the GCVW also should take braking into account. If we stay within the GCVW, the coach brake system "should" stop the combined vehicles, even without the required auxiliary braking system on the toad.
I towed a 1500 lb. boat without an auxiliary braking system for years with my Gulfstream B Touring Cruiser. Went through at least two sets of brakes on the MH that I truly believe I wouldn't have if the boat trailer would have had brakes. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of towing any vehicle behind our Class A without auxiliary brakes even if it were legal which I don't believe it is in most states.
__________________

__________________
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×