Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Tow/Haul changes the shift points holding a gear longer - will also downshift sooner... equals higher revs...
I do use it when in hilly areas and towing - certainly would in mountains. It limits the number of upshift/downshifts.

And yes, my V10 certainly revs up into the high 4's at times. It is loud (sitting right next to you) - I haven't added sound insulation to the doghouse yet.

I let it do its thing on cruise for the most part (it seems to downshift quicker when on cruise also - likely the cruise pushing harder on gas as it slows than I might...) unless in windy or wet conditions.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I did all the install work myself. I liked the Roadmaster base plate over the Blue Ox because there was no drilling and I did not have to remove the bumper. Blue Ox requires both of these to install..

Hopkins lighting set up was easy but required a lot of time on your back running the wires through the frame rails.

I went with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system. I like it a lot.

Did all the install by myself with very minimal help from the wife.

Like already said go to Etrailer and watch the videos. Very helpful.

If you can turn a wrench you can do it yourself. I am not very mechanically inclined so if I could do it then almost anyone can.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #23

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Good to know half price what is the model number on that tow bar/brake system
Old 05-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #24

THOR #3156
Its the ready brute elite. Google tgat and it should take you to their site. I believe its bsa.com
FMCA # F464385
Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #25

THOR #3156
Nsa.com they have vidoes also that you should look at
FMCA # F464385
Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #26

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I did all the install work myself. I liked the Roadmaster base plate over the Blue Ox because there was no drilling and I did not have to remove the bumper. Blue Ox requires both of these to install..

Hopkins lighting set up was easy but required a lot of time on your back running the wires through the frame rails.

I went with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system. I like it a lot.

Did all the install by myself with very minimal help from the wife.

Like already said go to Etrailer and watch the videos. Very helpful.

If you can turn a wrench you can do it yourself. I am not very mechanically inclined so if I could do it then almost anyone can.

Jerry

Thanks very helpful info. Was leaning toward Blue Ox because of name recognition but now beginning to rethink that or maybe a hybrid with the best parts of each system if that is possible.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 AM   #27

THOR #3156
Wuth blue ox the bumper needs to come off and tge framed drilled. Roadmaster justs bolts on with 3 bolts on each side. Very easy install.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Our Blue Ox bolted on to the frame. No drilling.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 AM   #29

THOR #3156
Hmmmm interesting. The video i saw on etrailers site showed drilling. Either way its a good product like roadmaster.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 AM   #30

Model: Synergy
THOR #6194
For those of us without auto mechanic skills, does anyone have a recommendation in the Clearwater/Tarpon Springs, Florida area for setting up Tow Bar etc?
U-haul said they don't do Tow Bars.
We read about "Hitch World" but they had bad reviews.
Any other ideas?
Old 05-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #31

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Jackie, Call HitchingPost in Ocala, FL. 352-207-5435, Ask for Tony, They may have some in your area. They did my BlueOx install, awesome people.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #32

THOR #7227
OK decided to buy at etrailer and drive up for a free install. Prices at etrailer were fair and who can beat free install. It is a four hour drive but plan on spending a couple of nights eating St Louis BBQ and just treat it as a mini vacation.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Well I feel good and I feel bad about the V10. I don't want to be climbing a hill at 45MPH but I also don't want my engine reving to 4250RPM's or higher. If I can get up a 6% grade at 3000 to 3500 RPMs and travel at 55 to 60 MPH I will probably be happy. Thanks for all the advise. Think I will look at Blue Ox and Roadmaster products at etrailer. Love that free installation. Of course I will get a quote from Camping World which is close. Any other suggestions? While I can turn a wrench I don't like to. Unless big money can be saved I had rather have someone else with the bruised knuckles and figuring out what to do when things just don't quite line up. Thanks everyone. Still welcome other suggestions.
Hello JamJanTan, I have had 3 of the Triton V-10s I have pulled a 05 Honda accord on a dolly, worked but not as well as 4 down. My 90 Jeep with air and hard top was easy. I used diodes for the tail lights and a reese towbar with rvi electric brake. Never any problems and towed it to about 25,000 miles Nc coast to Key West and out west to Az. Never any problems and plenty of power from my V-10. Now this 2016 Vegas we bought has the V-10 and in Dec we went out to San Francisco and back with many stop offs. We did not tow on this trip. We are now going to tow a 2016 Ford Focus Triton. Because of the different transmission, I decided to drill tail lights into the housings and ran a harness to the front. I installed a Blue ox base plate, battery cutoff switch and ran the wiring for a 12volt plug for the rvi brake system and the break away. I did it all myself and followed the instructions and looked at you tube to see how others did it. Well now I am looking into putting a rock guard on rear of motorhome to keep road crap from bruising the toad. I still plan on using my Reese tow bar with safety chains and cables!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #34

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
THOR #7515
"Well now I am looking into putting a rock guard on rear of motorhome to keep road crap from bruising the toad."

I am interested in a rock guard to protect the dingy, also. I don't believe I have seen any comments or recommendations on rock guards for the Sprinter series of MH?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #35

State: Maryland
THOR #7316
Yes

Quote:
Of course I know you can but is it worth the trouble? I have a Thor 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE, want to dingy tow a 2017 Jeep Unlimited Sport. Anyone have any first hand knowledge or suggestions? Is that Ford Triton all they claim and will tow the Jeep up a 6% grade etc...
Thinking about something to remain on the coach. How much trouble is this marriage going to be?
I just finished setting up my Jeep Unlimited (2016) to be our TOAD. I used Blue Ox's Base Plate and Tow Bars, I used Road Masters Invisibrake System and Hopkins trailer harness to tap into my lights on the Jeep so I didn't have to cut/splice any factory wires.

I also tapped into the brake controller wire on the RV side to use as my brake signal light for the warning light/buzzer.

All of this was done w/ lots of patience and paying attention. If you are half handy and know how to run multi-meter, you'll be fine. It will take you 3X the amount of time it takes to have it professionally done, but I liked the tinkering and enjoyed the project. Thank goodness for Forums and YouTube!

If you have any questions, PM me, I would be glad to help you out and even send photos of my setup.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Hello w6lmj, I went ahead and purchased the Rock Guard from Camping world. I purchased 2, 4' pcs of 1 1/2" angle iron, drilled, cut one piece I think 1-2 inches, painted and bolted the 2 pieces to the back bumper. I purchased the 16" Rock guard and only had to cut a piece out for the hitch and the electrical plug. I cut/trimmed it with roofing knife. No problem. I do have to take the exhaust flange loose at the generator and turn the exhaust pipe so the exhaust goes out the side instead of the rear. My bed room slide is on the rear, which I was going to turn the exhaust anyway because I don't like the idea of it putting fumes under the slide out. If I can be of any help let me know.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 AM   #37

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpo1920 View Post
I just finished setting up my Jeep Unlimited (2016) to be our TOAD. I used Blue Ox's Base Plate and Tow Bars, I used Road Masters Invisibrake System and Hopkins trailer harness to tap into my lights on the Jeep so I didn't have to cut/splice any factory wires.

I also tapped into the brake controller wire on the RV side to use as my brake signal light for the warning light/buzzer.

All of this was done w/ lots of patience and paying attention. If you are half handy and know how to run multi-meter, you'll be fine. It will take you 3X the amount of time it takes to have it professionally done, but I liked the tinkering and enjoyed the project. Thank goodness for Forums and YouTube!

If you have any questions, PM me, I would be glad to help you out and even send photos of my setup.

Thanks but I decided that etrailer was the way to go. I am handy and the tinkering might be fun but decided free install was worth 300 mile drive. Etrailer prices were comparable with most pricing I could find.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #38

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
THOR #7515
Quote:
Thanks but I decided that etrailer was the way to go. I am handy and the tinkering might be fun but decided free install was worth 300 mile drive. Etrailer prices were comparable with most pricing I could find.
Interesting. You are the first to mention a free install from etrailer. I guess I should look into that possibility. I guess I will head back to their website and see if I can learn more about the "free" possibility.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #39

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Actually I have mentioned Etrailer several times on here. I also found out that they will match anyone's standard price. Not sure exactly how the price match works though. I have had quite a bit of experience with Etrailer's free install since we live about 10 miles from them.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 AM   #40

THOR #3156
If they do free install i wouldnt push a price match to them just to save a couple bucks. For me it worth supporting a good company that provides that service
FMCA # F464385